What are your go to vocals effects?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Gedcoz

What are your go to vocals effects?

Post by Gedcoz »

Hi Everyone, I wanted to know what are your go to vocals effects besides reverb,delay and EQ? Thanks ahead for the input.
omtayslick

Re: What are your go to vocals effects?

Post by omtayslick »

Compression
Tom
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

Tom said it succinctly, yes, compression is vitally important to my vocal processing.

In greater detail, I use two compressors on vocals to make them pop in the mix.

The first is directly on the vocal track, a dbx 165 clone set to 4:1 ratio, with the needle bouncing around 3 to 5 dB of gain reduction.

Get it here:

https://delamanchavst.wordpress.com/201 ... -now-free/

The "easy now" preset is a good start.

Then after that in the chain (I put it in the FX rack of my "Vocals" submix) is an LA-2A clone set so that its needle is bouncing around 3 dB of gain reduction. Fiddle with the Peak Reduction knob until you see about that amount of gain reduction on the meter.

Get a nice one here (the "Lost Angel"):

http://antress.blogspot.com/

May not sound like much reading it here, but dang, try it and see.

After you get that set up, notching out the "honk" frequency with a parametric will make your vocal tracks really jump out.

The paradox about processing vocals is that taking things away makes them sound louder in the mix. Compress them, cut obnoxious frequencies with a parametric, and boom.

After you get that down, add the "fruit salad," delay, reverb, chorus, etc.
-Erik
Gedcoz

Post by Gedcoz »

Thanks Krupa, I'll check both of those out today.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

The question states "effects" but I suppose you might intend to refer to a vocal processing chain type of question. Questions a bit wide.

I'd answer that it depends very much on the specific vocal performance, recording and project characteristics. But typically, (similar to Erik's answer I think)

I start with careful editing to clean up any unwanted noise, ranging from background, mouth noises, excessive breath noises, etc. Get any timing edits and compositing edits sorted out. And phrases that are in need of it get adjusted in level to roughly even things out.
Next I like to do a very detailed vocal fader ride to even things out further, instead of relying on a compressor for the job. I feel it gives cleaner end results. It may be unnecessary or overkill for some styles, especially styles where heavy vocal compression is going to be applied anyway. But this is just my workflow for my style.
Next any corrective EQ, such as strong cuts to unwanted freq's that shape the desired sound and/or make for a better fit in context of the music.
I usually consider compression after corrective EQ, and sometimes some further lighter EQ after compression, but again, it varies.
And the compression decisions would rely on the specific track and project. Some have a touch applied upon recording, so that would effect the decisions. But generally, I use a modest amount of softer or fairly transparent compression, and then decide if/what might be necessary to push the vocal forward. I don't care for harsh or extreme here personally, but I am not generally working in genre's where that would be used anyway.

Only after all that would I begin to consider "effects" in a mix, which would usually be the addition of space or a sense of a room, via reverb/delay processing, or chorusing/multiplying BV's, etc.

Is that what you meant to ask?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Gedcoz

Post by Gedcoz »

Krupa is there a way just to pick the Lost angel compressor? I see 2 download links.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Its been years since I checked those out, but as I recall you had to download the whole set.

Another option for an Opto style compressor if you are interested:
This week only-(Through 2/16/2017)
Download and register the free T-Racks custom shop and they throw in their Opto emulation. Also includes an EQ and a pretty nice metering plug as well. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=10092
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Gedcoz

Post by Gedcoz »

Cool thanks Mark :D
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

This is a saved chain I start with for every vocal sub.
Gedcoz

Post by Gedcoz »

As far as compressor's I'm currently using DTC-1 and the AC compressor.
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

Sure, Ged. Also, to get more advice you'll need to supply a style of music or an artist who is getting the kind of sound you want to get.

With me, you'll get something oriented toward indie rock, with Eric it will likely be metal (I have a taboo about using reverb as a track effect rather than as a send, so there's a way our advice will diverge). Not sure what style(s) Mark gets up to. Pop?

If you are a rapper or producer of rap, there's a whole 'nother style of vocal compression that goes on with that genre. One thing they have in common is that all want the vocal to sit at the "top" of the mix, that is to be the center of the listener's attention. Even the unintelligible murmurs of Cocteau Twins or My Bloody Valentine sit at the top, or the front.

Thanks for reminding me about the DTC-1. Since it calls itself a "VCA" compressor, it might be a good choice for the "dbx 165" ingredient in my vocal recipe. I tend to handle the G-Sonique plug-ins gingerly because they have zilch in the way of documentation. I have grown to love an emulation of the dbx 165, and it's a VCA-type compressor, but then so is the SSL Bus compressor. The DTC-1 calls itself a "bus and track compressor," which is pretty common in Kompressorland; they all blather on about how they can both smooooooooth out a submix and also make a track pop out of the speakers.

The "discrete VCA" button might be a clue; the dbx was known for having a VCA made of discrete components.
-Erik
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

Mark Bliss wrote:Another option for an Opto style compressor if you are interested:
This week only-(Through 2/16/2017)
Download and register the free T-Racks custom shop and they throw in their Opto emulation. Also includes an EQ and a pretty nice metering plug as well. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=10092
Thanks for the tip. I downloaded it and registered it and authroized it and all and then found that every single one of their
T-Racks plug-ins had been installed on my system without asking me, and of course most of them are in "demo" mode.

