Please include Tempo Envelopes!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

GrizzKarizz

Please include Tempo Envelopes!

Post by GrizzKarizz »

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I don't really mind, persistence often pays off, but are we ever going to see "tempo envelopes" like we have for pan and volume? (I think I have the terminology right).

I wrote this in the suggestions thread, which went ignored after Mixcraft 8 came out.

I'm not sure if everyone is fine with having to manually work out gradual tempo changes, but to be honest, I'm not. It's is my only gripe with the software. I love everything about it. I've been bragging about Mixcraft 8 to my other musician mates, mainly about the Melodyne inclusion, so don't get me wrong, other than this issue I love it.

Though in saying that, having to sit down with a calculator and a pencil to figure out gradual tempo changes is a real pain. The feature has been included in Guitar Pro and probably other DAWs for a while now. I cannot understand why it still hasn't been included in Mixcraft.

If this already has been included and I just can't see it, please let me know where to find it.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Please include Tempo Envelopes!

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The suggestions posted in the suggestion thread aren't ignored, but we do have to choose which of the hundreds of suggestions we implement for each major update. We pore over the suggestions and spend a lot of time figuring out which ones to work on. If your favorite suggestion doesn't show up in a particular build, don't despair, it could show up in a future update. Suggestions like this one, which is pretty popular, have a better chance than more obscure ones. However, I can't guarantee it will show up in a particular update or version, since piles and piles of suggested features are all jostling to be added.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Stevethesearcher

Post by Stevethesearcher »

Tempo envelopes are very important. It's an essential feature especially at the end of a song where you want to slow the song down to finish. I am surprised this isn't considered an essential feature. I do use this a lot. Mixcraft definitely needs this. I totally agree with the OP
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Stevethesearcher wrote:Tempo envelopes are very important. It's an essential feature especially at the end of a song where you want to slow the song down to finish. I am surprised this isn't considered an essential feature. I do use this a lot. Mixcraft definitely needs this. I totally agree with the OP
Hi,

You may already know this, but you can use track markers to change the tempo in Mixcraft.

Greg
Stevethesearcher

Post by Stevethesearcher »

I didn't know you could change the tempo with Markers Greg. I don't own Mixcraft yet so I am only familiar with the videos I have seen on YouTube on your official YouTube channel. Thanks for informing me. It's important personally for me that I can slow a song down at the end. I like to do that to end some of my songs. I usually use an envelope for that in Reason hence my interest in this post.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Here you go:

Download Mixcraft and try it for free!
Tranceprod Dan

Post by Tranceprod Dan »

I think the best way to implement a smooth tempo envelope would be a way to link 2 markers and set the tempo range (eg marker 1 at 70 bpm and 2 at 90 bpm). Then an algorithm would create a smooth transition between those two tempos. There should be options for Linear, Exponential and Logarithmic. That would be a fantastic feature and I think anyone who does score/orchestral work would absolutely love to see it in 8.1. Or alternatively just a tempo automation lane that is on the Master channel. Yeah, actually that seems easier.
Check out the Mixcraft subreddit
GrizzKarizz

Post by GrizzKarizz »

By ignored, I mean the last post in the "Suggestions" thread I wrote hasn't been answered in a few days.

I fully understand that markers can be used to change tempo, but at the moment, if say we want to gradually change a song's tempo from 120 to say 130 over four bars, we have to sit down and figure that out. 120 to 130 is an example that can be easily done with markers, but some aren't so easy. Especially if we want a song to gradually increase over the length of a song. We'd have to put markers on every single bar of the song. It's time consuming.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

The reason the suggestion thread scrolls down and appears ignored is largely because people continue to create separate threads on their favorite suggestions. Always been that way, and that point should be obvious.
What is not obvious to me is why the "off topic" forum threads often get way more views than the topical forums.....
But I digress.

The current situation is this hasn't been implemented at this time. If you are looking for a response that assures it will happen, or a specific time frame that it might happen, that kind of response isn't likely to happen for multiple reasons.

The suggestion for tempo envelopes has been posted, read and acknowledged repeatedly, including here, today. I have seen no one who has disagreed or said it was a bad suggestion.

So I am not sure what you want. An occasional reminder isn't a bad idea, but beating it into the ground isn't likely to change anything. It appears to me that full time (and then some!) effort is being put into fine tuning the current version. Perhaps when the time comes, this suggestion will rise to the top of the long list as we hope.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
GrizzKarizz

Post by GrizzKarizz »

I'm not sure I'm "beating it into the ground". I suggested it, with a few others before 7. I was hoping and forked out my $39 (or whatever it was at the time) hoping it would be implement, but to no avail.

I was told that it may be implemented in 7.5, but unfortunately not.

I forked out an extra $39 again, still no avail.

Tempo changes with markers is clunky and time consuming, so as a paying customer, I will keep suggesting it at every opportunity until I get what I want. Which I have every right to do.
chibear

Post by chibear »

I feel your pain, Grizz.

While I can get markers to work for gradual tempo changes, A conductor track or tempo track is a much more elegant solution.

This is just one example of items that seem to always fall through the cracks version to version, along with a good MIDI editing toolbox with lines and curves also included in automations.

You have to remember that Acoustica is a small company and driven by a small staff and, while I think there are several who are very knowledgeable in MIDI theory, I doubt that there are many dedicated MIDI users there or these issues would have been addressed.

So you have 2 choices: 1 Find work arounds and continue to campaign for the changes or

2 Double your $39 and add a zero plus the effort to learn a new and more complicated DAW with the features that are missing for you in Mixcraft.

I'm still here, for the time being at least :mrgreen:
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
GrizzKarizz

Post by GrizzKarizz »

Just to reiterate again, this is just one thing that I wish could be implemented. The rest of the program I love to bits. It's not a complaint, but until it is included, I will ask for it every time we are asked for suggestions. Then if it isn't included, I will ask again. I didn't take kindly to the 'beating into the ground' hyperbole.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Grizz, I think you interpreted my phrase more harshly than it was intended, and because of that I apologize. And will add that you shouldn't take it personally.
And it is but one opinion, which by the way we all have a right to express here last I checked.

Furthermore, I have always and still do whole heartedly and emphatically support the suggestion you (and others before you) have made since probably MX6. That and the ones Chibear mentions are part of a small group I strongly hope will rise to the top of the list next round, whenever that may be.

I also fully support bringing it up, and discussing it as needed/desired. Hopefully in more constructively than some discussions that occur on the subject of "my favorite feature is still not implemented".

But reposting and commenting that the post didn't get a sufficient reply- the same day and only a handful of posts after it was replied to, seems excessive. Thus my "beating it" comment.
Let it slide, I am just a fellow user who wants the same thing as you, trust me. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I only brought up tempo markers in this topic because I suspected that Stevethesearcher didn't know that option existed, and I was correct in my assumption.

Envelope control of tempo was one of the features discussed for Mixcraft 8. We get hundreds of suggestions and everybody has a different idea about which feature needs to go in first, but we're a small team and we have to pick and choose which features to implement or we'd never release the new version. Nobody is saying that it wouldn't be a cool, useful feature, but it didn't get added this time around.

Greg