Roland A300 Pro controller?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ecaggiani

Roland A300 Pro controller?

Post by ecaggiani »

Can anyone confirm that the Roland A300 Pro keyboard midi controller works with Mixcraft? I'm looking to get a simple keyboard controller to be able to more easily add keyboard tracks to my recordings (the musical typing is cool, but not as easy to use as actual keys).

I've also been looking at the Novation Launchkey 25, which I know works with Mixcraft. Just curious about the Roland A300 Pro since it looks like it has a few more features than the Novation.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

-Ed
Acoustica Greg

Re: Roland A300 Pro controller?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The Roland A300 Pro should work just fine with Mixcraft, although I haven't had any feedback on it.

Of course, in technical support, no news can often be good news.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
ecaggiani

Post by ecaggiani »

Thanks. Yeah, I figured, but was looking for anyone who has tried it in case there were any setup issues.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

ecaggiani wrote:Thanks. Yeah, I figured, but was looking for anyone who has tried it in case there were any setup issues.
There shouldn't be any setup issues, you'd just map the non-keyboard controls as needed (as you would with any MIDI controller).

But maybe somebody out there has one?
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
ecaggiani

Post by ecaggiani »

Well, I pulled the trigger, so I guess I'll have to report back how it works once I receive it :-)
Tripzy

Post by Tripzy »

I have the A800 its wonderful......... works great with Mixcraft.
ecaggiani

Post by ecaggiani »

Great to hear! Was it plug and play, or did you need to manually program it? I'm ok if it needs to be manual, but just curious.
mick

Post by mick »

With the A800 you have a superb keyboard! I definitely suggest using a sustain pedal (I have the M-audio piano style) and for the Acoustica VB3 organ you can map the sliders to the tonebars and the mod wheel to the leslie on/off effect.

I have the Nektar LX 61 but wish I had got the A 800, nevertheless I have no complaints whatsoever with the Nektar but with the Roland I could have linked it via the midi in/out to a Technics keyboard to make a 2 manual setup, in your case you now have an option of adding the BK7m module one day and you have a backing band to play with. :D

Here are some tips from a guy to help get you introduced. 8)

https://youtu.be/imJhkzFf2AY
Tripzy

Post by Tripzy »

I've pretty much plugged and played, been meaning to dig into it a little more and fine tune it, but so far its been just perfect! I do need a new sustain pedal since the ones I have are backwards, probably be able to set that in the software as well! I think you'll be pleased!

Tripzy
ecaggiani

Post by ecaggiani »

OK now I can't wait until it arrives!
mick

Post by mick »

Tripzy wrote: I do need a new sustain pedal since the ones I have are backwards
On the bottom of my M-Audio sustain pedal there is a tiny slide switch that changes the mode of the pedal (it probably reverses the polarity) so check if you have a similar switch. The option is to do some soldering and swap the wires on the jack or within the pedal and see if that resolves the problem.
ecaggiani

Post by ecaggiani »

The A300 just arrived last night so I decided to put it through its paces. I covered Creep by Radiohead. This was my first time recording using MIDI instruments in Mixcraft. I didn't like how my vocals came out, so I'm redoing it. I'll re-post it when it's fixed :-)

Anyway, still working out setup issues with the controller in Mixcraft. Seems like all the default mappings that come built-in don't quite work right, so I'm just mapping it all myself. One question... how do I save the MIDI mappings I create in Mixcraft? I mean, I click the MIDI icon to go into learn mode, map everything as I want it, and then what? I think when I closed Mixcraft and restarted, the mapping was wiped. I see how I can save maps for VST instruments, but I'm talking about the basic DAW control mappings.

Any tips are much appreciated! So far, I'm loving my A300 ☺️
ecaggiani

Post by ecaggiani »

Ok, here's the updated mix with better vocals :-)
https://soundcloud.com/ed-caggiani/creep-1