M-Audio Fast Track Pro won't work with USB 3 [SOLVED}

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Led-ear

M-Audio Fast Track Pro won't work with USB 3 [SOLVED}

Post by Led-ear »

I have been using an M-Audio Fast Track Pro for several years on my PC and Mixcraft 6 and 7. I got a new Dell Inspiron 15 running Windows 10 and it has USB 3 ports. It will not connect with the USB 2 on the Fast Track Pro. The mixcraft program itself works great but I am unable to record vocals. This appears to become a growing problem as the number of newly manufactured computers are going to be using USB 3. I have been searching for days for a work-around but it looks like it is hopeless. Has anyone at Acoustica come up with a solution? I have discovered that there are only a few audio interfaces available that are compatible with USB 3 and they are well over the $500 mark. Please advise. Thank you, Led-ear.
Acoustica Greg

Re: M-Audio Fast Track Pro won't work with USB 3

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

1. Have you tried all the USB ports on your computer? If not, try different ports.

2. Have you downloaded the Fast Track Pro latest drivers from the manufacturer's web page? I think that's Avid now.

3. Are you using WaveRT or ASIO in Mixcraft's sound device preferences?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Led-ear

Post by Led-ear »

Thanks Greg. I have tried all 3 USB (they are blue) ports. Results are the same. The computer sees the Fast Track Pro is connected. Yes, I have downloaded the latest drivers several times. when I open Mixcraft it shows Realtek as the sound device. Mixcraft does not see Fast Track in RT, ASIO or Wave.
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

If this is a laptop, then you are likely out of luck -- time to buy a new audio interface (And you'll need to research this carefully since there are many USB2 interfaces that just won't work well with USB3. One way around this is to get one of the newer USB 3 interfaces).

If it's a desktop, a fairly easy solution is to buy an add-on USB2 PCIe card like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Syba-Expres-5-po ... B0026I4DZ2
Led-ear

Post by Led-ear »

Thank you for the quick response but in my first post I mentioned that I could not find a USB interface compatible with USB 3. under $500. I thank you for the suggestion of an affordable PC interface but as I mentioned in my first post I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. Can you suggest a low cost USB interface for laptops? Mixcrafts great advantage is the fact it is a fantastic DAW at a very reasonable price. Sales will surely suffer as more newly manufactured computers take the stage with USB 3 ports and potential customers discover they need to buy a $500 audio interface to start their home studio. It is important for them to find a device for around $100. I would appreciate any information regarding a low cost work-around. Thanks, Led-ear.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Led-ear wrote:Thanks Greg. I have tried all 3 USB (they are blue) ports. Results are the same. The computer sees the Fast Track Pro is connected. Yes, I have downloaded the latest drivers several times. when I open Mixcraft it shows Realtek as the sound device. Mixcraft does not see Fast Track in RT, ASIO or Wave.
Hi,

Do you have Windows 10? If so, try this: right-click on Mixcraft's icon and selecting Properties. On the Compatibility tab, select Windows 8 compatibility mode, then start up Mixcraft and see if it recognizes the Fast Track Pro in ASIO or WaveRT mode.

Greg
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I think- this is a problem with only some specific interfaces and their drivers. If it were otherwise, we would already be hearing of widespread issues on new computers that often, as pointed out- only include USB3. I have only seen sporadic issues related to this.
And I may be mistaken, but in my observation of multiple audio forums and user groups, as far as serious driver issues go, it seems to more often than not be M-Audio or Zoom.

Furthermore, I have an Inspiron Lappy with one USB3 port. I use among other things, an apx. 10 yr. old outdated Tascam interface, the driver and support was dropped long enough ago that Win7 was a "try it and see" situation.
It worked as designed then and so far still does now, Win10, Inspiron, USB3.

Although I am watching for more affordable interfaces to come along that utilize the faster communication for very low latency performance. Still waiting and watching. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Led-ear

Post by Led-ear »

I tried changing the compatibility to Windows 8. It had no effect. Audacity does not recognize Fast Track Pro either.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Led-ear wrote:I tried changing the compatibility to Windows 8. It had no effect. Audacity does not recognize Fast Track Pro either.
Hi,

One other thing to try would be to uninstall the Fast Track Pro's drivers and install them again.

There's no reason it shouldn't work with USB 3, that's why I'm suggesting other troubleshooting techniques.

Greg
Led-ear

Post by Led-ear »

Do you mean reinstall the drivers in the Windaow 8 configuration? I searched this problem on line and others have the same results and with different Audio interfaces. M-Audio says their equipment is NOT compatible with USB 3 ports. People with other manufacturers interfaces are having connectivity problems too.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I meant just uninstall the drivers and then install the latest ones, although installing drivers in Windows 8 mode has helped people with other audio interfaces.

If you can't get it to work, then just choose a newer audio interface that's has ASIO drivers updated since Windows 10 was released, and verify that they do support USB 3 ports.

Greg
Led-ear

Post by Led-ear »

I have done an exhaustive search for an audio interface that is compatible with usb 3 and the cheapest one I have found so far is over $500. That is simply out of MY ballpark! I will keep searching or just wait until some enterprising engineer figures out they need to catch up with technology. Thank you for your expertise and time.
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

Actually you didn't say you have a laptop. You said you have a Dell Inspiron... You may be well-versed with Dell's laptop line to recognize them by name, but I am not. In any case, I kind of assumed it was a laptop anyway since even the new desktops offer at least some USB2 ports.

As far as inexpensive USB3 interfaces, have you looked at this one ($250 USD)?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UAC2
Led-ear

Post by Led-ear »

Well, that's the least expensive one I have seen. Thank you for your time. Still out of my price range but I think that may be the solution.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I agree with Greg that there should be a workaround, some way to kick the thing into submission, but.... Hard to say what.

Its important to discern the difference between a USB3 device and "USB3 compatible" of course.
And I am always wary of appearing to endorse or recommend any product I have not actually used myself.
But that said, In a very much non-exhaustive search, I found this in the specification notes of the first common interface I checked, a $100 Presonus. "AudioBox 1.2 software update adds USB 3.0 compatibility and enhanced Windows integration"
And with a little research I suspect confirmation of the same status for several other brands.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page