Line out from amp to computer ???

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

J Gretch

Line out from amp to computer ???

Post by J Gretch »

A quick question about the input jacks on my computers sound card.I want to lay down some voice tracks with our singer this weekend and all my goodies from m-audio arn't going to be here till sometime next week.

I was wondering if I can use the line out jack on a guitar amp and plug it into my computer as a temperary fix?..ie use the guitar amp as a makeshift pre-amp....And if so should I plug into the line in or the mic in?

I realize that the sound quality may not be the best but I was just wondering if this wuold even work.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You would go into the Line In input and I'm thinking it will work, as long as the amp is providing a line level output. If the output is labeled "Line Out," it should be fine.

Greg
J Gretch

Post by J Gretch »

The amp jack is indeed labled "Line Out" but I wasn't sure that it produced the same line level that computers need...I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Let us know how it goes.
J Gretch

Post by J Gretch »

Well the" line out from the guitar amp idea "didn't work as well as I had hoped.The signal coming from the line out on the amp doesn't seem to be strong enough.It's an early 80s model Deluxe Reverb so there could be a problem with the amp that I'm not aware of.

What I ended up doing was using my little bass amp that has a nice EQ and a front headphone jack.I went from the headphone jack to the line in jack on the computer and was able to adjust a pretty good sound.

We used a Drum loop out of the mx3 library,and layed down the guitar track using a RP-250 pedal (again coming out of the headphone jack),Then we layed down the bass track and vocal track with the method discribed above...I know it sounds like a lot of trouble but we had fun and the final mix didn't sound too bad.

Does anyone here use the line out from their amp straight into the computer? I'm beginning to think that I'm going to need a pre-amp to go along with the Delta 44 ?
EL34

Post by EL34 »

I use a stereo tube guitar preamp.
Then into the line in on the soundcard
Then processed with Guitar Rig 3.

Line outs on amps sound bad even if you do get a proper signal level. They are usually a el-cheapo simple taps off the speaker jack. They usually sound gritty and not like the sound you are used to hearing coming out of the speaker.

Effects sends on amps are preamp signals and work fine.
You don't get your power tube sound in the signal with an effects out signal or a tube preamp like I use.

I have a Palmer PGA-04 which is a high end device that can soak up the power signal from an amp, eq it many ways and it produces a great line level signal for recording. But that item is over $600 or so these days.

Some pedals can act as a preamp if you can turn the effects off and just use the buffer.
I had a TC electronics chorus/flange pedal that had a bypass. It would amplify the guitar signal enough to feed into a line on on the computer and it had a super clean sound cause it's a high quality pedal.

Still it's no where as nice as a good tube preamp sound, but will work just fine.
J Gretch

Post by J Gretch »

That is some serious equipment you got there EL34 I bet it sounds like a dream...I'm on a more modest budget and was considering something in the $100.00 to $200.00 range.

As a good friend of mine says "If I spend more than that it better come with a divorce lawyer" :lol:
dfarrell

Post by dfarrell »

I use a Line6 tone port. It can handle all yuor guitar input and microphone input needs, as well as giving you a lot of signal processing. I paid less than than $150.00 for it.