This is some sneaky wareshoveling. I will figure out how to make the ones I don't want (which is all of them; I don't feel disposed toward giving them money just now) disappear.
-Erik
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Its not really a gimmick IMO, well maybe a little promo push, but mostly its just that they are there for trial and quick auth if you choose. Kind of their version of a "shell" I guess. Waves actually works similarly, they just don't show up on Mixcraft's list.

Simply disable them in plug in management so they don't appear on your plug in list. They are miniscule files of little concern memory wise.
Starship Krupa wrote:Sure, Ged. Also, to get more advice you'll need to supply a style of music or an artist who is getting the kind of sound you want to get.
Yep. That always helps. 8)
Starship Krupa wrote: With me, you'll get something oriented toward indie rock, with Eric it will likely be metal (I have a taboo about using reverb as a track effect rather than as a send, so there's a way our advice will diverge). Not sure what style(s) Mark gets up to. Pop?
Not so much, but sometimes, yes.....
I'll work with about anything but Urban/hip-hop/Rap/EDM etc. Just cant do it, its not for me. And no "screamer" or whatever they call the modern "heavy" stuff. Just cant. I bail 30 sec in.
But don't get me wrong, I can still occasionally get into some well played shredder guitar when the mood strikes.

I guess I've moved well past middle age and have to admit my true preferences lie with more acoustic and organic music these days. My intense hatred for the current direction of popular rock and country has led me searching in all directions for something that strikes a nerve. Indie, oddball, Americana, Blue Grass, all works for me. 8)

I hate to knock any plug-ins Acoustica has put the effort into adding, but on the other hand, cant be dishonest.
I am not a fan of the G-Sonique stuff. I really wanted to like the new compressor, and would but for this one thing. But upon testing, found it has the same "flaw" as their other products.
Their interpretation of "analog warmth" is hiss. Its not obvious at first, but put a few instances on tracks, maybe a submix. Compress on the two bus and it eventually becomes quite obvious in quiet sections between sounds.

It doesn't seem to bother some people, and some even like it. It sounds like a cassette tape and it drives me nuts.
Yes I could use noise reduction or something to remove it, but I shouldn't have to. I have contacted them and they confirmed its intentional. I have requested they consider updating the plug ins and adding the option to turn it off. I probably got laughed at. :wink:

To test it your self, put it on a track, put on your headphones and turn your monitoring level up high. (don't forget to turn it back down when done!) and simply toggle it active and bypassed with no sound playing. Their other plug-ins do it too.
Its a deal breaker for me. I spent too many years recording to multi track tape and trying to minimize that hiss to turn around and add it to the quiet medium of the digital world. :evil:

To me its analogous to working in video, and instead of appreciating the deep black background that makes hi-def pop, adding snowy static to the picture to mimic standard def.
Uh, no! Thank you very much!

The new delay plug in is pretty cool though!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

Mark Bliss wrote: I hate to knock any plug-ins Acoustica has put the effort into adding, but on the other hand, cant be dishonest.
I am not a fan of the G-Sonique stuff. I really wanted to like the new compressor, and would but for this one thing. But upon testing, found it has the same "flaw" as their other products.
Their interpretation of "analog warmth" is hiss. Its not obvious at first, but put a few instances on tracks, maybe a submix. Compress on the two bus and it eventually becomes quite obvious in quiet sections between sounds.

It doesn't seem to bother some people, and some even like it. It sounds like a cassette tape and it drives me nuts.
Yes I could use noise reduction or something to remove it, but I shouldn't have to. I have contacted them and they confirmed its intentional. I have requested they consider updating the plug ins and adding the option to turn it off. I probably got laughed at. :wink:

To test it your self, put it on a track, put on your headphones and turn your monitoring level up high. (don't forget to turn it back down when done!) and simply toggle it active and bypassed with no sound playing. Their other plug-ins do it too.
Its a deal breaker for me. I spent too many years recording to multi track tape and trying to minimize that hiss to turn around and add it to the quiet medium of the digital world. :evil:

To me its analogous to working in video, and instead of appreciating the deep black background that makes hi-def pop, adding snowy static to the picture to mimic standard def.
Uh, no! Thank you very much!

The new delay plug in is pretty cool though!
This. All of it (but especially about the Psychedelic Delay!). Most of those hissy plug-ins have an "analog" button to turn off the white noise generator, don't they?

The fact that their effects are all 32-bit is a drag. It's kind of late in the game for a pro plug-in house to ship new products in only 32-bit VST2. I thought I read somewhere that it's because G-Sonique use a development environment that can only build 32-bit, but whatever the reason, it's time to get with the times.
-Erik
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Starship Krupa wrote: Most of those hissy plug-ins have an "analog" button to turn off the white noise generator, don't they?
Not many of theirs do. FAT+ is the only exception I can think of, where they included adjustable hiss. I use this plug some.
They explain that its presence can cover or mask distortion. Whatever, I turn it off.
Starship Krupa wrote: The fact that their effects are all 32-bit is a drag. It's kind of late in the game for a pro plug-in house to ship new products in only 32-bit VST2. I thought I read somewhere that it's because G-Sonique use a development environment that can only build 32-bit, but whatever the reason, it's time to get with the times.
I don't think the compressor is a new release. Maybe a couple of years old. And I think I read they released a 64 bit version of one of their plugs sometime last year. Maybe they are working on it, but I don't see much motivation to dev 64 bit versions of plugs that don't really strongly need to be 64 bit. At best, the pace of evolution is pretty slow though.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page