Stuttering with Phantom Power?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

andeejoyce

Stuttering with Phantom Power?

Post by andeejoyce »

Hi, on the suggestion of some nice people on these forums about a year ago, I got a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (1st gen) to record and edit sound files with. I mostly love it. However, I've been having serious problems lately with sound files seizing up and stuttering when using a microphone that requires phantom power (which most of the good ones do, right?). It's very frustrating to have all these timing errors to fix when recording a lead vocal, when I know I sang it correctly in the first place.

And I did isolate the problem specifically to phantom power; when using a line in to record electric instruments, or using a non-phantom powered microphone, there's no stuttering. My laptop is a ThinkPad Edge 545, with memory increased to 8 GB, and it has an SSD drive in it, plus I have an external hard drive that runs at 7200 rpm. So, not the greatest machine in the world but not garbage, either. And my drivers are up to date. But it just seems that over the last couple of months Mixcraft 6 has decided it hates microphones that use phantom power. What to do? Thanks.
andeejoyce

Re: Stuttering with Phantom Power?

Post by andeejoyce »

Oh, and to add: I also tried using it with a powered USB hub (Amazon Basics 2.0, which Focusrite's own site recommended), and the problem persisted.
geobee

Post by geobee »

Hi, to me, the problem you are having would be within the interface, not Mixcraft, as the normal mics etc are recording fine. It could well be a voltage drop within the Focusrite when it is loaded up to supply the phantom power. Some phantom powered mics like the full 48volts to operate, some will work fine on , say, 24 volts. You don't say it this mic was working fine a while back, and just started to fault, or you have recently tried using it. I have the 2i2 but have no issues powering up my mic which is a Focusrite unit, and it may be a better match. It could be a latency issue, which is being triggered within the interface, because of the voltage/current drop, if your mic is drawing more that what the interface can supply on the phantom power output. Just a thought, as electronics is my field, more so that DAW recording.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I would suspect Geoff is on the right track.
The USB port used may not be able to supply sufficient current for various possible reasons, as needed to supply both the interface and mic's needs.
Seems the powered USB hub suggestion may have been on the right track, but simply didn't work, which doesn't rule out the USB port power question.
Obviously, it could also be a fault in the mic or interface.

If available, it may be useful to try other USB ports on you computer. (Not hubs, main ports, such as on the back.) If available, you may want to try an external power source for the interface.
There are tools and ways to verify sufficient power to the USB ports as well. There could be a computer power supply problem tat effects that circuit.
From there unfortunately, you my be faced with the need to try a different mic and/or interface, or test yours on another computer to narrow in on the cause.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

Unfortunately, the Scarlet 2i4 is USB-powered only.

The good news is that a small phantom power supply (for the mic) should solve the problem and not set you back that much. For example, the Behringer MicroPower PS400 sells in the U.S. for $25 USD:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PS400

Obviously, you can spend more and get another brand/model, but that's up to you.
andeejoyce

Post by andeejoyce »

Thanks! So I would hook the mic up to the Behringer and connect the Behringer to the Scarlett? I really like the mic preamp in the Scarlett so I'd like to keep using it if I can get this annoying problem solved.
geobee

Post by geobee »

Hi, the device mentioned is just a phantom supply for the mic. Just need to connect your mic through that, and then to the Focusrite. It means that the mic will be getting full power supply without relying on the Focusrite phantom power. No need to even switch it on when this method is used.
andeejoyce

Post by andeejoyce »

Fantastic. Thank you!
andeejoyce

Post by andeejoyce »

P.S. I did switch the USB hub from my 2.0 port to a 3.0 port, even though it's a 2.0 hub, and tried recording with it and it was better but still with a few stutters that needed editing. No warping of sound like before, though. So that seems to indicate that my mic (Audio Technica AT3035, an oldie but a goodie!) needs MOAR POWAH, like y'all said.
WhiRz

Post by WhiRz »

There are tools and ways to verify sufficient power to the USB ports as well. There could be a computer power supply problem tat effects that circuit.
From there unfortunately, you my be faced with the need to try a different mic and/or interface, or test yours on another computer to narrow in on the cause.
Mark, can you share your "tools" to check if the USB ports give sufficient power to the external audio interface ? Or to check computer power supply ?
Because I do think that I got that types of problems.

(sorry it'll be a little out of the thread :/)
WhiRz

Post by WhiRz »

Up ^^"
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Sorry for the delay, I've been having a rather busy life. 8)

Keeping in mind I am not a computer tech, so there are probably many ways and tricks I don't know.

Back in the days when USB was something new, it wasn't unusual to see data ports that didn't support powered circuits. Sometimes they were data only. We didn't use USB powered hardware, nor did we use it for a charging port.
A simple trick I sometimes used was to check with something like one of these USB lights- Something like:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/45818469?wmls ... 09&veh=sem

Obviously, if it lights, you have power.
But now I think we sometimes have power, but it may not be robust enough to supply some of the components we are trying to operate. Consider that the supply is probably either 5v or 12v (I think) and rated at a very low amperage. Now we have things like interfaces that step up the voltage (Transformer) and if you have any understanding of electrical circuits, that step up would dramatically reduce available current. Furthermore I suspect that some of these modern components require enough current to create a challenge for some power supplies (and the circuits to the USB port perhaps).

Anyway, that general description provided, the question is how to test?
In general, this kind of test is best done on a "loaded" circuit. That is to say connected and powered up. Simply checking for voltage with the component unplugged wont provide useful results. You need to test for "voltage drop" on a loaded circuit. If you are unfamiliar with that term, the rest of this is best considered for knowledge only. Don't try this at home!

This can be done by a knowledgeable tech by accessing the circuits with the case off of the computer. DONT EXPLORE IF YOU ARE ANYTHING LESS THAN SURE OF YOURSELF And are familiar with what a "high impedance DMM" is and have some basic knowledge of its operation.

As for the previously mentioned tools, there are "break out" boards that provide access to test the circuits while connected and operating as well. Still don't recommend this for the unsure, but to provide knowledge, theres this kind of device for example:
http://friedcircuits.us/docs/usb-tester

Simplified, what you would be monitoring would be the vcc and gnd circuits, watching for a drop below the necessary threshold for normal operation. I am not certain what the standards would be, but I would guess taking a nominal unloaded test for a baseline, and watching for a loss of more than 15% max would be in the ballpark.
And fwiw, I would suspect economy power supplies would likely be the first suspect here.

Perhaps a knowledgeable computer tech will correct me or fill in the missing gaps.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
WhiRz

Post by WhiRz »

Thank you for the tips !

Even it looks too technical to testing it "DIY".

I think I have to bring it to a professional to check. But that's a real pain in the ass when you bought your computer brand new and have those kind of problems...

Sometimes, my mouses wont load when I switch on the computer... That's crazy...
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

You say mouseS, which may infer a second problem.

Many USB drivers often seem to get confused when multiple devices are plugged in, and especially on startup. The sequence of start up and recognition can be out of order. Others seem to work flawlessly whatever you throw at them.
Some seem to prefer to see devices plugged in on startup, others seem to need to have the USB device plugged in after the computer is booted up fully.

Similarly, wireless network devices drivers can function wildly differently. I currently have two mobile wireless systems, one that struggles with any change and often needs to be reset, the other seems to almost know ahead of time and has never ever even made me aware it was there. (Knock on wood.)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Does it still stutter if you plug your mic into the other input on the 2i4?

When you wrote about 'timing errors' does that mean the information is still there and you just have to make a deletion on the timeline to connect it up?

I had that problem in another situation and it was an innocuous program polling the cpu at different intervals... a real PITA to find and squash BTW. -h