Question about MX file size....

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

midimoose

Question about MX file size....

Post by midimoose »

Hi all,

I recently upgraded from MX6 to 7pro studio, and have started working on my first project with this version. The project so far has only 6 or 8 tracks, with NO effects or eq applied yet I've noticed the Mixcraft file size is already over 3,000 KB. I have older, finished MX6 projects with lots of effects on individual tracks, and light compression on the main bus, which seem to top out around 450 KB. Not that it seems to hurt anything, but I'm very curious. Is this a normal result for MX7, or perhaps pianissimo? Thanks for any answers on this, Rick.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time." Albert Einstein
Acoustica Greg

Re: Question about MX file size....

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I loaded a 191 KB mx6 file and saved it in Mixcraft 7 and it turned into a 221 KB mx7 file, so a little bit bigger.

Are you comparing apples to apples? Are you using some of Mixcraft 7's new features, like the performance panel or whatever?

If you save a Mixcraft 6 project as a Mixcraft 7 project, is it that much larger?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
aj113

Post by aj113 »

What does it matter? 3MB is nothing.
midimoose

Post by midimoose »

Hi Greg, thanks for the reply.. I'm not using performance panel or any effects on this project yet. I did try moving an older Mixcraft 6 project to MX7-- it takes a slight hop in size, but is still under 300 KB. Could Pianissimo be causing the jump in file size? As aj113 said, 3 KB is nothing, just curious :) Looks like I upgraded to version 7 just in time for Mixcraft 8 :lol: A little slow on the uptake I guess. Thanks, Rick.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time." Albert Einstein
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Pianissimo MIDI data wouldn't take up any more room than any other kind of MIDI data. MIDI is stored in the project, so maybe this project just has lots of MIDI clips? Or lots of edits in general? Hard to say without knowing the details.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101