Transporting Plugin/VST Categories

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jddrock

Transporting Plugin/VST Categories

Post by jddrock »

Hi,
Does anyone know if it's possible to move saved VST/plugin categories to another computer to use with Mixcraft? I have a new laptop and have installed Mixcraft 7 Pro Studio but I would like to transport my saved category lists if at all possible.
Thanks!
Jeremy
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Re: Transporting Plugin/VST Categories

Post by Acoustica Eric »

The files for the categories are in this folder.
C:\Users\~your user name~\AppData\Roaming\Acoustica\Mixcraft\collections

I would imagine copying those would work, just make sure you have all the same plugins installed on both machines.
BillW

Post by BillW »

I've made the suggestion before. It would be helpful to have a single place to go for all the things to consider when moving to a new computer. Maybe include best practices on vst organization, presets, sound files, projects, mixdowns, etc.

I lost a bunch of presets somehow (I actually don't remember the specifics) when I set up a new machine. Also a couple projects couldn't find certain sfz files. That was clearly my fault somehow, but the fact I'd I had no clue what to look for or where.

Just like your situation. The answer is easy enough but it would be nice to have a pdf of things to keep in m8nd.

If I felt confident that I knew enough, I'd do it myself as a way of giving back to the forum (like I did a midi map of one of the EZD drum sets when I realized their supplied map didn't exactly match the new set) . If I get time over the summer I may give it a shot.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
jddrock

Post by jddrock »

Thanks guys! Will do!
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Adding the categories to a project move, or some type of automatic packing up of needed files, would not work in very many cases. Because, it's very rare that two computers would ever have the exact same plugins, versions, and types.
So basically your categories would end up looking different, missing entries, etc.