Mixcraft 7 wont show waveform on audio clip

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

JoeDaBro

Re: Mixcraft 7 wont show waveform on audio clip

Post by JoeDaBro »

I arm the track every time i record.

but now when i play an audio file, mixcraft just freezes

please try to fix this and help me :(
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Go into File>Preferences and make sure the correct record and playback devices are selected in the dropdown boxes. Mixcraft throws a complete wobbler if you even think of changing/unplugging audio devices.
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

Ok, I only breezed through the rest of the thread, and it seems more like the OP's problem may be different from mine (original recording levels are too low to register a waveform?). But my symptoms are the same.

I've been trying to figure out how to mix down multiple tracks into a single track. Best way I could figure out was to use the mix down to wav command, select the tracks of interest and mix down the selected tracks, then import the new track into the project and mute the originals.

I did this once, it worked fine. Track came in and looked fine. Waveforms looked right and it did the right thing in the mix down. I did notice it was now a stereo track, whereas the original tracks were mono... No big deal to me at this point. As I listened to it, however, I realized I hadn't reset the volume on the tracks to 0db before I did the mix down. So I repeated the process and mixed down my selection again. This time, when I brought the track in, there was no waveform shown in the clip. It sounds just fine, there is just no waveform in the clip, where there was the first time I performed the process.

One other point. In between mixdowns, prior to the second mix down, I did stretch the track vertically so I could more easily see the wave form. When I realized my mistake, I deleted the original clip from the track before I imported the new mixdown clip into the same track. And the track was still stretched vertically when I imported the new track.

To fix it, I saved the project, exited Mixcraft, then restarted Mixcraft. Without any intervention the track once again displayed the waveform. I also noticed the track was no longer stretched vertically and its height had been reset.

P.S. It sure would be nice if there was a way to mix down multiple tracks into a single track and have it automatically insert the new track into the project. Not a big deal, tho. Am I missing something and the feature does exist, but I just couldn't find it?

Great product, thanks.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

FlyingsCool wrote:...This time, when I brought the track in, there was no waveform shown in the clip. It sounds just fine, there is just no waveform in the clip, where there was the first time I performed the process.
That's a bug, I've reported it before but it's not been fixed. You overwrote the first mixdown file the second time around, right? You didn't give it a new name, right?

Next time it happens, right click the channel and "mix to new audio track" and the waveform will appear in the newly mixed track. Alternatively, give it a different name when you export to wav.

P.S. It sure would be nice if there was a way to mix down multiple tracks into a single track and have it automatically insert the new track into the project. Not a big deal, tho. Am I missing something and the feature does exist, but I just couldn't find it?
Nope, you are doing it the one and only way.
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

Yep to both your questions...
JoeDaBro

Post by JoeDaBro »

I'm using my audiobox Asio driver

I've uninstalled mixcraft and installed the latest version many times and it still doesn't work, so I don't think it's my audio problem. It might be a mixcraft problem
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

JoeDaBro wrote:I'm using my audiobox Asio driver

I've uninstalled mixcraft and installed the latest version many times and it still doesn't work, so I don't think it's my audio problem. It might be a mixcraft problem
Hi,

It's not a problem with Mixcraft 7. Lots of people use Audioboxes with Mixcraft. When you click on the arrow next to the Arm button on your audio track, what are you selecting, exactly? Here's what it looks like when I want to record from my audio interface:

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
JoeDaBro

Post by JoeDaBro »

That's exactly how I record but but it still doesn't work. I've been using universal control, the driver for the audiobox, and asio4all but I still can't record. Is there any solution for mixcraft stuttering when I play audio?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

JoeDaBro wrote:That's exactly how I record but but it still doesn't work. I've been using universal control, the driver for the audiobox, and asio4all but I still can't record. Is there any solution for mixcraft stuttering when I play audio?
Hi,

Don't use ASIO4All, use the ASIO driver from Presonus. Download the latest drivers here:

https://www.presonus.com/support/downloads

If audio is not coming into your computer, Mixcraft won't be able to record it. If audio is coming into your computer, and you've armed the track correctly, you will have recorded audio in those clips even if you can't see a waveform. You can increase the track height in that case. You might also try to figure out why the volume is is low. What are you recording? How is everything connected? Is there a microphone involved? If so, what kind, exactly?

Greg
JoeDaBro

Post by JoeDaBro »

I've been using my audiobox asio and it still doesn't work. My sound is going into my computer. My microphone is a CAD GXL2200
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

JoeDaBro wrote:I've been using my audiobox asio and it still doesn't work. My sound is going into my computer. My microphone is a CAD GXL2200
Hi,

That microphone requires phantom power. Do you have the 48V button selected on your Audiobox?

Greg
JoeDaBro

Post by JoeDaBro »

yes i have phantom power on. but these arent answering my question about waveform not showing up
Attachments
Mixcraft 7 No Waveform.png
Mixcraft 7 No Waveform.png (217.86 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

If you have another mic, try it. -h
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

He states "the sound is getting to the computer" but doesn't clarify what that might mean.
I would assume whatever that is, it rules out a dead mic.

Many pertinent questions have remained unanswered. Its very hard to narrow in on a problem without some clear answers to questions that were asked very early on. As it is the guessing continues to lead down rabbit holes.
I've been waiting for more info.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

JoeDaBro wrote:yes i have phantom power on. but these arent answering my question about waveform not showing up
Hi,

Is there audio in the clip, or is it silent? If you increase the track height, do you see the waveform?

You should update to Mixcraft 7.7 build 316. Choose "Check For Updates" from the Help menu, then quit Mixcraft while the patch downloads.

Greg