Mixcraft 8 or Mixcraft Pro 8?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Stevethesearcher

Mixcraft 8 or Mixcraft Pro 8?

Post by Stevethesearcher »

Hey Guys,

I have a dilemma. I have decided to buy Mixcraft this week. The only question is do I get Mixcraft 8 or Mixcraft Pro 8.

I don't use Loops at all except for percussion Loops. So thousands of Loops don't really interest me as I wouldn't use them. I like to program everything myself except I will gladly use percussion Loops if they are available alongside programmed Drum Parts.

I already have Melodyne Essential as part of Sonar and I bought an old version of Melodyne years ago when it was called something else so I know I have access to vocal editing. Anyway there is now Vocal Pitch editing in Reason 9 for the first time.

I have plenty of instruments in Reason which I could rewire to Mixcraft as a slave device.

Do I really need Mixcraft Pro or would Mixcraft 8 be enough. I am in a dilemma. I also have to upgrade to Reason 9 from Reason 7. I also want to get Izotope Neutron and upgrade my Ozone 4 to the latest version.

I really need Mixcraft for adding VST instruments, having a good piano roll and step sequencer and a straightforward easy to use interface. Finally for mastering.

I would be most grateful if people here could give me their thoughts based on what I have just said.

Thank you
Acoustica Greg

Re: Mixcraft 8 or Mixcraft Pro 8?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Have you perused the Mixcraft 8 Comparison Chart? You get the same loops and features, but Mixcraft 8 Pro Studios adds a whole bunch of plugins.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
GrizzKarizz

Post by GrizzKarizz »

Personally, I'd go pro. Mainly because you may find you need the extra plug ins in the future. 
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Steve, It sounds to me like you have already decided the Pro version isn't ideal for you, and in all honesty you make convincing points, though I know very little about all that Propeller Head stuff...... 8)

One additional consideration, if you buy the Recording-studio version and later decide to upgrade to Pro-studio, the cost is essentially the difference between versions anyway, so its not like you are "out of luck" or made a costly mistake not buying it in the first place.

Either way, good choice. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Stevethesearcher

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate the feedback. I think I will get Mixcraft 8 and as Mark Bliss says I can always update to Mixcraft Pro at a later date. As long as I can rewrite Reason 9 into Mixcraft 8 I will be ok for the moment. I can do this can't I?

It's not that I can't afford 180 Dollars. I can but I have other software I need to get such as my Reason 9 upgrade and upgrade to Ozone 7 plus. Once I can upgrade to Mixcraft Pro at a later date and rework Reason into Mixcraft 8 recording version I am good to go for the present.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I am not much of a synth user, and though there has been some discussion of rewire a few times here, and I have read them all.... My comprehension of what they are discussing runs extremely low to be honest.
From what I gather, there was a limitation that some users had in MX7. I have no idea at this point if that changed for MX8. We may need Greg to clarify.

But in the meantime, two suggestions:
You could do a forum search for topics containing the word "rewire" and see if any of it helps answer your question.
Also, I would suggest installing the Mixcraft free trial and testing it out yourself to see if it's going to suite your needs.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft can act as a ReWire host, but not the other way around. So, you could have the audio from Reason show up as a track in Mixcraft. Is that what you want to do?

If you have 64-bit Reason, you have to run 64-bit Mixcraft and if you're running 32-bit Reason, you have to run 32-bit Mixcraft for this to work.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Stevethesearcher

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I wanted Mixcraft to be the host. Reason would be the slave. The idea is to run Reason devices within Mixcraft. Mixcraft would act as a VST host and as a place to run Ozone and export final mastered mix. Reason can't host VST plug ins which is its greatest weakness. Simply you can't really use it alone if you want to use Ozone, Addictive Drums, and a whole host of other plug ins that all the other DAWS support.

From what you tell me everything should be ok. Anyway in worse case scenario I could export Reason tracks one by one as WAV files into Mixcraft and then mix down from there after adding my Addictive Drums and Ozone. So I am covered either way. I have taken note of your 64 bit 32 bit instruction. I will bear that in mind. I run Windows 7 64 bit Laptop as my DAW Laptop.