Snap Crackle Popping on (very) high end PC. Please help.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

aquataur

Re: Snap Crackle Popping on (very) high end PC. Please help.

Post by aquataur »

Run Latencymon and see if anything is causing hard pagefaults.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

The first and only reason for me to run Windows 10 are updates. When installing Windows 7 the update process that follows is mortifying. The first round of updates typically takes in excess of 5 hours to complete on a 100/100 fiber connection, but then there are other updates, I usually start the updates and go to bed and the next day come back to see it's still updating...

Microsoft should, but never did, release a SP2 to expedite all of this.

Windows 10 updates take 20 minutes from scratch.

New system is now all brand new from CPU to motherboard, graphics adapter, and now even the I/O Interface. Everything in there is made for Windows 10.

System load on this new system, as monitored in the lower right hand corner of Mixcraft, is quite low. It did clip to 100% on my old system so that's why I got the new PC in the first place.

To put your mind at ease about Mixcraft no, I'm a registered user, bought the first copy v4 around 2010, then upgraded it until 6Pro. Am looking at upgrading to 7Pro but I want to make sure it's necessary and would solve my popping issues.

The one thing I've not tried is to remove all the VST effects from the tracks to see if that changes anything at all. I'm on that now - remotely. If it does remove the popping I will then add them one by one until I get popping and revise from there.
I hear you with the windows updates, used to be easy when Microsoft did service pack updates, just burn them to disc, whip the os on then the service pack and you were good to go. This endless updates thing is a disaster trying to get compatibility with programs and audio drivers etc. For this reason, I just use Win7 SP1 which I have on disc, my computer is offline and it is never updated, all my somewhat expensive programs run fine with it so that's that for me, no windows 10 just yet.

Microsoft have released what they call a convenience rollup, which is very much like a service pack for windows 7, it allows you to download many of the updates up to a particular date in one lump, which you can then burn to disc and use when you reformat. I downloaded one up to April 2016 and called it "Win 7 service pack 2". I am using that on the laptop at the moment and it seems fine. Might try it on the other computer later.

A couple of things stick out in your situation, the use of Mixcraft 6, which I do not think is compatible with windows 10 (others may be able to advise you here) and those ASIO 4 All drivers. I assume your system is 64 bit, so windows 10, 64 bit with 32 bit Mixcraft 6, with 32 bit VST's....... mmmmmmm. Asio 4 all not the best either, your pushing it here for compatibility. I think if you upgraded to Mixcraft 7 64bit and only used 64bit plugins, you might find that works. I know Mixcraft 7 is supposed to be compatible with 32 bit plugins and it seems so but I don't like to push it. I use Mixcraft 7 Pro 64 bit with komplete ultimate 10 and heaps of other plugins (all 64 bit) and I can have that on all day doing random stuff, no crashes, pops or crackles or annoying stuff. My computer is nothing special (i5 with 8gig ram) but windows 7 compatible.

I'll put my money on you trying to run a 32 bit Mixcraft 6.0 with 32bit plugins on a windows 10 64 bit computer as being the most likely cause of the problem now.

To get going, you could run with Mixcraft 6.0 and that M-audio card on a windows 7 system, using the convenience rollup and leaving updates turned off. If you want to run win 10, then you are going to have to update Mixcraft to version 7 preferably 64bit, then tackle the audio interface problem, your behringer might work great, even with the asio 4 all drivers.
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

just saw this on the Mixcraft upgrade page:

"Upgrade purchases to Mixcraft 7 and Mixcraft Pro Studio 7 include FREE UPGRADE to Mixcraft 8 (coming soon!)"

Just $50.00 for you to upgrade.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

While I am skeptical about some of this theory, it would be easy enough to test at no cost.
You could load up the trial version of Mixcraft 7, both 32 and 64 bit and evaluate to see if anything is different.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
lord_galathon

Post by lord_galathon »

Mark Bliss wrote:While I am skeptical about some of this theory, it would be easy enough to test at no cost.
You could load up the trial version of Mixcraft 7, both 32 and 64 bit and evaluate to see if anything is different.
I have downloaded the Mix7 trial.

Yesterday but didn't have much time last night to play with it.

I have to test further but of course the upgrade for 50$ is definitely the way to go, I have until Sunday to decide in any case.

