No sound from M-Audio Keystation 88

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Counterpwnt

No sound from M-Audio Keystation 88

Post by Counterpwnt »

Hi all,

I recently purchased an M-Audio Keystation 88 MIDI keyboard. When I open up Mixcraft 7, I can't seem to get it to play back at all. I have used the Acai LPK25 MIDI keyboard with my laptop before (albeit not with Mixcraft), so I'm pretty sure I can use MIDI keyboards and that isn't the issue.

When I use musical typing, I can also hear sound from my laptop speakers in Mixcraft, so I also don't think that's the issue.

Mixcraft detects a few different MIDI devices, all of which are enabled/selected. Yet when I push keys on the MIDI keyboard, there's no sound at all.

I realize this is probably not nearly enough information, but I am completely new to the software and not all that comfortable with audio recording/etc. in general, so I apologize if I've left out any really obvious necessary information.

Thanks to anyone who can help me troubleshoot!!
JonInc

Re: No sound from M-Audio Keystation 88

Post by JonInc »

If the K88 is plugged into a USB3 port, there's your problem. Switch to a USB2 port.

If it's already in a USB2 port, try a different USB2 port.

Restart Mixcraft.
mick

Post by mick »

You could also try clicking the little down arrow (on the track header) next to the arm button and see if the M-audio is listed and checked. There's a possibility Mixcraft is still latched on to the Akai ?
elaw

Post by elaw »

You might also check to see that the virtual instrument is listening to the correct MIDI device and channel.

From page 30 of the manual:
Clicking the down arrow on the Arm button lets you select the MIDI input and MIDI channel the track listens to. For example, if you have two keyboards and want to record each keyboard on a different track:
1. Set keyboard one to send on MIDI channel 1 and set keyboard two to send on
MIDI channel 2.
2. Click the Arm button on track 1 and select All Input Devices to Receive From
MIDI channel 1.
3. Click the Arm button on track 2 and select All Input Devices to Receive From
MIDI channel 2. You are ready for recording.