Komplete Kontrol S88 transport controls solution

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

drrags

Komplete Kontrol S88 transport controls solution

Post by drrags »

I've spent the last 2 days trying to figure out how to use the transport controls on my NI Komplete Kontrol S88 with Mixcraft. Going to Mix/MIDI Control Surface/Learn only seemed to record notes, which meant that when I played that note on the keyboard, it would trigger the transport controls. Not acceptable, obviously. Even forcing CC instead of notes was a fail, as nothing at all would happen, then.

In digging around, I discovered that the S series sends MCU, and that the MCU was sent via the virtual port labeled Komplete Control DAW - 1 (as is seen under Mixcraft Preferences/MIDI/All MIDI Devices).

The next step was to figure out what the hell MCU was. It turns out that means Mackie Control Universal. Huh... ok, cool. So I then went to Mixcraft Preferences/Control Surfaces and selected
(Type column) Mackie Control
(Input column) Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1
(Output column) your output device, such as your Fast Track Pro, or Roland Octacapture, or whatever.
Save and quit.
I now do not have anything defined in Mix/MIDI Control Surfaces/Control Surface Details.
The transport controls work perfectly now from the S88.

My apologies if this has been covered somewhere else, but I could not find anything. I've posted this in hopes I can save someone else hours or days of research.
Avinasa

Re: Komplete Kontrol S88 transport controls solution

Post by Avinasa »

Thank you! I had given up (probably too quickly) trying to make that work.
- Brian
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for posting this! Yes, there are all sorts of MIDI controllers that are Mackie compatible, so if your device falls in that category, you can select the Mackie Control option in Control Surface preferences. If a MIDI controller is not Mackie compatible, then there's always MIDI mapping.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Dorpond

Post by Dorpond »

Thanks for posting this. I just got the S88 yesterday and I have been busy trying to learn the in's and out's of the keyboard, as well as integration into MX8. Very helpful, thank you!
balarila

Post by balarila »

Thank you very much! Just got my S88 today. After installing all the software, your post helped me run this wonderful keyboard as it should on transport controls. I am now experiencing the joy you must have gone through some years back.
Northfield.Lenox

Post by Northfield.Lenox »

Well... Go figure that worked! Not sure I will be able to train myself to use the Komplete keyboard instead of the space bar, but nice to know I have an option. Thanks.