Melodyne

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BillW

Melodyne

Post by BillW »

Is there a post somewhere that summarizes what the MX8 version of Melodyne can and can't do - compared to the (very expensive) full version?

I'd like to get an idea if it's worth learning and fooling around with it - since that would of course be a personal decision based on what it can/can't do.

It sounds like a potential "black hole" for me - spending obsessive amounts of time "perfecting" sounds - and therefore might be much better suited for a professional or semi-0professional endeavor (rather than my one man garage band use of MX).
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Brewsir

Re: Melodyne

Post by Brewsir »

I'm with him..........waiting :)
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

My understanding is that the version of Melodyne included with Pro Studio is the essentials version.

Here is a link to the Melodyne Essentials Manual.

http://helpcenter.celemony.com/pdf/melo ... nglish.pdf

Hope it helps

Cheers

John
BillW

Post by BillW »

It sure does help - thanks John!
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Theres also some great tutorials on the Celemony site, which Melodyne offers to send you to upon opening the program.
Its not obvious in places where the essentials version stops and features of the premium versions are shown however. Clearly, some advanced tools and functions aren't there, just what those are I am learning......
http://helpcenter.celemony.com/hc-2/

Also, Greg (under)stated elsewhere that "there's a learning curve".
I've been experimenting and trying to learn the basics for the last week and yes, its gonna take some time. Black hole potential indeed.

But after just beginning to grasp some basic functions I would offer that IMO, the engine behind this bit of work is pretty awesome. Its going to be a powerful tool, and I see use beyond vocals too.
But for example, say you have a vocal track that is very good, except for one off key note (or even portion of a word!) you can go in, push it into place and hear that it is what you want. Spot repair ability is amazingly good IMO.

Sometimes versions of software that are sold as "essentials" are stripped of so many functions as to be quickly found lacking. Occasionally you find some that instead cover the core functions well enough that only an advanced, pro, or "power" user might really miss the additional tools and features. Too early to be sure, but this sure feels more like the latter to me.

But I have a lot to learn here, but my early impressions have me eager to get a grasp on it. Sound results are awesome, and the detail at which you can edit is shocking to me. With all due respects, this isn't G-Snap!

But if it helps answer part of the question, it also offers macro functions that will allow varying amounts of overall pitch and separately, time altering that could be used to speed up results, as well as keep it "human".

You need to know what key your clip or track is in to make matters far easier. Also, as of yet I haven't found how to synch up to the Mixcraft project tempo, which I hoped it would do automatically (for time grid purposes.)
If its there, I'll find it.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

It's easier to Google what's required. Google: 'Melodyne Essential 2' (without the quotation marks) and then select 'Videos'. This will bring up a nice selection of instruction videos specifically for Melodyne Essential v2.
GrizzKarizz

Post by GrizzKarizz »

We have some Russian spam...

Melodyne is a great inclusion. For those like myself who use a lot of midi, but don't have keyboard skills it would have been awesome if the essentials edition had midi export, but apart from that, as Mark says, it's a great tool.

Hands down the best inclusion so far. In my opinion, anyway.
Brewsir

Post by Brewsir »

When I enable Melodyne on a track, I have a choice between "Melodyne", and "Melodyne VST". Are they the same? It also crashes quite a bit on my system
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Brewsir wrote:When I enable Melodyne on a track, I have a choice between "Melodyne", and "Melodyne VST". Are they the same? It also crashes quite a bit on my system
Hi,

Do you have Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio? Are you using the integrated Melodyne Essentials on the Sound tab?

Do you have Mixcraft 8.0 build 373?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Brewsir

Post by Brewsir »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
Brewsir wrote:When I enable Melodyne on a track, I have a choice between "Melodyne", and "Melodyne VST". Are they the same? It also crashes quite a bit on my system
Hi,

Do you have Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio? Are you using the integrated Melodyne Essentials on the Sound tab?

Do you have Mixcraft 8.0 build 373?

Greg
Yes, yes, and yes. :D Woops, jumped the gun, I was NOT, working "on the Sound tab". :oops:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

One is VST2 and one is VST3. If you use the integrated Melodyne on the Sound tab, you'd be using the VST3 version. If one isn't working well for you, you could try the other.

Greg
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Theoretical question Greg.
If one was to upgrade to a higher version of Melodyne, would the integration within the sound tab remain?
Just thinking forward, don't need it right now........
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It should just integrate and work.

It turns out that a couple of people who were crashing on exit had an older version of Melodyne (v2) and it worked, but it crashed on exit. The next build should handle that better.

Greg