Why Is The MP3 Mix Down Low In Volume

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

FiestaFan

Why Is The MP3 Mix Down Low In Volume

Post by FiestaFan »

Just started making recordings, and when I play back any recording I make within Mixcraft, the volume of that playback is as was recorded. But when I Mix Down to an MP3 or any other format, and play that mp3 track, via my default media player, i.e. VLC, that volume is remarkably low, almost barely audible.

I want to send these mp3 Mix Downs to a friend, but not in this low volume state. How do I rectify this?

Am using a Fender guitar into a Behringer UMC202 HS USB interface, and out of there, into a Vox amp. Vox amp volume setting is at 1/4 setting, and the Gain control on the Behringer is at 10:50 clockface setting. Using latest ASIO drivers too, and ASIO settings in the Sound Device preferences menu.
Anorax

Re: Why Is The MP3 Mix Down Low In Volume

Post by Anorax »

For one, you'll want to make sure that all your playback programs are at the same system volume. If VLC is much lower than mixcraft, then that would present some problems.

Other than that, I'm not entirely sure what would be causing you to have a volume difference.
FiestaFan

Post by FiestaFan »

The volume level is the same System Level Volume for the Mixcraft Recording and the VLC playback of the Mp3 mix-down.
FranklinNewhart

Post by FranklinNewhart »

I am having a similar problem to this. I have a Mackie 1202 VLZ for my mics because it has phantom power for my powered mics. My dynamic mics go into channels 5 thru 12 that are not powered. This sound board sends two channels out to another board which is a Samick 16 channel board. The master from the Samick goes into the line in on the sound card. if I turn my room amps on everything is OK. But when I record, I record at -6 Db on the board and Mixcraft tells me about the same. But when I play back the track you can hardly hear it. I don't have this problem with the powered mics, just the dynamic mics. I also have Vu Meter software that tells me the record level is just below peak but when I play back a track it hardly lifts the needles. What is the problem?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

FiestaFan wrote:Just started making recordings, and when I play back any recording I make within Mixcraft, the volume of that playback is as was recorded. But when I Mix Down to an MP3 or any other format, and play that mp3 track, via my default media player, i.e. VLC, that volume is remarkably low, almost barely audible.
Most of the settings/routing you describe (as best I understand it) is related to recording levels, while the problem you describe is related to mix down.
How are you monitoring, and how are you setting levels?
At mix down, what is your main level setting? Try setting it to unity (0) to mix down at the project level.
FranklinNewhart wrote:when I play back the track you can hardly hear it. I don't have this problem with the powered mics, just the dynamic mics. I also have Vu Meter software that tells me the record level is just below peak but when I play back a track it hardly lifts the needles. What is the problem?
If there is a large difference between the dynamic and condenser mic level, and level issues upon playback of your recordings, logic would dictate it is a recording level or gain stage issue, not exactly the same mix down level issue as FiestaFan's question I think.
I suspect maybe a misunderstanding of gain staging, and perhaps where to insert the described metering plug in?
Maybe best to start a separate thread.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
FiestaFan

Post by FiestaFan »

I have no idea how to monitor as I'm new to Mixcraft.What am I supposed to be monitoring and how am I to set the levels? At the recording stage?

At Mix Down, all I do is select MP3. I did not know there was a Main Level Setting for a mix-down.Where do I find that setting to unity(0)?

Thanks for your help. Appreciated.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

You indicated your playback level was OK after you recorded, what are you listening to? Speakers, headphones, ? Where are they plugged in? Soundcard/interface? How are you setting the listening level?
When you mix down to MP3, what is your Mixcraft main level set at?
ETC.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
FiestaFan

Post by FiestaFan »

Apologies for not making myself succinctly clear. :(

What I meant to say, was, when still in Mixcraft, when I re-wind a recording to the start of the lane, and use the Play function from within Mixcraft, that playback is at the same level as the recording

Then, after the mix-down to say mp3, I save that file in the Music sub-folder of My Docs, and when playing back that saved mp3 file, via VLC, the playback sound emanating from my PC system speakers, seems on the low side.

I have not touched any controls on Mixcraft Pro Studio 7 when mixing down. I just select, File--Mix Down To--MP3.

Thanks very much for your assistance and I hope this further elucidation helps.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

:lol: Not really. You just clarified what we already know.
No answers to any of the previous questions. Especially, (if my suspicions are correct)- The last one. 8)

If those answers don't narrow in on the issue, we will have eliminated some basics and move on.
One or the other.png
One or the other.png (92.31 KiB) Viewed 6706 times
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you load that MP3 back into Mixcraft, how do the levels sound?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

+ that valuable bit of info. :D
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
FiestaFan

Post by FiestaFan »

\Did not try to re-load a saved mp3 track back into Mixcraft. Will try that, plus that circled in red, with screengrabs.

Thanks to both.