MC 8 Submix Solo Bug

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Manfred

Re: MC 8 Submix Solo Bug

Post by Manfred »

It gets a bit philosophical here...

What are submixes for: to house in 24 pretty girls singing "ooooh", make a decent mix, put a good portion of reverb on them and forget about them until the final mix.
What is a solo-button for: to find the one girl that constantly is out of tune in every chorus.

Why should I want to hear a soloed track in the context of all the others? I have a fader to put this track in the right context. And if I'm not satisfied with the overall sound of this special track, I would solo it anyway (I mean real solo) to clearly hear what's the matter. Unsoloing brings it back to the context.

Thank you, Greg, for considering this issue.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Manfred wrote:It gets a bit philosophical here...

What are submixes for: to house in 24 pretty girls singing "ooooh", make a decent mix, put a good portion of reverb on them and forget about them until the final mix.
What is a solo-button for: to find the one girl that constantly is out of tune in every chorus.

Why should I want to hear a soloed track in the context of all the others? I have a fader to put this track in the right context. And if I'm not satisfied with the overall sound of this special track, I would solo it anyway (I mean real solo) to clearly hear what's the matter. Unsoloing brings it back to the context.

Thank you, Greg, for considering this issue.
I agree with your point but I don't see what is philosophical about it. It's a matter of practicality. The name on the button is 'solo', not 'solo within its own submix but don't expect to hear it actually in solo because it's not going to happen'

I'm just a simple user. For me, when I click on a solo button I expect to hear that track in solo. If I don't hear it in solo, then the button is not working properly as far as I am concerned.

Anyway the point is moot. There are changes on the way and I am very grateful for that.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Manfred wrote:Why should I want to hear a soloed track in the context of all the others?
For example I might have a drums submix. With the current setup I can solo the kick and see how well it fits in the overall mix. With a 'real' solo setup I would have to mute all the other drum tracks to achieve this. With the current 'local' solo option I can do it with a single solo click. If I then want to solo the drum completely it's just another solo click at the submix parent level. That seems a lot less effort to me and much more flexible.

Edit: On reflection, I think what I'd like to see is maybe a 'dual mode' solo - click the button to get a 'global' solo (i.e. what you guys call 'real solo') and maybe a control-click to restrict the solo to the current submix. That way you could solo as needed depending on the circumstances.