Installation

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jedidiah

Installation

Post by jedidiah »

Hey everyone! Good to be back! just glad dedicated people are still here!

I am in between jobs and received and email about updating to Mixcraft 7, unfortunately I am still using Mixcraft 5, I cannot update at this time until my financial situation changes. The offer was for about $49.00. "Excellent" but it expired..... My life has been upside down for two years and I am just now getting on track again to use my Mixcraft. I was wondering, I have Windows 7, on one pc, and Windows 8, on another, I specifically use Windows 7 only for Mixcraft and jumping around on line here and there. Cannot get on line presently, that's another issue. Ok, my question, I considered erasing the hard drive on Windows 7 completely, and installing Windows XP. Reason giving, I believe I can run my Windows suite 2001 and 2002 on Windows XP, I have tried many times to configure, re-configure and and try to put Windows suite 01 and 02 onto Windows 7 but to no avail, and have entered into forums to find answers to this problem but again, no luck. So, long story short, if I do this, wipe the hardrive on Windows 7, and install Windows XP, because it has served me well on many occasions with many programs oppose to what I have now...Can I run Mixcraft 7 onto XP and have a victory or am I kidding myself, has anyone else accomplished this? I have another PC, Windows Vista but its doormat presently until I re-place the screen, its broken, and like I said, I am in between jobs, I won't perform this until several months from now when I can afford a new screen and put it on Vista. I just want to be able to use Mixcraft 7 on Windows XP, without taking hours of updating drivers, rolling back drivers and what have you...

I now have a headache, and I think others will too by reading this, sorry, just looking for some answers and want to use Windows XP.

Thank you ahead of time because I have had excellent answers here before and I did create a song and used You Tube to post it, I am to update that too, but,... I have many irons in the fire presently. Cannot wait to get more situated so I can again enjoy Mixcraft and all it offers, many people are still not aware for all it can do to one single song, its amazing!!!

Jedidiah
Manfred

Re: Installation

Post by Manfred »

I have Mixcraft Pro running on an old notebook under Windows XP for test purposes without any issues.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

What 'wiping' program do you intend to use? A simple 'format' won't cut it.

Microsoft is sneaky. They can dedicate a portion of your HDD to persistent code which can mess up any attempts to install other versions. So, beware of 'cleaning' discs which need Windows to operate.

I've used this (DBAN) in the past: http://www.dban.org/ Download the free .iso file and not the commercial one.

Another thing you can do is download a free linux .iso file and install it before you install XP, using the partition manager to 'break up' the HDD in as many pieces as you want.

Have fun. -h
jedidiah

Post by jedidiah »

Hey....wow, this I didn't know. I'm coming back tonight...I have orientation for new employment but want to wrap this up. Truly...I don't know what is best at the moment to do, good old Microsoft...always making sure they trip you up. I have to find the format in pc first ti know which to choose but yes...wanted to wipe out 7 and use XP disk...of course it cant be easy ha!
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

I am curious.

I assume that you mean Microsoft Works Suite 2001 and 2002?

If that is the only reason for going with XP then why not try libreoffice instead - which is completely free? I do realise that we get used to certain programs and of course there are file compatibility problems (for example Works can open MS Office document but MS Office cant open native Works documents).

Cheers

John
jedidiah

Post by jedidiah »

Good Evening gentlemen

I am back from a long day of Orientation and ha...cha....cha, glad that is over with. Ok, yes, Microsoft Suite 2001 and 2002 is exactly the reason I am going back, outside of other reasons, I love love love "Picture it on 2001," Its much better that my Printshop 20. I have not attempted to install Printshop as of yet on 7, I dont think Windows 8 will allow it, not sure yet. I was able to do many things in picture it, unlike any program I have had. It served me well and I was able to create my business card in the fashion to which I am accustomed, but, had to learn it all new in Printshop and well, I havent put that on my Windows 7 yet. I purchased Windows 7 basically for use of Mixcraft, but..I want to use it all. I did go to a Windows 7 forum and followed everything people said to do at one time for a possible success with suite being installed ...to no avail. I have Vista on an HP desktop, but, the screen is messed up. As soon ad my money adds up again, I am going to purchase a screen and put it on myself, however, suite won't install on it either... I am tempted to go to the pc shop where I live, they have tons of goodies and oldies, maybe I can just find another older tower, strip the HD, then load XP, the old way...Ha, the best way

I have another screen in basement I can use.
jedidiah

Post by jedidiah »

Manfred wrote:I have Mixcraft Pro running on an old notebook under Windows XP for test purposes without any issues.
Which Pro are you running?