Remove M7 before M8 Install?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Torton5

Remove M7 before M8 Install?

Post by Torton5 »

Just downloading the Mixcraft 8 Pro upgrade now and holding my breath that my internet connection will hold (i'm in Australia). One question I thought of as I am already running M7 Pro: Should I remove M7 Pro first before putting 8 on? I only want one of them on there not 2.
GrizzKarizz

Re: Remove M7 before M8 Install?

Post by GrizzKarizz »

You don't have to uninstall 7. It's also perfectly okay to uninstall 7 then install 8.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, it's fine either way. Uninstalling Mixcraft 7 won't remove any of your projects or anything, it just removes the files the installer installed.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

Thanks guys, will upgrade this afternoon then, hopefully M8 will pick up all the plugins etc for my projects when I open M7 projects in M8, I only have a few so not a big deal if some searching and matching has to be done.
darkcrystal34

Post by darkcrystal34 »

Curious if there's any potential downside to upgrading now?

i.e. do some people prefer to purposefully stick with M7, wait a few months, or half a year, for Acoustica to release a first patch or upgrade working out kinks in 8, before upgrading?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

:D "first patch" already happened. 8)

If this was a typical software developer I'd whole-heartedly recommend waiting a bit. But this is no typical software developer and I cant think of any reason to say yes to your question.
If your going to upgrade to the new version, might as well be learning and using the new features as early as possible.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

Well that was painless, picked up everything after i uninstalled 7 and put 8 on. All working great, had computer on all the time running M8 and doing intermittent stuff on M8, Looks like the interface has been made cleaner, everything seems a bit more polished, colorful and professional, nice job guys! This might be even more inspiring than 7, well done on that score. Not easy to make interface improvements without adding hideous clutter which puts me off all the other DAW's.

No problem with crashing or anything like that for me at all, but I never had any problem with 7 anyway. Integrates nicely with Kontakt, guitar rig pro 5, massive etc and my weird and wonderful ancient 32bit and 64bit VST's. Glad glass viper is still here and lounge lizard, they are a lot more useable than first thought. Haven't tried the new instruments and plugins, will do later.

I'll give it a more thorough road test and might post on my experiences with the changes for others to read later.

This might not sound right, but with 7, I always felt a little self conscious when I was working on a project and some of my muso mates came around with their full on DAW's that they (don't) use! Especially when I had the instrument window open, which looked like a throwback to windows 98. Not so anymore.
ashutoshkushwaha

Post by ashutoshkushwaha »

Not necessary. As mixcraft 7 and 8 both create different folders in Program Files so they don't conflict with each other. But if you want to free up space in your hard drive, then you may uninstall MX 7 Pro Studio first and then install MX 8 Pro Studio.

One more thing, once you are done with your upgrade, please let me know whether Melodyne Editor is there in MX 8 Pro Studio. I did a fresh install of MX 8 Pro Studio and still struggling to find where exactly the Melodyne is. It's not under sound tab as shown in the mixcraft website.
:arrow: :arrow: Ashutosh Kushwaha :!: :!:
Torton5

Re: Remove M7 before M8 Install?- solved!

Post by Torton5 »

I only like 1 version of Mixcraft on my system, just like to keep everything clean. It may not technically be necessary to uninstall 7 before 8 as other posters have indicated, it just makes me feel better with my workflow. As regards to Melodyne, I cannot help you as I don't use it. I may have a use for it in about a month, so I will go looking for it then.

I used to use it with studio one and from memory, it requires an account to be made with Celemony and registration info exchanged on their website before it is functional. I imagine it is the same deal with Mixcraft, might have to register it before it can be used.