Getting audio to stay put in the clip while editing in Sound Tab?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Starship Krupa

Getting audio to stay put in the clip while editing in Sound Tab?

Post by Starship Krupa »

Since buying Mixcraft v6 a couple of years ago, I have almost never used the Sound Tab editor/view for anything other than manually selecting the Noise Reduction sample region (I say "almost" because I did use it on one song to load up the Omni Sampler with some audio I wanted to trigger and fiddled with warping on another song).

I feel bad because Acoustica obviously go to a lot of trouble to supply it, but I have yet to find a use for it in my home studio workflow.

To clarify, I do not build songs from existing loops, I do not create my own loops or samples from records or any of that.

I record audio and MIDI in real time, and then edit the MIDI data and usually do some cutting of the audio into clips for comping and trimming. Kinda old school these days, I guess.

The other day I got the idea that for trimming my clips, I might use the Sound Editor tab to trim some vocal clips down to where just the audio I want is located, with no breath noises, lip smacks, whatever. I had been doing this in the tracking window by just resizing the clips, but that can be imprecise and also leave audible clicks at the edges of the clips, but the Sound Tab allows for greater magnification as well as looping of the audio in the clip while editing, and seems to help avoid the clicks at the beginning and end of audio.

I made a few splits where I wanted to truncate the beginnings and endings of the sounds, and pulled a clip up in the Sound Tab.

I did a Reset Loop to Crop and got the start and end points pulled in to just the area of my clip, started looping the audio, and then this is where things went sideways (literally).

I brought in the loop start and end markers just right to where I wanted the clip to start and end, and then hit the main transport to check out the results.

Sacre bleu! The vocal in the clip was no longer in time with the backing tracks.

Turns out Mixcraft merrily shoved the audio over to the starting edge of the clip when I brought in the loop start marker. What I expected was that it would leave the audio in place along the timeline during this process. Maybe I'd need to resize the Crop in the track, but that isn't a big chore, and isn't there a menu item for resetting the crop to the loop?

Perhaps there is some use case for this behavior, but I don't get why one would want the audio moving around the track as one is editing it in the Sound Tab. Maybe in the "build it from loops" style of composition start times are more important than staying in sync with the other tracks? Got me.

Anyway, is there some way to accomplish what I am talking about with the Sound Tab? Or should I just leave the Sound Tab to the youngsters and whatever it is they do when they "get jiggy" with their beats and their samples and newfangled whatnots?

To recap for the tl/dr crew: I just want to trim the start and stop of a clip, and I want the audio to stay in its place on the timeline rather than jumping to the start of the crop area.
-Erik
Mark Bliss

Re: Getting audio to stay put in the clip while editing in Sound Tab?

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yep, have to agree.
And its not just the "audio editor" portion but the piano roll that seems to be in need of some overdue behavioral therapy.

See also:
http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... 45#p102609
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
elaw

Post by elaw »

Not that this probably helps much, especially as I'm quite a noob regarding DAW software, but I've found that aspect confusing too.

It seems like MC treats "loop start" as the start of the clip, rather than what I'd expect which is the start of the portion that would be repeated if you "stretch' the clip in the track editor.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I was hoping the right-click "Set As Start Time" option would help with this, but that is just setting the snap point for the clip when you move it again.

I see what you mean. I suppose this is designed for people who use loops that will be repeated and placed in different locations, not for someone editing an existing recording that needs to remain stationary in time.

I'll see if anybody has any ideas for a workaround, but thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Actually, you should probably just file a feature enhancement request for this one.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

Acoustica Greg wrote: I'll see if anybody has any ideas for a workaround, but thanks for the suggestion!
Now that you put it that way, into bugzilla it goes as an enhancement request!

Mark, you may want to add your comment/assent:

http://bugz.acoustica.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9472
-Erik