How can I force a note to be part of the Treble staff?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mixmaster

How can I force a note to be part of the Treble staff?

Post by mixmaster »

Hi,

I am working in the Score editor trying to recreate a piece of sheet music in Mixcraft. See the 3 notes that are part of the Treble staff in this screenshot (this screenshot is from a PDF of some sheet music that I want to recreate in Mixcraft)?

I am having problems recreating this sheet music in the Score editor of Mixcraft. Mixcraft keeps forcing the 'A' note to be part of the Bass staff - AND - in doing so, turns what used to be an 1/8 note 'D' in the bass staff into two 1/16 notes, like pictured below (this screenshot is from Mixcraft 7):

Is there any way I can force Mixcraft to allow the 'A' note to be part of the Treble staff, just like the first image above?

The reason I want my Score to be just like the first image is so that it will be easy to read in the future for a keyboard player if I ever print this music out.
Last edited by mixmaster on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
GrizzKarizz

Re: How can I force a note to be part of the Treble staff?

Post by GrizzKarizz »

I just had a go at it, but I don't think it can be done.

Though the A note in the bass staff and the A note in the treble staff are both the same A note, so I guess it's not seen as important.
mick

Post by mick »

Agree totally with Grizzkariz, its pitched below Middle C therefore part of the bass clef.
mixmaster

Post by mixmaster »

GrizzKarizz wrote:I just had a go at it, but I don't think it can be done.

Though the A note in the bass staff and the A note in the treble staff are both the same A note, so I guess it's not seen as important.

Sorry, I just realized I had uploaded the incorrect 2nd image. I have updated my original post. Please refresh your browser to see my updated post.
mixmaster

Post by mixmaster »

mick wrote:Agree totally with Grizzkariz, its pitched below Middle C therefore part of the bass clef.

Sorry, I just realized I had uploaded the incorrect 2nd image. I have updated my original post. Please refresh your browser to see my updated post.
GrizzKarizz

Post by GrizzKarizz »

Although I understand what you mean , I'm not sure it's possible. Maybe request for it in upcoming updates?
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Unfortunately, extra control over visual notation is not something that is available in Mixcraft at this time. While it's possible that it could be remedied in an upcoming release, I'm not certain that we'll see it for another few years in Mixcraft.
dnmusic

Post by dnmusic »

The notation capability to me is the worst part of Mixcraft. It is really rudimentary. It seems like it would be a pretty simple matter to set a split point where every note above "x" would be treble clef. I struggle with the notes being drawn as two 16ths instead of an eighth, among other things. What I do to work around that is to to quantize the start and stop of the notes to a certain value, and when you do that, it will draw the note properly.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you need more music notation capabilities, you can save as a MIDI file and then load it into a full-fledged scoring program. There's a free open source one called MuseScore.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
GrizzKarizz

Post by GrizzKarizz »

Code: Select all

The notation capability to me is the worst part of Mixcraft. 
I honestly don't think it's meant for anything but to help with composing using midi.
MeanMrMustard

Post by MeanMrMustard »

GrizzKarizz wrote:

Code: Select all

The notation capability to me is the worst part of Mixcraft. 
I honestly don't think it's meant for anything but to help with composing using midi.

I'd like to see this addressed at some point. As it is a music program, the musical aspects should be addressed and perfected before moving on to video and such.

Yes there are free apps like Musescore2, however there are also excellent free video apps as well. https://hitfilm.com/express , https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... nciresolve , https://www.blender.org/ , https://www.lwks.com/ , https://www.shotcut.org/ come to mind.

In my humble opinion bouncing back and forth between a DAW and notation software fails in that you can not move the audio tracks along with the midi tracks. Each track is not a separate entity but a part of the whole. And needs to be written/ heard along with the others. Writing audio in one app and midi in another and thinking you can just put them together at the end is not a suitable method of composing.

Just one man's opinion....

MMM
botface

Post by botface »

Yes, this has been a major shortcoming in Mixcraft since it was introduced. MIDI just doesn't carry enough information to make exporting to a scoring program and re-importing a feasible option - you end up spending more time trying to sort out the errors than it would take to learn to play keyboard properly.

I guess Mixcraft just isn't aimed at people who are musically literate
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

MeanMrMustard wrote: As it is a music program, the musical aspects should be addressed and perfected before moving on to video and such.
I basically agree with you. I have argued that if you choose to make something then make it good. OTOH would it ever be good enough? Inevitably, there will always be someone out there who will use a screwdriver to open a paint can. :wink:

Technically, it's a DAW and so, 'notation' and 'video' don't really fall into that category.

Since Acoustica has extended some basic regard to these things, users should be able to take them with a grain of salt when full blown and universally accepted utility just simply can't ever, won't be and isn't there. (I've tried both features in MC and just looked for and found better IMO, alternatives.)

I've had no blatant issues with dedicated freebies like Musescore and Kdenlive and because they are dedicated I just find a way to fold those features into MC. I know these programs aren't 'free' because someone has taken some time to bring them to us so it could never a bad thing to donate a few bucks for programs with the features you like.

-h
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

botface wrote:I guess Mixcraft just isn't aimed at people who are musically literate
Amen to that! I'd much rather have a modicum of talent than to ever consider myself literate in anything. -h
elaw

Post by elaw »

botface wrote:I guess Mixcraft just isn't aimed at people who are musically literate
With all due respect, that makes about as much sense as saying Mixcraft isn't aimed at people who eat food because it can't cook your dinner.

At its core, Mixcraft emulates a digital audio recorder connected to a mixing board. Added to that are a bunch of effects and virtual instruments, and a MIDI sequencer that has better editing capabilities than most hardware sequencers. I don't think it's fair to criticize it just because it doesn't have all the features of dedicated music composition software.

Having said that, I do think it would be fantastic if the MIxcraft and MuseScore guys could get together and somehow integrate the two programs, as MuseScore is a wonderful piece of software... especially for what it costs.