Does MX8 allow VST control of external MIDI hardware?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Greg

Re: Does MX8 allow VST control of external MIDI hardware?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We'll see what happens in future builds and versions!

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
RobAsticles

Post by RobAsticles »

The possibility, to use external hardware in the reaplugs way would be very appreciated by me.

Maybe it could be a possibility, to find a way, so the reaplugs could be selected as a Instrument-vst. At this time, they can only be chosen as effect-vst in Mixcraft - other DAWs can load them as instrument vsts (!)

I think this can be simply changed by not more than one or two lines of C++ code. Maybe it could be implemented in the next patch for mixcraft?

Thanks and best regards

Rob
MBCape

Post by MBCape »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:16 am Hi,

You may be the only person who has requested this. The features we added to Mixcraft 9 have been popular requests for a long time.

That said, we're always open to suggestions, so it's possible some future update or upgrade could have this feature.

Greg
FWIW, as a new MC9 Pro user with a significant investment in external (midi) hardware, I've been searching the program for this feature, or something like it. I had expected to find it as an ability to define the presets on an external midi device, then, once defined, easily reference them for setting up sessions.

So, Bill is not the only one. (Maybe there's two of us, maybe more...). Just thought I'd speak up.

Mark

**** EDIT 5/27/20 *****
Just as an example, I'm now getting to the point where I can start working with my external hardware, and attempting to learn how to add program changes (which I think I have down), but can't seem to get (or perhaps understand how) Bank Changes to work. For example, on my Korg TR88, if I'm sitting with an A Bank patch, and try to switch to a different bank, it seems to jump to the GM bank no matter what I'm using for a desired bank value. (This is where the above-mentioned enhancements would really come in handy.)

Any help to determine how to control this function, and the specific values I should use for the different banks on the TR88 (A, B, C, D, GM), would be wonderful. Then it'll be onto the Kurz Forte and K2000RS with the same issues. I'm really amazed this issue hasn't been addressed.

Have the other external hardware users found a more workable solution, or an online reference that would be helpful?

Thanks all!
BillB

Post by BillB »

Every once in a while I return to this topic just to see if there is an update or effective workaround that has somehow dealt with this issue. I would really like to be working with Mixcraft, it is definitely one of the easier-to-use DAWs, precisely as it markets itself.

However, it is not easy to use with the majority of MIDI hardware synths out there, the majority of which also have programmable memories or preset patches. The only options is to enter bank and patch numbers to call up programs. Some synths can have thousands of such patch locations. Having to look up the bank/patch number and enter it into a dialogue box is, frankly, archaic. Most DAWs were probably doing that in the late 80's and thereafter moved on to some form of lookup text tables: Cakewalk .INS, Cubase patch files - most DAWs have an option of their own, or can work with another system.

This still feels like a big gap in Mixcraft and whilst I am prepared to accept that not many people have asked for it, I am amazed. Perhaps because the majority work in the box, or maybe they use memory-less analogs so they don't need to select patches. But for folks with hardware synths with patches, this is a show-stopper. Is it so hard to fix?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

So the feature request is a look-up table feature that would make it easier to work with external synths? Do you have a specific example?

Greg
BillB

Post by BillB »

Hi Greg, thanks for the reply. If you look at the earlier postings, e.g.
https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic. ... 19#p103522 you will see the following comment:
ReaControl only loads into MX8 as a VST effect, not as a VST instrument. If it is selected in the instrument panel and then <Route to track> (say MIDIport1), it doesn't appear to output any MIDI data from its track to the External MIDI track.

Acoustica team, it would be a real benefit if Mixcraft could handle this ReaControl VST (as say Tracktion does) or better still, have native use of (Cakewalk) .ins files in the Instrument panel. Many hardware synths/FX (and some software) have pre-existing .ins files on the web, and they are not hard to make - they are just text files.
It would be better not to create a new format for Mixcraft, because there is a massive resource of existing Instrument templates, especially in Cakewalk .ins format. Reaper Reabanks are also popular, with many on their site. Having said that, if it was possible for ReaControl VST to work within Mixcraft (i.e. for it to be loaded as an instrument and not an effect) it would have access to both filetypes and then be able to send MIDI bank/program change, referred to by the patch's name, to the track's defined MIDI port. Mixcraft users would then have access to the massive resource of .ins and .reabank files out there, for example:

https://stash.reaper.fm/tag/Bank-Patches

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... finitions/

No need to reinvent this wheel, just make it work with Mixcraft :)
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
BillB

Post by BillB »

Greg, I can't find the 'suggestions for MX10' thread, but could you take this as a suggestion, please!
BillB

Re: Does MX8 allow VST control of external MIDI hardware? SOLVED!

Post by BillB »

OK, time to report this as 'SOLVED' because forum user Cactus-head kindly tracked down and shared a viable and free alternative to ReaControl, called 'Selector'. Seems to work because Selector is a VST Instrument, unlike Reacontrol, which is a VST Effect. The former plays nicely with Mixcraft for MIDI output, the latter doesn't. It works with .ins files, not .reabank files, but that's good enough to do the job.

Details here: https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?t=28672
BillB

Post by BillB »

Slight qualification to ‘solved’. Selector may not be fully reliable - under investigation. More details on the above link.
BillB

Re: Does MX10 allow VST control of external MIDI hardware?

Post by BillB »

Note updated title. I would love to go with MX10. Can Acoustica clarify? The 'what's new?' info includes:
Pro Studio provides new and advanced MIDI and audio options that enable you to route the output of a plug-in to use with others. Now you can easily route and record the output, for instance, of a MIDI-generating plug-in such as an arpeggiator or chord generator to another plug-in, natively with Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio.
So would that capability mean that MX10 can finally host ReaControl in a useful way which overcomes the previous issue:
ReaControl only loads into MX8(/9) as a VST effect, not as a VST instrument. If it is selected in the instrument panel and then <Route to track> (say MIDIport1), it doesn't appear to output any MIDI data from its track to the External MIDI track. Acoustica team, it would be a real benefit if Mixcraft could handle this ReaControl VST (as say Tracktion does) or better still, have native use of (Cakewalk) .ins files in the Instrument panel. Many hardware synths/FX (and some software) have pre-existing .ins files on the web, and they are not hard to make - they are just text files.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio has the ability to record the MIDI output of plugins that can output MIDI on another track.

(It can also record the audio output of plugins that output audio).

I don't know that anything has changed in respect to ReaControl, but you could try it in Mixcraft 10 just to see.

Greg
BillB

Post by BillB »

OK thanks Greg. I'll try the demo at some point, unless someone else gets there first and reports back
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

I don't think ReaControl will work in the way you hope. The record from an FX VST function seems to record on and off notes. I'm unable to record MIDI from that particular effect. However, because MC 10 offers a "safe mode" loading feature for buggy plugins, you may still be able to use Selector on the instrument track without crashing Mixcraft.

Another thing to try - which I haven't - that might work in MC 9 or MC 8 as well as 10 is to use Kushview element where you can route multiple plugins through Element. You may be able to route Reacomp through there on MCs instruments instead of FXs.

I might give it a shot at some point but I haven't had the patience to learn Element. It seems completely unintutive to me but reading about it it seems extremely powerful (and it's free).
Last edited by cactus-head on Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I tested recording the MIDI output of an effect using Jam Origin MIDI Guitar and that worked.

Greg