Studio Drum sounds and VST sounds.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ktk9

Studio Drum sounds and VST sounds.

Post by ktk9 »

OK, I have to ask, can you tune the pitch, sustain, decay, etc of the drum sounds that are included in Mixcraft?

I have to ask. I finally loaded up Mixcraft Pro Studio 7 earlier tonight, and as a drummer - those internal sounds leave a lot to be desired.

Are those actual samples or are they somehow digitally created (i.e., are they recordings of real drums, or are they synthesized somehow?) I mean, even the crappiest of all drum modules - the Alesis D4 - allows you to change the pitch of the individual drums.
My ddrum2 system sounds exactly like a real drum, including a "second skin" feature that modifies the sound exactly like a real drum's resonant/bottom head.

Can you change the pitch or tune the VST drum sounds?
I like the sounds of large diameter drums, and so far - I am wondering where I get what I am after using MIDI and VST drum sounds.
gypsy101

Re: Studio Drum sounds and VST sounds.

Post by gypsy101 »

not sure which kit(s) you may be using. the Heavy Metal & Staduim are pretty good.
the easiest & fastest way to change the key for me is to do just that-lower the key on that track. there are also "tuned" drums in there so you can use whatever pitch you want.
ktk9

Post by ktk9 »

gypsy101 wrote:not sure which kit(s) you may be using. the Heavy Metal & Staduim are pretty good.
the easiest & fastest way to change the key for me is to do just that-lower the key on that track. there are also "tuned" drums in there so you can use whatever pitch you want.

So, if you change the key of the track it will lower the pitch of the drums?

AWESOME! That's exactly what I was looking for.
drumandstage

Post by drumandstage »

Being a drummer myself, I opted to purchase ezdrummer2. The basic package didn't offer a wide variety of options, but it has stuff adequate for what I am doing, and there are add on packs, as well.

And a heads up...if you want Cymbal Sounds, go to Paiste's site. They have samples of every cymbal they make. There are good sounds in there and they are Free, easy to down load, and easy to use in MC7!
Sweetwater Creation Station 450 (64GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 3 2TB HDDs, Windows 10 Home 64-bit), MX8, Studio One 4 Pro, Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

As Gypsy wrote "not sure which kit(s) you may be using" so its a little hard to know just what you have tried or are doing, so its not easy to make real good suggestions.

There is much you can do with samples, or the various kits included in Mixcraft, and the suggested EZDrummer has its strengths too. Though the sounds themselves are kind of "cooked in" you can hunt for expansion kits that suit your needs. But the intention of EZD is really to help avoid the heavy sculpting of samples.
If you really want "tunability" you might find other programs more suited to your needs.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

drumandstage wrote: And a heads up...if you want Cymbal Sounds, go to Paiste's site. They have samples of every cymbal they make. There are good sounds in there and they are Free, easy to down load, and easy to use in MC7!
That sounds like a great resource - thanks for the info. I have had a look on the Paiste UK website and cant find a link.

I am sure I am just not looking in the right place but do you have a link?

Cheers

John
drumandstage

Post by drumandstage »

fredfish wrote:
drumandstage wrote: And a heads up...if you want Cymbal Sounds, go to Paiste's site. They have samples of every cymbal they make. There are good sounds in there and they are Free, easy to down load, and easy to use in MC7!
That sounds like a great resource - thanks for the info. I have had a look on the Paiste UK website and cant find a link.

I am sure I am just not looking in the right place but do you have a link?

Cheers

John
I should have been more helpful in my original post...

Here is an example: http://paiste.com/e/cymbals.php?categor ... menuid=239

In the red block at the lower left part of the screen you will see a link to Download MP3 Soundfiles.

Just navigate to other lines of cymbals to download the samples from that line/series.

Let me know if I have done a poor job of explaining.
Sweetwater Creation Station 450 (64GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 3 2TB HDDs, Windows 10 Home 64-bit), MX8, Studio One 4 Pro, Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre
ktk9

Post by ktk9 »

drumandstage wrote:Being a drummer myself, I opted to purchase ezdrummer2. The basic package didn't offer a wide variety of options, but it has stuff adequate for what I am doing, and there are add on packs, as well.

And a heads up...if you want Cymbal Sounds, go to Paiste's site. They have samples of every cymbal they make. There are good sounds in there and they are Free, easy to down load, and easy to use in MC7!

Thanks, and LOL - I already have the Paiste sounds. ;)
ktk9

Post by ktk9 »

OK, how do we sample the individual plug in instruments sounds? I guess you would call it "audition" them?

I'm starting to learn the layout.