Asio

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Cobalt

Asio

Post by Cobalt »

So I record with Asio and have no issues at all. I use a Focursite Interface. When my Focusrite is connected the only output choice I have is my Focusrite. There is no option to output through my laptop speakers unless I choose Wave or WaveRt. If I choose either of those two I can choose my Focusrite to record and then output through my wireless heaphones. Is there a reason that I am unable to use my laptop speakers for output while using Asio? Besides better performance and no cracking or popping do I need to use Asio for recording? I just really wish I could use my wireless headphones as my output.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Asio

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

ASIO gives you extremely low latency with synchronized audio. If you pass the audio through another playback device, you are at the mercy of the other playback device.

That said, if you like the results you get with WaveRT, use WaveRT. The audio quality would be the same (assuming the identical sample rate, etc).

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

If I understand you right you are trying to output to a different audio unit than you use for recording, such as the system audio.

If you installed the Focusrite´s ASIO packet, then you should see all I/Os the Focusrite has. Unfortunately, selecting the Focusrite ASIO driver excludes the rest of the world. This only works with ASIO4all, but beware, it may produce blue screens. (It did so on my old PC on W7). If it does, there is no simple work-around for your problem.

As an aside: ASIO is a standard that evolved and is agreed upon by the industry, unlike WaveRT, which was Microsoft´s half-hearted attempt to step into the real-time audio world. Manufacturers don´t care about WaveRT.
However it "sees" more than ASIO, but only rudimentary supports what is there.

ASIO4all is free and can coexist with other ASIO drivers. You have the benefit of using all Focusrite inputs and use a different output - if it does not blow. :wink:

hope this helped.

-h
C# or Bb!
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Thanks for the reply. The reason I was trying this is that I wanted to output through my wireless headphones. When I did Asio4all its fine until I have the laptop pickup the wireless headphones. It shows them under asio4all but they have a odd name, not the usual name I see and there are 6 versions. Also, it does not let me pick Focusrite to record as it shows the same weird names that it shows in playback but when I tested it out, it does use the Focusrite to record but no matter what i do, the Asio4all does not let me playback through the headphones. I does though laptop speakers though. I appreciate the try but I just need to bite the bullet and use my wired headphones. i just need some that don't have a 25 foot cord as they tend to get in the way. Thanks again.