Win 10 Anniversary update

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

JohnS

Win 10 Anniversary update

Post by JohnS »

Hi
I have not yet updated and wondering what experiences anyone is having with this new update.

All the best
John :D
Rolling Estonian

Re: Win 10 Anniversary update

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Just updated yesterday, not much of a change in terms of the OS and didn't have any issues with audio, drivers or MC7. It's mostly a big change for Cortana and Edge, both of which I don't use.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

:lol: Upon firing up W10 I fired Cortana faster than you can ask "Siri, what's the square root of 0?" :lol:

I explored Edge for a few minutes. Typical Microsoft mediocrity in an effort to be everything to everyone. Bypassed. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Hi
I would like to get rid of Cortana completely and Microsoft edge as I use Firefox.
Also that useless Ink thingy!!
I have switched every switch I can think of off on my Internet computer to get rid of the rubbish
I run Magix film studio on my Internet computer,mainly for holidays etc.
On my Music I7 Computer I do not want any of Microsofts rubbish at all on there and would love to unload Cortana and xbox ,Inks and all, but they all come back In task manager
Microsoft should offer a basic Windows for Musical purposes and cut the gimmicks "Pokepopokemopicklepokemon " : :x
A declutter program would be useful.

All the best
John
Rolling Estonian

Unfortunately you can't do anything about deleting Cortana, Edge or other MS built in products. You can disable Cortana and make Firefox your default browser for all applications, that's what I did and have had no issues.

M
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

Rolling Estonian wrote:Unfortunately you can't do anything about deleting Cortana, Edge or other MS built in products. You can disable Cortana and make Firefox your default browser for all applications, that's what I did and have had no issues.

M
Same
Edge isn't much use without a full complement of extensions like eg Firefox. I prefer Firefox over Chrome because I can also use it with (adblock) extensions on my phone (unlike Chrome)
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
Rolling Estonian

I used to be a Firefox guy but I like how Chrome is tied together so that it's there, phone or pc, the extensions are really handy too. Chrome has a built in ad blocker which is okay but probably not as good as Firefox.

M
Rolling Estonian

I just messed around with Windows Ink, I like it. Don't know how much I'll use it but it seems like it could be useful, drawing on screenshots at the click of a button is a cool feature.

M
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Hi
Cannot update yet as I get a 0x80070057 error and a lot of people are gettings this.
I load up and then verifies.On 2% windows says there Is a problem 0x80070057 error.
Went to Microsoft site and they say they are working on It.
I will just have to wait until there Is a permanent fix for this.
I do not really want all the new things that the anniversary update offers,so I am wondering If I ignore this big update whether my music machine will carry on loading security updates only In the future.
Some people are ok and some not. Murphys Law is involved here.!! :lol:
All the best
John :P
cremley

Post by cremley »

I have a dedicated Mixcraft PC that is not connected to the internet. Air-Gapped, I guess you would call it.

Have the Anniversary Edition (at least all updates and including that). I have to physically connect my PC to get updates and what-not.

Since there is some data gathering by MS, I just choose to leave my PC disconnected and provide updates with a flash-drive.

Also...I don't have to worry about updates happening when I'm recording some super riff...as well as Windows reporting my every move.

Everything works great with my AMD A10 processor.

Good luck and Jam On !!!
kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy »

cremley wrote:I have a dedicated Mixcraft PC that is not connected to the internet. Air-Gapped, I guess you would call it.

Have the Anniversary Edition (at least all updates and including that). I have to physically connect my PC to get updates and what-not.

Since there is some data gathering by MS, I just choose to leave my PC disconnected and provide updates with a flash-drive.

Also...I don't have to worry about updates happening when I'm recording some super riff...as well as Windows reporting my every move.

Everything works great with my AMD A10 processor.

Good luck and Jam On !!!
I know those who did that but stayed with W7. I have 3 machines on 10. One is still on W7. I upgraded it to 10, made an image and reverted back to 7. The only reason for this is I still need XP mode. Some 3rd party virtual XP machines wont work with older USB hardware.

With every new MS OS I try to make it look like the previous one.

I had to convert 2 W7 Pro machines to W10. They all ran W7 Home and an upgrade to W7 Pro anytime upgrade turned these into OEM licenses. Which means I can't alter CPU or board. After W10 Pro upgrades they went back to Retail licenses.
cremley

Post by cremley »

Finally updated all of my computers to Win10 x64. Mixcraft and my devices have worked great in all situations.

Outboard equipment...

- Tascam US-1200
- Roland UM-ONE Midi to USB Interface
- Fender Mustang1 (USB)
* ASIO4All

I have to use the ASIO4All to get the Mustang to record, but it works with the Tascam Interface as well. No latency issues.

I think that Win10 is better than 8 or 7 for audio.

Instead of Air Gapping my Dedicated Mixcraft PC, I have connected it (now that it is Win10), but set the "Quiet Time" so it won't update when I'm using it. Don't go surfing or much on it, but it seems to work.

Overall, very pleased with Win10.

Cheers !!!