Biting the Windows 10 bullet

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

kr236rk

Re: Biting the Windows 10 bullet

Post by kr236rk »

I am unimpressed with W10, I had to clear it off my laptop - a nightmare. I have it running on a venerable Dell which I use as my DAW machine, the Groove player crashes on a regular basis, nothing beats the Windows Media Player from XP days up to W7, never ever had that crash on me.

What I especially loathe about W10 is that after a month it removes all the files you need to revert, including the ability to roll back to earlier start points, so I had to start from scratch to get W7 back on my laptop.

Was told the W10 is a great programme on new computers which have also been tested for it. It follows that if you run W10 on a W7 machine or earlier, you are gambling. The computer might take to 10 or it might spit it out, but don't leave it on over a month or 10 will vaporise all your earlier back up files. That month sucks, 6 months maybe - or why mess with other people's computers at all? It is creepy.

Jeepers Creepers ;)
Ric

M-Audio USB interface, MC8, MC10, Yamahas 102c analogue mixer, Windows 10 QuadCore [upgrade], USB EWI, Alesis Q25 Midi keyboard, stomp boxes, drum pads, guitars, dynamic mic, condenser mic

http://www.reverbnation.com/rickemper
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

kr236rk wrote: It is creepy.
What's really creepy is that it's possible for MS to disfavor small software developers by rendering their software 'buggy' or incompatible (or slow) while on the other hand favoring others with streamlined service... much like AT&T makes one pay for 'fast' internet.

There was a small company that took on WIndows years ago (Geoworks) and they had the right idea but MS smashed them.

There are some who push for alternatives like Linux Sarah KDE (now in beta) with the Plasma Desktop and they are almost where they need to be. (If you'd try it out on an older computer you'd see what I mean.)

Although, I do understand why developers want to keep their software proprietary but if it me, I'd definitely have another egg in another basket and as the difficult days continue to pass there's plenty of reason to. -h
botface

Post by botface »

kitekrazy wrote:I was worried most of my M-Audio stuff would turn into doorstops.

M-Audio AP2496, 192, FW 410 all work.

The biggest surprise is my old Terratec EWX still runs and it's using Vista 64 beta drivers.
Interesting. I haven't upgraded because I wasn't sure about my Delta 66. I'm surprised the Terratec works. I retired my EWX 2496 when I upgraded to Win 7 as I couldn't find a driver for it. Do you know where I can get the driver you're using as I've always been fond of that card and I'd like to get it working again?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

As I've mentioned before, most audio interfaces don't seem to have a problem. With a Line6 UX2, I had to download new drivers. I've run into some Tascams where running Mixcraft in Windows 8 compatibility mode helped. But most audio interfaces seem to work, even if they don't have new Windows 10 drivers.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
botface

Post by botface »

So are you saying that my EWX 2496 should work under Win 7 using the XP drivers (that's the last working copy I have)?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

botface wrote:So are you saying that my EWX 2496 should work under Win 7 using the XP drivers (that's the last working copy I have)?
Sorry, I was talking about Windows 10 and soundcards in general. Looks like the EWX 2496 is pretty old. I take it you've tried using it with Windows 7 and it didn't work? If you haven't tried it, you should try it.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
botface

Post by botface »

No, I didn't try it under Win 7. As I couldn't find a Win 7 driver and the card was obsolete (as far as the manufacturer was concerned) I assumed it wouldn't work. I'll give it a try as you suggest next time I fancy fiddling around with my setup
cremley

Post by cremley »

FWIW...

I have several copies of Win10 on different hardware and it all runs great. I'm not stealing licenses, but I have tried Mixcraft 64 bit on the following with Win10x64...

AMD Athlonx2. Just a slow two core processor. Worked great until the hard drive puked, but had a hard time with all of the "wrappers" for 32bit plug ins.... high CPU usage where it would affect playback with lots of vst's.

AMD A 10 (Pre Direct X 12) 4 core, works all around and has very little cpu usage.

Dell i5 laptop (2 core- hyperthreading). Works good, but higher CPU Usage than the A10 above

Dell i7 Desktop. Even better. Almost no CPU Usage. On sale at Dell and quite happy.

Now... saying all that, here is what is connected...

- Tascam US-1200 Audio Interface
- Fender Mustang 1 (USB Interface)
- Roland UM-ONE USB 2 USB interface
* ASIO4All driver (to get Fender and Tascam to work together).

I get a 5.7 ms latency (according to Mixcraft settings) and don't have problems with pops and clicks. I will say that the slowest Athlon (above) did have to have the setting to be around 20 ms latency for proper playback and recording.

Speaking on that-- the Dell laptop was able to get to 12 ms latency without problems. The A10 could go to 5 ms, but the CPU usage went way up. It all depends on your motherbord chipset. i7 has not had problems with x32 vst's.

Obviously, the faster the CPU, the better. If you are light on the vst's (or use X32 Mixcraft) you should be good. Win10 will constantly be updating, but there is a "Quiet Hours" setting that will keep Win10 from messing with you.

Another thing is to make sure that your drivers are installed correctly....newest version or "brought in" with an in-line upgrade. All of my equipment has Win10 drivers.

I think that Win10 is the best for PC so far. I just wish MS would get with Steinberg or whomever and lean someting.

I hope this helps.

Cheers !!!!
kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy »

botface wrote:So are you saying that my EWX 2496 should work under Win 7 using the XP drivers (that's the last working copy I have)?
Terratec had Windows Vista 64 beta drivers that can be gotten from their ftp site. They worked great in W7x64. Eventually the issue is not with drivers but on new motherboards even with PCI slots some cards don't work as well.
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

I bought a new Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 MKii and it wouldn't even install on basic windows 7 sp1, needed some specific updates from Microsoft to install drivers and run properly. Focusrite helped me with getting it going. It said on the box "win 7 compatible" but it obviously isn't. Focusrite and I agreed to disagree about this.

It will not install with basic win 7 or win 7 sp1, but will install and run without issue on a win 7 computer that has all updates to 2016 on it apparently. It still wont run on USB 3.0 though, I haven't bothered to pursue that since i have a USB 2.0 port and everything is ok there. Apparently, this is also due to certain updates that must be installed on win 7. I said they shouldn't be claiming something is win 7 compatible, if it won't even install on win 7 (without updates). They said that it is win 7 compatible if all the updates are installed.

I wish windows had not moved to the auto update thing and just released qualified service packs. I think we are almost at the point that if you want to purchase a new audio interface, you will have to have windows 10 on your computer or it just won't work, or be too much messing about to get it to work.

I would feel ok about running win 10 if my computer was up to it and I was only using it as a music studio with Mixcraft (which I might do), but I have a lot invested in old video editing, image editing and other software that I used to use professionally. None of it will work reliably under win 10, I check the forums. No update for me at the moment.
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Make sure you computer has been 'tested for Windows 10', most haven't and Windows will say that when you complain, they'll say "but you computer model wasn't tested for Windows 10 - did you not read the small print?" etc. I had to eject W10 from my laptop. I also find W10 cumbersome and its audio program 'Groove' is rubbish compared to the Windows Media Player. Windows 10 is the new Windows Vista, some love it, many loathe it.
Ric

M-Audio USB interface, MC8, MC10, Yamahas 102c analogue mixer, Windows 10 QuadCore [upgrade], USB EWI, Alesis Q25 Midi keyboard, stomp boxes, drum pads, guitars, dynamic mic, condenser mic

http://www.reverbnation.com/rickemper