More keys for virtual instruments.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

boradere

More keys for virtual instruments.

Post by boradere »

Can we use Virtual Instruments in mixcraft like this one

https://onlinesequencer.net/

(using all keys on the keyboard)

Please do that. also i'll like to be able to record all the keys without pressing the record button, that way i can get what im playing even if im not recording or something.
RobertAllan

Re: More keys for virtual instruments.

Post by RobertAllan »

boradere wrote:Can we use Virtual Instruments in mixcraft like this one

https://onlinesequencer.net/

(using all keys on the keyboard)

Please do that. also i'll like to be able to record all the keys without pressing the record button, that way i can get what im playing even if im not recording or something.
Ive prolly misunderstood your question here, but you can use all the keys on your midi-keyboard when using the virtual instruments in Mixcraft. Meaning it works from the lowest note to the highest note and everyone in between, of course most instruments and sounds has a ideal range to sound the best though..Not sure what you mean with your last question..not recording is not recording from my standpoint,lol but you can easily arm a track so you can play around with it and hear the sounds your producing and just click record whenever you feel ready to record something. Ive never used a sampler or sequenser so maybe im totally misunderstanding your question, if not i tried..

RobertAllan
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

C'mon Robert, he/she wants to record without recording. Is that so hard to understand? :lol:

Seriously, I cant make any sense of that either.

Some virtual instruments do use a limited range of a keyboard, it varies from product to product and has nothing to do with Mixcraft.

What is it that you do with the online sequencer piano roll you cant do in the DAW piano roll exactly? Looks like a very similar function to me.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Tranceprod Dan

Post by Tranceprod Dan »

Mark, I think they want to use that style of keyboard (i.e. 3 octaves) as the virtual onscreen keyboard. This isn't really a great idea because it doesn't allow for accidentals/chromatic scales

Also, recording without recording? I too am lost on that
Check out the Mixcraft subreddit
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

:D Yeah maybe that's it.

12 ways to do everything and someone always want to do it with method #13 I think......

Further description needed. Perhaps its a worthwhile enhancement suggestion to somehow improve the virtual keyboard.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

Mark Bliss wrote:C'mon Robert, he/she wants to record without recording. Is that so hard to understand? :lol:

Seriously, I cant make any sense of that either.
:lol: :lol:

RobertAllan
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

How about this:
screen grab of Mixcraft Piano Roll
screen grab of Mixcraft Piano Roll
Piano roll.jpg (526.62 KiB) Viewed 5353 times
As for being able to play the virtual instrument without recording, just click on the virtual instrument track that has the virtual instrument you want to play, and start playing. I do it all the time when composing.

All 88 keys on my controller work, and if you scroll in the Piano Roll view, they are all there on the left as well.

If you have any trouble figuring any of that out, just ask us here!
-Erik
mick

Post by mick »

Boradere asks: Please do that. also i'll like to be able to record all the keys without pressing the record button, that way i can get what i'm playing even if i'm not recording or something.
It sounds suspiciously like step recording!

Or maybe not step record but the Starship Krupa suggestion;
As for being able to play the virtual instrument without recording, just click on the virtual instrument track that has the virtual instrument you want to play, and start playing. I do it all the time when composing.
boradere

Post by boradere »

I want a true Recording that i would press when i want to record a specific part of me playing a virtual instrument. i also want me fooling around with the virtual instrument to be recorded somewhere else, that way i wouldnt play the GREATEST SONG MANKIND HAS EVER HEARD and then be unable to reproduce it because i did not press the recording button.

More keys for virtual instruments means that i can use more than just asdfghjkl;è + a few other ones to use a virtual instrument, all 1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm + SHIFT +1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

boradere wrote:I want a true Recording that i would press when i want to record a specific part of me playing a virtual instrument. i also want me fooling around with the virtual instrument to be recorded somewhere else, that way i wouldnt play the GREATEST SONG MANKIND HAS EVER HEARD and then be unable to reproduce it because i did not press the recording button.

More keys for virtual instruments means that i can use more than just asdfghjkl;è + a few other ones to use a virtual instrument, all 1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm + SHIFT +1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
Granted i could be wrong here i dont think theres any way to record two different ways at once..or record and its saved to different ways..But what i do quite often is just record myself messing around (an actual recording though) save it and then listen back to it later at some point to see if i was on to something. I mainly do that with my guitars though, but it can of course easily be done using virtual instruments. I.E Yesterday i was working on a song, tried to add some cool guitar layers but didnt really have many good ideas, so i armed a new track, soloed it (so the rest of the song was untouched) and just recorded myself jamming/messing around for bout 25 minutes,lol saved it and will listen back to it for ideas today or in a few days or something.

Ive never used my computerkeyboard with instruments, but i use my midi-keyboard, so dont really know much about how to get more keys..I would guess its through "prefferences" or something, but honestly no clue..

RobertAllan
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

1: Arm and record your "fooling around" to your hearts content.
Whenever you decide, you can "save-as" to a new project name, reopen the old project and delete the recording and.....
Seriously, there's got to be a hundred perfectly functional methods.

Maybe you want the DAW to automatically sense your just played something great and capture it or something......
Logic dictates, if you missed a great take by not recording it, you should change the way you work, not change the program you forgot to use!

2: Personally I don't see how anyone could do any serious recording using the virtual keyboard, but that's JMO.
I use it to audition sounds, or noodle around with an idea perhaps, when all I have handy is my laptop, but beyond that-

Hey, if it was holding me back, I think I would conclude I need a real keyboard or controller. You can get something VASTLY better than trying to use the virtual keyboard very inexpensively.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page