Can Mixcraft 8 take mixed Audio drum tracks-convert to midi parts

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dathyr1

Can Mixcraft 8 take mixed Audio drum tracks-convert to midi parts

Post by dathyr1 »

I just happened to view at some videos and some features that take a Mixed Drum Audio file and by setting thresholds,etc can selectively pull out and detect/copy the individual drum parts to put into separate midi tracks for use with a drummer program. Some call it Audio Snap or Drum Reducer.

I looked through Mixcraft pro 8 vast features and I dont readily see that special function that might do this?

It just sounds cool to take some favorite mixed audio drum groove tracks and create them into midi to use or better to modify. Might Save time in creating the midi track from scratch. Not sure how accurate they are.

Again just curious what Mixcraft can do.

take care,

Dave
Acoustica Greg

Re: Can Mixcraft 8 take mixed Audio drum tracks-convert to midi parts

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

No, Mixcraft doesn't have a feature like that. Converting a drum recording to separate MIDI parts sounds like a tall order. It would be pretty nifty if any software could do it accurately.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Thank you Greg for your quick reply. Really enjoy Mixcraft Pro 8.

take care,

Dave
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

No software is perfect at it but the best I found is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkFq7J_LZaI&t=615s
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

For covers and for reference I use Guitar Pro. I'll convert and download whichever/all tracks to midi and use in MC. Great for drum tracks, not always great accuracy but usually good enough to work with.

M
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Rolling Estonian wrote:For covers and for reference I use Guitar Pro. I'll convert and download whichever/all tracks to midi and use in MC. Great for drum tracks, not always great accuracy but usually good enough to work with.

M
I use Guitar Pro also. I download songs I have never heard before and check out the drum track and if there is a section I like I chop it up and make 2 or 4 measure midi drum loops out of them. I already have a folder of hundreds of them including fills, endings, intros etc.
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

You can do it manually in Mixcraft.

I used to do this in a program called Acid. Acid had in-line midi editing, which means you could edit the midi notes on the track itself.

You could open up the audio drum loop in a track, expand it length ways and height so you can see a giant wave form, then open a virtual instrument track beneath it and insert a same length (as the audio file) instrument clip.

Then you can just draw the midi notes in to correspond with the wave file spikes for each drum part that is in the above audio file. Using headphones was best, you can also hear when they line up. a bit of fiddling but then you would have the midi drums playing exactly the same as the audio file. Then you have an audio loop converted to a midi loop.

Mixcraft does not have in line midi editing, but it does show where the midi notes are in the instrument clip. If you expand it out it does provide enough definition to copy the wave forms of an audio file. You just need to have the midi clip in the piano roll and enter the notes into the piano roll, then move them around to line up with the wave forms. Just tried it with a loop and got all the parts easy.
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

MC 8 Pro Studio comes with Melodyne Essential.

Go to YouTube and search for Melodyne and drums. :wink: