Midi Keyboard Recommendations

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Cobalt

Re: Midi Keyboard Recommendations

Post by Cobalt »

Thanks Torton5. Very helpful info. If I find a regular keyboard that I like that has midi out and onboard sounds will it be able to record into Mixcraft by using the midi out into my interface?
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

Yes, providing you have a midi cable interface on your audio interface.

You can only record midi information through the midi interface, when you hit a key, it sends an instruction to the computer to trigger the software on the computer to make the sound. With midi, you still need software virtual instruments installed on the computer to receive the midi information and create the sound.

You will not be able to record the onboard sounds on your synth or keyboard through the midi interface. To record those sounds, you will need to use whatever outputs your synth has for audio out, typically instrument outs, line outs or headphone outs.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Thanks Torton. I was looking at this.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PSRE353

I does not have midi out so I would be limited to the on board instruments but it has more than I need. I could record with the 1/4 audio out. Might be a better fit for me as I want to learn to play also and really all the midi things are pretty confusing to me. If this is decent I could pick the sound I want and just record it.
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

It has USB out, these keyboards can act as midi controllers through USB if you wanted to go down that path later.

It you want to learn to play, these kind of keyboards are a good option because you don't have to start the computer every time you want to play them, just turn on and go.

You might want to check that your audio interface has some sort of line/instrument input as this keyboard only outputs sound from the headphone socket. Headphone out usually works best with line in on an audio interface. If your interface only has instrument level in, the headphone output will be too hot for your interface, even if you fiddle with the levels, you might not like the result.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

This is mine.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... wAod0k0K7A
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

The Focusrite 2i4 has line input- the 1/4" input is switchable between instrument level and line level. All good there.

As to the previously mentioned Yamaha keyboard, the onboard sounds have a good reputation. Yamaha's higher end stuff has a great reputation for top of the line grand piano sounds for example. And the learning suite could be a great benefit.
One potential issue, while the specs say it has a USB output option, you have to be careful, sometimes that USB output is assigned to a use that doesn't necessarily translate to being usable as a MIDI controller. Many manufacturers use USB to load memory files, samples, updates, and it may not work as a MIDI controller. This needs to be verified.
And while I think otherwise the unit has some otherwise great features, I think you may quickly find you wish it had USB MIDI capability. (Assuming it doesn't, I honestly don't know.) I'd recommend researching that further before deciding.
If you don't already use a Sweetwater Rep, e-mail Ryan_Murray@Sweetwater.com, and ask questions. Again, really good resource.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Mark Bliss wrote:The Focusrite 2i4 has line input- the 1/4" input is switchable between instrument level and line level. All good there.

As to the previously mentioned Yamaha keyboard, the onboard sounds have a good reputation. Yamaha's higher end stuff has a great reputation for top of the line grand piano sounds for example. And the learning suite could be a great benefit.
One potential issue, while the specs say it has a USB output option, you have to be careful, sometimes that USB output is assigned to a use that doesn't necessarily translate to being usable as a MIDI controller. Many manufacturers use USB to load memory files, samples, updates, and it may not work as a MIDI controller. This needs to be verified.
And while I think otherwise the unit has some otherwise great features, I think you may quickly find you wish it had USB MIDI capability. (Assuming it doesn't, I honestly don't know.) I'd recommend researching that further before deciding.
If you don't already use a Sweetwater Rep, e-mail Ryan_Murray@Sweetwater.com, and ask questions. Again, really good resource.
Thanks Mark. I use Chris Jenkins from Sweetwater so I will run those questions by him. That would be nice to have if the USB thing did that. Thanks.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Here is another choice and it for sure has midi out via usb.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WK245
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

The E series Yamaha portable arrangers can all be used as midi controllers as far as I know, but as Mark suggests, it might be worth checking. The issue might be what range of velocities it outputs. It might be good to have a feel of the keys to make sure they are suitable to you. I liked the yammy keys but did not care for the casio CTK series keys much, the whole board bends in the middle when you play it and after a short time, the keys start making a horrid grating noise. Maybe the WK series might be better.

Be careful of some of these portable arrangers because they can get quite complex to operate and record. This might get in the way of your workflow. Using a usb midi controller with Mixcraft can be a lot easier! just plug in keyboard, select a track, select a virtual instrument and then you are ready to record.
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

Cobalt, in your present position, I'd buy just a cheap midi controller keyboard to learn on (even second hand). At a later date and with the advent of the clock sync feature of MC8, you may be better to save your money for a decent arranger keyboard.
I use the PSR S970 and with the ability to play style files comes the ability to use some very accurate backing ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-jczC51Agc
Gary
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” ― Frank Zappa
My Soundcloud
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Tiasdad wrote:Cobalt, in your present position, I'd buy just a cheap midi controller keyboard to learn on (even second hand). At a later date and with the advent of the clock sync feature of MC8, you may be better to save your money for a decent arranger keyboard.
I use the PSR S970 and with the ability to play style files comes the ability to use some very accurate backing ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-jczC51Agc
That Ring of Fire was great! Is that you? So you are able to use a backing track also?
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

No, it wasn't me but I do have the same style and can play it, as is.

Style files are similar to backing tracks and are midi's in disguise with a .sty extension, you just have to play the chords and record it either on board or in Mixcraft, then play along with your guitar. The style files are easy to create or edit, and there are literally hundreds of thousands freely available on the net ;)

Audio backing is also available ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pP_DKv_4hU

This is what can be done, bear in mind that everything including the mic, all go through the S970 ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCZSQKvtgbs
Gary
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” ― Frank Zappa
My Soundcloud
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

I did get midi guitar to "somewhat" work in Mixcraft and Im not that impressed but there are a lot of settings that I did not play with so maybe I could have made it better but even what I heard, most of the stuff is not usable anyway. I noticed that when I pick one note it rings out about 10 times. I played with a "velocity" setting and that seemed to help that a lot. Lots of people here have talked about the wheel for velocity curve. So what exactly is the velocity curve?
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

From a very old thread but it's still applicable.

http://acoustica.com/kb/what-is-the-vel ... _1132.html

M
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

I would like to thank everyone for their advice and help. After weighing all my options and realizing that I would want this more as a way to learn keyboard first but also use to record and control midi, this is what I have come up with. Im looking at it as the best of both worlds. I explained what my needs are and this is what my Sweetwater rep came up with:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YPG235