About Windows 10 compatibility - Mixcraft 6.1 Pro Studio + all my VSTi's runs properly on a 6 year old Corei5 laptop with Win 10 and the embedded sound chipset. Sure I'd have immense latency if I tried recording using the onboard but my theory right now is that I can probably use the main PC to record the audio bits then the laptop for the final mix and mastering.
i7 6700K 4.0Ghz
Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI motherboard
16Gb DDR4 RAM
ASUS Dual GeForce 1060GTX 3Gb
480Gb aData SSD SATA3
28" 4K Samsung monitor
Casio USB keyboard
Behringer B-1
Steinberger Scorpion ST
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Ibanez BX Bass
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You have until Monday for this sale.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
lord_galathon

Solution found - issue solved - thank you everyone that suggested solutions

Post by lord_galathon »

I've just purchased the upgrade but it's nothing to do with my popping issue.

I found the issue was caused by a broken VST synth - Sytrus - that's not been updated by Image-Line in a couple years.

Sadly it was one of my favorite plug-ins and I think there are none of my songs that didn't have it in there, but I've now simply uninstalled it as it just makes noise.

I'm also going to send that Behringer USB interface back as it's quite noisy - huffing and puffing as soon as the microphone is connected to the phantom power plug, weird that the mic is also a Behringer but whatever.

After realizing the issue was with Sytrus I put the M-Audio back in the PC and it has worked flawlessly - as long as Sytrus is not used.

Sytrus came in a 180US$ bundle when I purchased it back in 2010.

Here, enjoy some of my work as a token of my appreciation for all your help:

https://soundcloud.com/il-cuggino-canad ... -bang-2106

Thanks again.
i7 6700K 4.0Ghz
16Gb DDR4 RAM
480Gb aData SSD SATA3
28" 4K Samsung monitor
Casio USB keyboard
Behringer B-1
Steinberger Scorpion ST
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Ibanez BX Bass
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

Glad you got your issue sorted, I really like that song, it's got a nice groove and the mix sounds really good. You should definitely keep going with your music, find a producer and/or push to radio stations, nice work!
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Ah there it is! I thought disabling vst/vsti one at a time would probably root out the culprit. Good news!

A little tip given to me by one of my mentors on producing:
While the concept of total recall in a DAW sounds feasible, the truth is you find that over time, through updates in software, platforms and technology, in time you move on past some old plug ins and virtual instruments. Its just a cold hard fact.
If you are archiving your projects, its a good idea to save a version of the stems, so that if a plug in or instrument becomes obsolete or inoperable, you still have something that functions on recall.

Really glad to hear you are back on track. For the record, I have had no experience or heard of any others experience that leads me to believe MX7 works better in WIN10 than previous versions of Mixcraft. There are some minor resource optimizations, but nothing major or functionally different. And given the horsepower your system brings to the table, I was very skeptical it was a 32 vs 64 bit thing. And yes, return that interface, and maybe consider a future upgrade worthy of that system..... At least something with some better preamps and converters.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
lord_galathon

Post by lord_galathon »

I've gone back to using the old M-Audio. No crackling since I uninstalled Sytrus. No latency and sounds good.
Torton5 wrote:Glad you got your issue sorted, I really like that song, it's got a nice groove and the mix sounds really good. You should definitely keep going with your music, find a producer and/or push to radio stations, nice work!
Thanks. I don't want that kind of fame. My goal would be to write/produce for others to play and be on the radio but since I don't really hang around any other musicians that plan's gone to hell. I record my songs for fun, my wife enjoys them.

As I've said to a friend who asked me why the hell I'd not want to be famous:

If I walk into a strip club or bar in downtown Anytown, I'm just another bloke that goes to see naked women or drink for fun.

If Justin Bieber (Or Timberlake, or for the older crowd like myself Simon LeBon or any of the older generations really) walks into a strip club, it will be a scandal A SCANDAL I SAY!

Better to stay anonymous in 2016+... too many cameras everywhere lol.
i7 6700K 4.0Ghz
16Gb DDR4 RAM
480Gb aData SSD SATA3
28" 4K Samsung monitor
Casio USB keyboard
Behringer B-1
Steinberger Scorpion ST
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Ibanez BX Bass
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

It's always been the crawling out that got me in trouble.......
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Have you installed the latest drivers for the mobo? -h
lord_galathon

Post by lord_galathon »

I actually took advantage of the Black Friday/holiday specials and updated my Waves plugins to the latest version for much cheaper than full price.

Sadly still no sytrus. I'll just have to remaster my "old" stuff from my laptop and bounce the stems track by track in case for the future.
i7 6700K 4.0Ghz
16Gb DDR4 RAM
480Gb aData SSD SATA3
28" 4K Samsung monitor
Casio USB keyboard
Behringer B-1
Steinberger Scorpion ST
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Ibanez BX Bass