Recording Audio From a Virtual Instrument

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Carlos58

Recording Audio From a Virtual Instrument

Post by Carlos58 »

Hi All,

Complete newbie to Mixcraft and VST's in general so this question may well be (hopefully) easily answered by someone.

If I bring in for example Arturia's V4 Moog Modular it will play a sequence and or notes played and record the midi but doesn't record any changes I make such as Resonance, Frequency etc so logically recording the direct audio as can be done in Reaper seems to be the only way to achieve it.

I've read the manual (I'm a dinosaur, bare with me) :wink: but saw nothing to help so my question is, without diving in to the guts of Mixcraft, can I record resulting audio on the fly and if so how as logic says use the monitor which is how I got it to work in Reaper but it is greyed out in Mixcraft.

PC Specs are Win7 64bit, quadcore intel, 24g ram, C-Media PCI Audio card, Asio4All

Cheers
Carlos
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Re: Recording Audio From a Virtual Instrument

Post by Acoustica Eric »

So when you record midi data using a controller of some sort, the Resonance, Frequency etc which I assume you are controlling as you play the controller? Are not getting put into the midi file? So when you play back what you recorded, you do not hear those aspects?
Does it do the same thing with other virtual instruments?
Carlos58

Post by Carlos58 »

Acoustica Eric wrote:So when you record midi data using a controller of some sort, the Resonance, Frequency etc which I assume you are controlling as you play the controller? Are not getting put into the midi file? So when you play back what you recorded, you do not hear those aspects?
Does it do the same thing with other virtual instruments?
Just tested the 'Glass Viper', I have my controller (Beatstep) adjusting the octave while playing a sequence and while I can hear the change nothing is recorded. As a further test I tried the Keylab 61 with just two notes repeating, and while it recorded the two notes, again the octave change wasn't.

Cheers
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Select that parameter on the automation lane, then arm the automation lane and record. Check out the Mixcraft 7 automation tutorials, in particular the one called "Automating Effect and Instrument Parameters."

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Carlos58

Post by Carlos58 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Select that parameter on the automation lane, then arm the automation lane and record. Check out the Mixcraft 7 automation tutorials, in particular the one called "Automating Effect and Instrument Parameters."

Greg
Cheers Greg, the video show's it working so all should now be good.

Appreciate the help.