Stupid newbie question: Mixcraft "instruments"

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mixyguy2

Stupid newbie question: Mixcraft "instruments"

Post by mixyguy2 »

Not sure I'm getting how to best use these (the voices that come up when you click on the little piano on a track). Are these considered "soft syth" type things, and if so, how to I use them? "Musical typing" is not going to fly, I want to play my real synth w/these sounds if possible........but I see a category of instruments called VSTs, which is what I thought you did that with. So can't I use the rest w/my synth? If not, how do you use?
JonInc

Re: Stupid newbie question: Mixcraft "instruments"

Post by JonInc »

Yes, you have the right idea. You can use your "piano" type keyboard to play either format.

Really, for all intents and purposes, VSTi's and the included instruments are the same thing -- both are "virtual instruments" or "soft synths".

The only notable difference is that you can add to the VSTi list by acquiring free or commercial VST instruments on your own.

Note that VST usually refers to plugin effects while VSTi denotes instruments (the "i" at the end for instrument).

I strongly recommend checking out Mixcraft's excellent video tutorials. Here's the section on MIDI and VSTi:

http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/v7/he ... topics.htm