Question on computer for Mixcraft 7 pro

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jflemmingjr

Question on computer for Mixcraft 7 pro

Post by jflemmingjr »

I have a question to any who can answer. Im not a computer guru and I am still kind of learning but Im looking onto getting this desktop CPU and this is what it comes with. How do you think it will work with Mixcraft 7 Pro? I know it will be better than I have now but Im going for a CPU that will use less CPU resaources. The one I have now isnt that great.
Operating System • Windows 10 Home
Processor • AMD A6-7310 Quad-Core Accelerated Processor
• Quad-Core Processor Speed • 2.00GHz
Cache • 2MB L2 Cache
Memory • 6GB PC3-12800 DDR3L-1600 SDRAM memory 1x4GB and 1x2GB (expandable to 16GB)
Hard Drive • 1TB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive
Optical Drive(s) • Ultra Slim Tray SuperMulti DVD Burner
• Write: 8x max DVD±R SL, 6x max DVD±R DL, 8x max DVD+RW, 6x max DVD-RW, 5x max DVD-RAM, 24x max CD-R, 10x max CD-RW
• Read: 8x max DVD-ROM/±R (SL/DL), 8x max DVD±RW, 5x max DVD-RAM, 24x max CD-ROM/R/RW
• Data transfer rates up to 3,600 KB/s (CD read/write) and 10,800 KB/s (DVD read/write)
Video Graphics • AMD Radeon™ R4 Graphics
• Up to 3328MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows 10
Network Interface • 10/100/1000 Base-T Network
Mark Bliss

Re: Question on computer for Mixcraft 7 pro

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hard to say.

There's no info supplied to allow us to compare it to your existing system, and its hard to say if it fits your needs since we don't know what kind of projects you typically work with.

We could say it would perform somewhere between a dual core 4 gig machine and an i7 3Ghz+ 16 Gb machine.

Point of reference perhaps:
I have a fairly new computer of similar specs, except that it has an SSD. I have run one project so far that seems to be hitting the limits without taking steps to reduce demand. That limit seems to be around 20 tracks with four incidences of reverb, several delays and about a half dozen other fairly resource demanding plug ins combined with quite a few other less demanding plug ins.
That isn't my typical project and I am quite pleased that it will handle that, knowing I could freeze tracks or take other steps if I needed a little more. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

Assuming you're doing reasonably-sized projects, you should be fine.

A couple of suggestions:

1) Adding one more hard drive (7200 rpm, not "green") and recording your audio to that will make a huge difference performance-wise.

2) You don't mention a sound card/audio interface. The fastest PC in the world using the built-in sound card for recording is still less desirable (sound and performance-wise) than even a modest PC using a proper audio interface with ASIO drivers.

These interfaces usually have at least one decent quality microphone preamp onboard, and start around $100 USD.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I would expand the ram to 16gb and put a SSD as your main drive, then you'd have the HDD as a second. You'd have a really powerful machine then.

M
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

jflemmingjr wrote: How do you think it will work with Mixcraft 7 Pro?
There are plenty of folks making good music with a lot less. -h
april1982

Post by april1982 »

[quote="JonInc"]Assuming you're doing reasonably-sized projects, you should be fine.

A couple of suggestions:

1) Adding one more hard drive (7200 rpm, not "green") and recording your audio to that will make a huge difference performance-wise.

2) You don't mention a sound card/audio interface. The fastest PC in the world using the built-in sound card for recording is still less desirable (sound and performance-wise) than even a modest PC using a proper audio interface with ASIO drivers.

These interfaces usually have at least one decent quality microphone preamp onboard, and start around $100 USD.

I've heard this come up before, but I don't understand. I own a focusrite scarlet solo that I use for recording vocals through microphone. Is this the type of interface you are talking about? Is it using a soundcard inside of this device? But what about after I unplug it from mixcraft, and start editing vocals etc.? Is it then operating off of my computer's soundcard? Or what if i do a project all with virtual instruments? I would only have the option of using my computer's soundcard for that right? I get so confused, because I'm thinking of getting a better soundcard for my computer, but I don't know if that will make a difference in quality of sounds made in mixcraft with the virtual instruments. I have a pair of headphones that require an amp, but I read somewhere that I could buy a souncard with a built in amp and that would make my headphones louder.?? and would it improve the amplification going to my desktop speakers, because currently I can't get the volume up in mixcraft without hearing so much vibration, and distortion. I am certain that my audio isn't clipping because the monitors aren't showing anything close to red or clipping. I posted a question in the forum about the speaker distortion, but I'm still not sure what is going on.
april1982

Post by april1982 »

JonInc wrote:Assuming you're doing reasonably-sized projects, you should be fine.

A couple of suggestions:

I've heard this come up before, but I don't understand. I own a focusrite scarlet solo that I use for recording vocals through microphone. Is this the type of interface you are talking about? Is it using a soundcard inside of this device? But what about after I unplug it from mixcraft, and start editing vocals etc.? Is it then operating off of my computer's soundcard? Or what if i do a project all with virtual instruments? I would only have the option of using my computer's soundcard for that right? I get so confused, because I'm thinking of getting a better soundcard for my computer, but I don't know if that will make a difference in quality of sounds made in mixcraft with the virtual instruments. I have a pair of headphones that require an amp, but I read somewhere that I could buy a souncard with a built in amp and that would make my headphones louder.?? and would it improve the amplification going to my desktop speakers, because currently I can't get the volume up in mixcraft without hearing so much vibration, and distortion. I am certain that my audio isn't clipping because the monitors aren't showing anything close to red or clipping. I posted a question in the forum about the speaker distortion, but I'm still not sure what is going on.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

april1982 wrote: I have a pair of headphones that require an amp, but I read somewhere that I could buy a souncard with a built in amp and that would make my headphones louder.?? and would it improve the amplification going to my desktop speakers, because currently I can't get the volume up in mixcraft without hearing so much vibration, and distortion. I am certain that my audio isn't clipping because the monitors aren't showing anything close to red or clipping. I posted a question in the forum about the speaker distortion, but I'm still not sure what is going on.

I believe I can help you out some. Desktop speakers lack a lot of 'definition' needed to produce a more satisfying mix. If it's amplification you want for your headphones you might consider a trip to a flea market or second-hand store and buying an audio amplifier and speakers. Tip: Name brands like Panasonic, Sony, JVC, Phillips, etc., will be more than adequate and they're worth the extra $. (At this point you will begin to see the anal mindset of some as there will be opinions galore.)

Also, there's a difference between a 'sound card' and 'on-board' sound. All computers come with 'on-board' sound which is built into the motherboard and unless you have used one of the motherboards slots to occupy a 'sound card' that is probably what you have been listening through.

You can wire your computers stereo output through to your store bought amp and speakers using a connector that looks like this: (A MINI stereo to RCA adapter)
00g0g_gpnwc1vA1U5_1200x900.jpg
00g0g_gpnwc1vA1U5_1200x900.jpg (17.36 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
I couldn't answer all of your questions but there are many here that can help you get up and running... hopefully without too much grief and expense. :D . -h
chibear

Post by chibear »

To the OP: What are you expecting to do with Mixcraft Pro?. Run a few audio tracks? Handle a virtual orchestra with tons of MIDI instruments? Score video? Do you expect to run in 32 bit or 64 bit mode? If in 64 bit, how many 32 bit plugins do you think you'll run? These and more will influence the minimum specs of the machine you should be looking for.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube