MC 8 - MIDI recording bug

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

MorpherX

MC 8 - MIDI recording bug

Post by MorpherX »

Hi,

I wanted to upgrade from MC7 to 8 and tested before MC 8 Demo regarding MIDI performance.

Some problems ocured:

1. It's not possible to record in an existing clip in the performance panel.
I tried with arming the slot and / or track and press main record button and got the message that I have to arm it even I have armed everything.

2. I tried pressing record on different tracks while main record is on. That is not possible.
But this is an important Live-Performance feature which is possible in many other DAWs.

3.(no bug) There is still no Media- and MIDI-Clip browser with previewing and load/save.
Even the good old Project 5 DAW from 2007 has this important feature.

As a result I don't upgrade until at least the first 2 points are solved.
Good devs it's now 2017 and already a version 8 of this software and still no MIDI-Clip browser. This is really unbelivable and a shame.
Acoustica Greg

Re: MC 8 - MIDI recording bug

Post by Acoustica Greg »

MorpherX wrote:1. It's not possible to record in an existing clip in the performance panel.
I tried with arming the slot and / or track and press main record button and got the message that I have to arm it even I have armed everything.
Is this what you're doing?
Record to performance panel.
Record to performance panel.
recordingtoperformancepanelmx8.jpg (82.56 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
2. I tried pressing record on different tracks while main record is on. That is not possible.
But this is an important Live-Performance feature which is possible in many other DAWs.
Thanks for the suggestion!
3.(no bug) There is still no Media- and MIDI-Clip browser with previewing and load/save.
Even the good old Project 5 DAW from 2007 has this important feature.
Do you mean like this?
File browser.
File browser.
tipbrowseyourcomputermx8.png (64.58 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
MorpherX

Post by MorpherX »

To 1.
What you show is recording a new clip.
What I wrote is recording in an existing MIDI-Clip in the performance pane. And this is not possible.

To 3.
This is the browser for audio files not MIDI-Clips (or -files).
I did NOT got it work with MIDI.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It isn't designed to record to an existing MIDI clip in the performance panel. That would be a new feature, not a bug.

You can certainly browse to MIDI clips and load them with the file browser. Have you tried it?

What you cannot do is preview the MIDI clip and this is because MIDI doesn't contain any audio. If we played the MIDI file, the results would be unpredictable.

Greg
MorpherX

Post by MorpherX »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

It isn't designed to record to an existing MIDI clip in the performance panel. That would be a new feature, not a bug.

You can certainly browse to MIDI clips and load them with the file browser. Have you tried it?

What you cannot do is preview the MIDI clip and this is because MIDI doesn't contain any audio. If we played the MIDI file, the results would be unpredictable.

Greg
Sorry, but you can't tell me that you implemented a recording feature where you can only record one time.
When I now want to record in a MIDI-Clip from the performance panel I have to drag to the arrange panel.
What a great nonsense and how complicated for a DAW which should be easy to use.
So could you add "Recording into an existing MIDI-Clip in performance panel" to a feature request list if this should really be a "new feature" ?

Previewing MIDI-Clips works with nearly every other DAW ( for example Cubase, Reaper or Sonar etc. )
It is defintely possible !
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What do you want the feature to do? Do you want to replace the existing clip or append to the existing clip? Appending to an existing clip would be something that Mixcraft has never done. That's probably not going to happen for a variety of reasons.

Greg
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

Maybe he means that, if he needs to re-record and overwrite - or Punch-in - a MIDI clip he has dragged and dropped into Performance Panel, he would like to be able to do it directly there, not have to record a new MIDI clip in the main window and then have to drag and drop it to replace the first one, as this could lead to having the new clip be out of sync?

Maybe not...
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yeah, there isn't an option to record over a clip in the Performance Panel. That would be a feature request. You could just record in a different grid square.

Greg