Lag/Latency When Listening Back

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ZebulaJams

Lag/Latency When Listening Back

Post by ZebulaJams »

Hello,

I'm having a small issue here and I'd like to see if I could get to the bottom of it:

I've been using Mixcraft 7 for awhile now and I love the program. However, only about 4 months ago did this problem start happening. I do metal arrangements of video game/anime music and have been doing it for about a year now, and recently, I can record my guitar (or any instrument for that matter) and when I listen to the playback of it, there seems to be a noticeable latency/lag between my guitar timing and my drums (EZDrummer). It sounds fine when I'm playing along with the tune and recording, but the playback seems to have my guitar just barrrrley lagging behind the beat.

I've played around with the preferences by lowering the MS delay (which ended up giving me buzzing noises in audio), increased and decreased the HZ, flip flopped from AISO to WaveRT, and I can't seem to shake it. I think it's worth to note, I don't have a dedicated sound card and I'm using a Line 6 UX2. But I wouldn't need a sound card anyways with the UX2 being connected with a USB, right? (Basically asking if a dedicated sound card is necessary).

Now, I know that I can turn off the whole "Snap to Grid" thing and just manually adjust the recording to fit with the drums/other instruments, which I've been doing and it's been working out all right for me. However I'd like to avoid doing that if at all possible. The dream of just recording, normalizing and moving on to the next track :P Or is it just a case that I have poor timing do you think?

Any thoughts?
Mab098157

Re: Lag/Latency When Listening Back

Post by Mab098157 »

Running 32 or 64 bit version?
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
ZebulaJams

Post by ZebulaJams »

64 I believe. I would for sure check, but I'm actually not around my home PC right now.

I'd like to hear the scenario if it were 32 as well if you have input on both :P
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Should have added some other questions a well...
Are you adding FX after recording?
ZebulaJams wrote: It sounds fine when I'm playing along with the tune and recording
What is you setup for monitoring? Thru interface? from Main bus out?
Are your tracks set at use project tempo? Time stretch?
ZebulaJams wrote:Or is it just a case that I have poor timing do you think?
Always a possibility?
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
ZebulaJams

Post by ZebulaJams »

Mab098157 wrote:Should have added some other questions a well...
Are you adding FX after recording?

Actually, I have some FX and EQ presets that I apply BEFORE I start recording. Would it be better for me to record and then apply my FX presets?
ZebulaJams wrote:
It sounds fine when I'm playing along with the tune and recording
What is you setup for monitoring? Thru interface? from Main bus out?
Are your tracks set at use project tempo? Time stretch?

The way the setup for my guitar works is the guitar runs to my PolyTune, then to my Line 6 UX2 and then right in to the front USB of my PC. (Maybe connecting the USB directly to the on-board USB would help?) The EZDrummer program is set to follow the project tempo to align perfectly with the song, but the guitar and bass are played by free-hand with no tempo adjustments or anything. No Time Stretch applied. (Hopefully I understood the bulk of that question).
ZebulaJams wrote:Or is it just a case that I have poor timing do you think?
Always a possibility?
Kind of hoping this isn't the case :P