BOSS VE-20 VOCAL PERFORMER

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

vicarito

BOSS VE-20 VOCAL PERFORMER

Post by vicarito »

I would appreciate some information on the following:

I have been looking at some vocalizer pedals to do some harmonies, pitch correction, etc... and I came across some
pedals from BOSS like the VE-5 or VE-20. Can they be connected into my focusrite 2i4 so that I can record straight into Mixcraft? For what I read it seems that they are more for live performances but I do not know if I can used them to record into my home studio DAW.
thank you very much.

Vicarito
Mark Bliss

Re: BOSS VE-20 VOCAL PERFORMER

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yes you could.
But be aware that the effect would be recorded in, and you couldn't edit the effect on the vocal later. Unless you hooked up a two channel input with one dry, one with the external processing.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Sure you can. Whether it sounds good is another matter. Some pedals just don't sound 'right' when going into an I/O so most use a DI to get the desired effect. When I want to record with pedals, I use a DI and mic the amp and have a direct into the I/O. There's no right or wrong with any experimenting that you want to do, one of the beauties of modern recording.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Pretty sure the question is about a vocal processor pedal, so "micing the amp" isn't likely relevant.
But yes, I would agree with the quality statement. Many of those devices don't sound that great IMO. And its likely a case of "getting what you pay for" in that regard.

Also, I am not familiar with the Boss stuff specifically, but some of the higher end processors of that type may have dual outputs that could be used to accomplish what I suggested.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Yeah, I know that it was about vocal pedals, just wanted to point out some of the other configurations and putting emphasis on the DI to have a level line in. From what I gather those pedals are used for live, one of the beauties with recording is that you can tweak to your hearts delight within the DAW, no pedals needed.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

A'hite, gotcha and yep!

And Gasparis, whatever works for you is the right way, these are just opinions OK?

One more thing to consider though, Melodyne in MX8PS would enable some of what you describe as well.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

I have one of the Boss competitors, a TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, hooked up to my Focusrite 6i6. Works very well. Two channels come out of the VL3, one "wet" with the effect, and one dry. So you can always decide to use the dry channel and do effects in Mixcraft.

There are a lot of very specific harmonies available in VL3...you can use the effect, and then the sound can then be further shaped inside Mixcraft.

I have my VL3 going into line inputs on the Focusrite. Make sure you have enough/the right connectors.

Tiger
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

I have a similar TC Helicon device that uses a guitar´s strumming to determine the chord to harmonize to.
Since this is not practical on a track-by-track recording scenario, I forked a guitar-like synth track that plays on one of my interface outputs into the TC-Helicon.

This works a treat (if your interface has extra outputs.) Also can be repeated in a non-live scenario later with some scratching of heads.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
vicarito

Post by vicarito »

Thank you very much for all the INFO. I did buy a DI (Fishman platinum stage) to use with my acoustic electric guitar so I will experiment with it and the boss ve-20 and see what happens. The good thing is that all this stuff is returnable within a reasonable amount of time so if it does not sound right I can take that option.
As always I really appreciate all the INFO, advice and ideas.
Thank you very much.

vicarito