Midi Sounding Out of Phase

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jddrock

Midi Sounding Out of Phase

Post by jddrock »

Hi there,
I have a project that I worked on originally in MC6 and I've since upgraded to 7 and I'm using it to work on the project. I'm experiencing a strange problem. I'm using a lot of Vst's in this project. One day i wanted to try a different piano VST on a track where I already recorded the midi data. When I changed the VST and listened it sounded out of phase. I didn't know how that could be possible so I checked to make sure I didn't have a any chorus effects on by accident or something and all I had running on the track was reverb. So I opened a new track with a different VST and copied the midi data to the new track, but even then it still sounded out of phase. I tried this with almost every midi track in the project and they all sounded out of phase when the VST was changed. If I played each VST with my midi controller it sounds fine, it's only when using those VST's to play the pre-recorded midi data. Any ideas of why this is happening?
Anorax

Re: Midi Sounding Out of Phase

Post by Anorax »

That's odd. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say, though. Are you getting a chorus-like effect when playing the recorded MIDI?
jddrock

Post by jddrock »

Kind of..... It honestly more like it's out of phase than a chorus effect though. Chorus is just the closest feasible thing I could check since I didn't know how it could be possible that the midi data is out of phase.
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

jddrock wrote:Kind of..... It honestly more like it's out of phase than a chorus effect though. Chorus is just the closest feasible thing I could check since I didn't know how it could be possible that the midi data is out of phase.
Can you create an audio track that illustrates what you're talking about? Maybe the original audio, then what the VST sounds like when it's out of phase? Anything that we can use so we know what your audio issue sounds like.

You could possibly try getting a screen recording if that helps.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Some vst/i don't play too nice with MC. Is the problem just when you use that piano? If so, I think you may have found the culprit.

M
chibear

Post by chibear »

I get something similar (if I understand correctly) with Sampletek's Black Grand. It happens at the beginning of a tune the first time the instrument is accessed by Mixcraft 7. All subsequent playbacks sound fine. If I mixdown without an initial playback it's in the mix too.

I had thought it was some of the occasional Kontakt wonkiness that happens so just planned on playing back some piano before playing the whole project, but it doesn't happen in 8 beta, so must be connected to Mixcraft somehow. As there is an easy work around I didn't give it much thought and have not experienced it in any instrument other than Black Grand.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Tranceprod Dan

Post by Tranceprod Dan »

chibear, I get the same thing with a few vsti, off the top of my head the biggest culprit being refx nexus. I don't think that's what OP is talking about though, so I'm with anorax, I think it'd be helpful to hear the original and 'out of phase' play back recordings.
Check out the Mixcraft subreddit