ADD EFFECTS AT DIFFERENT TRACK POINTS?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jdr4170

ADD EFFECTS AT DIFFERENT TRACK POINTS?

Post by jdr4170 »

I'm new. Be kind. How do I add effects(delay) to different track points. Thank everyone for your help.
aj113

Re: ADD EFFECTS AT DIFFERENT TRACK POINTS?

Post by aj113 »

There is more than one way of doing it, but anything that uses automation is not good, because the automation does not time the effect precisely enough. Also, because it is not immediately obvious, you are never sure exactly which effect is playing at any point in the project.

1. Duplicate the track for each separate effect
2. Put a separate effect on each of the tracks
3. Chop up the clip and delete all the unwanted parts so that it plays only the track with the effects that you want at any given point during the track.
4. Put the multiple tracks in a sub group and use the subgroup's fader to adjust the level.

This method has the nice bonus that you can see instantly eaxactly what effect is being used throughout the track.
Ajgi

Post by Ajgi »

aj113 wrote:anything that uses automation is not good
I strongly disagree. Automation is the most convenient way, however this does depend on the kind of music and the type of effect.
I've never had any issues with it timing the effect and i don't see how it can happen, since all it's doing it automatically changing the parameters of an effect, in this case usually the Wet/Dry Mix or a Bypass toggle.
Ajgi.net
SoundCloud
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 Studio Monitors, Sennheiser HD280pro, Shure SM57,
Hobbs

Post by Hobbs »

aj113 wrote:There is more than one way of doing it, but anything that uses automation is not good, because the automation does not time the effect precisely enough. Also, because it is not immediately obvious, you are never sure exactly which effect is playing at any point in the project.

1. Duplicate the track for each separate effect
2. Put a separate effect on each of the tracks
3. Chop up the clip and delete all the unwanted parts so that it plays only the track with the effects that you want at any given point during the track.
4. Put the multiple tracks in a sub group and use the subgroup's fader to adjust the level.

This method has the nice bonus that you can see instantly eaxactly what effect is being used throughout the track.
There's certainly more than one way to skin a cat, and this would undoubtedly work. But wow that is a very inefficient workflow. Automation is here for this very reason.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Not sure what you mean by 'inefficient workflow' in this context but I can assure you I don't do it to make life more difficult for myself.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

I don't know if this is efficient of not but you could just copy the portion you want to have the effect and paste it directly into a new track with the FX.

Sometimes it's best to see what is happening because we all forget how we do things sometimes. -h
aj113

Post by aj113 »

AHornsby wrote:I don't know if this is efficient of not but you could just copy the portion you want to have the effect and paste it directly into a new track with the FX.

Sometimes it's best to see what is happening because we all forget how we do things sometimes. -h
Well it's different wording, I'll grant you that, but otherwise it's exactly the method I posted.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

aj113 wrote:
AHornsby wrote:I don't know if this is efficient of not but you could just copy the portion you want to have the effect and paste it directly into a new track with the FX.

Well it's different wording, I'll grant you that, but otherwise it's exactly the method I posted.
My mistake. I meant 'portion of a track' and not the entire track. -h
aj113

Post by aj113 »

AHornsby wrote:...My mistake. I meant 'portion of a track' and not the entire track. -h
So did I.