waves electric88 VST3 crashes [SOLVED]

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

elaw

Re: waves electric88 VST3 crashes

Post by elaw »

There are other programs? :lol:

Kidding aside, I tried the Electric 88 last night with the free/eval versions of Podium and Reaper, and it seems to work fine with both.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Was that the VST3 version of Electric88?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
elaw

Post by elaw »

Uh... I think so?

In Reaper, it appears under the "VST3i" category... I'm not sure how to tell in Podium.
mick

Post by mick »

I just came across this and wondered if it may offer any solution of any kind.

http://www.pendlebury.biz/waves-plugins ... g-your-daw
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Does this only happen with 64-bit Mixcraft? Have you tried Electric 88 with 32-bit Mixcraft? I'm guessing this is not the issue, because it's only Electric 88 and not all Waves plugins.

Greg
elaw

Post by elaw »

Actually I've been using 32-bit Mixcraft, but the versions of Podium and Reaper I tried were 64-bit (this is on 64-bit Windows 10).

But I just installed 64-bit Mixcraft and updated it to build 380 and it has the same problems.
elaw

Post by elaw »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Greg
I did a little more digging on this... it appears that Waves provides both a VST and VST3 version of the plugin. However I've only been able to get Mixcraft to recognize the VST3 version.

So I guess the short answer to your question is "yes"! :lol:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

elaw wrote:
Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Greg
I did a little more digging on this... it appears that Waves provides both a VST and VST3 version of the plugin. However I've only been able to get Mixcraft to recognize the VST3 version.

So I guess the short answer to your question is "yes"! :lol:
Hi,

I was asking whether you'd tested the VST3 version in the other DAWs, because the VST3 version is the only one that loads correctly in Mixcraft.

This is because Electric 88 is a virtual instrument in a VST shell, and Mixcraft thinks plugins in VST shells are effects, not instruments. So, you'd find the VST2 version of Electric 88 in the effects list, not the VSTi list.

Greg
elaw

Post by elaw »

AARGH!! For just a minute, I thought I'd found a way to make it work. :(

If I fire up Mixcraft and go into the fx for a channel, Electric88 is indeed there. It was in MC 7 too, but would never do anything.

Anyhow, I do the above, select Electric88 as an effect, and start hitting keys on my keyboard and... it works! The instrument actually plays, and doesn't have the most egregious issue when it's used the "right way" which is that everything freezes as soon as a MIDI control message is sent. I could fiddle with the pitch bend wheel all I want when playing, the pitch bend works, and no freezing.

But when I record on that track then play it back, the notes seemingly don't get sent to the Electric88 because there's no sound and the E88 GUI doesn't show any keys being pressed. The same happens when I load a MIDI file to the track and try to play it.

For anyone who is desperate I did find a way to make the E88 work: you can host it in another DAW and use rewire. I tried that with Reaper and Ableton lite and was successful with both.
elaw

Post by elaw »

Hey for all interested... I just updated to build 389 and it seems the E88 works! :D

I haven't tested super-extensively but before I could make it crash in about 10 seconds doing specific things, and when I try those things now it is fine.

A huge THANK YOU to whoever fixed this!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You're welcome. That's just one of the many fixes we crammed into Mixcraft 8.1. Thank you for letting us know the update helped!

Greg
phegi

Re: waves electric88 VST3 crashes [SOLVED]

Post by phegi »

The electric88 is working now after the latest update! Thanks for the good work!
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

It is rather obvious to me that VST3 in general doesn't work properly. If those who need it for this plugin can now use it that is great, but for those who elsewhere on the forum previously questioned why, when I had mentioned that pretty much within the first 2 days of using Mixcraft 8 I had removed all trace of VST3s from my system, read the above thread and you'll get the point. Life is too short for such time wasting, clunky, machine slowing, rubbish. If I wanted to go back to waiting 5 minutes for Mixcraft to load I'd go back to using my dual-core windows 7 laptop installation of Mixcraft 6 in 2012.
Anyway. that's got that off my chest. Aaahhh, relax ... That's better. :)
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

It's amazing to me how the Acoustica troop will scramble to try and fix problems caused by a $39 plug-in that someone else sells.

I do wonder what they did to not be able to 'officially' support MC. The guy in the video stated that it was designed to sit in its own 'channel' but E88 is also having some issues with Cubase users.

It must be the 'COMP' knob. Nothing good could ever come from it. :lol:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Ian Craig wrote:It is rather obvious to me that VST3 in general doesn't work properly. If those who need it for this plugin can now use it that is great, but for those who elsewhere on the forum previously questioned why, when I had mentioned that pretty much within the first 2 days of using Mixcraft 8 I had removed all trace of VST3s from my system, read the above thread and you'll get the point. Life is too short for such time wasting, clunky, machine slowing, rubbish. If I wanted to go back to waiting 5 minutes for Mixcraft to load I'd go back to using my dual-core windows 7 laptop installation of Mixcraft 6 in 2012.
Anyway. that's got that off my chest. Aaahhh, relax ... That's better. :)
Hi,

This was a very specific problem with the Electric88 VST3 plugin and it's been fixed now. If anybody is having problems with Electric88, they can simply update Mixcraft to fix it.

If you or anyone else are having other problems with VST3 plugins in general, we'd like to fix it, but the devil is in the details. Let us know the specifics of the problem so we can see whether there's anything we can do about it. Of course, if a particular plugin is buggy, there may not be much we can do about it, but you shouldn't write off VST3 plugins in general, because some plugins are only available in VST3 format.

Greg