Brass VSTs

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Brother Charles

Re: Brass VSTs

Post by Brother Charles »

Hands down, without contest, THE BEST solo sax VIs are the samplemodelling & SWAM offerings.

Chris Hein Horns Pro are exceptional, but the Compact is a really nice, great-sounding, size manageable, and usable horn library. As a matter of fact, I tend to reach for compact *before the full Pro libraries because of the faster loading times and smaller size.

You might want to take a look at Impact Soundworks “Straight Ahead Jazz Horns” too. They’re also really good. ($200, I think).

Lastly, for totally unrivalled old skool “Earth, Wind & Fire” vibe, you simply cannot find better than “Vintage Horns” by Funk/Soul Productions. (BigFishAudio). It’s also about $200.
Last edited by Brother Charles on Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

BillW wrote:I saw some youtube video on Chris Hein Brass Compact and it looks like it has what I'm looking for.
? You said sax was a must and I don't see that listed for this package...understandable, since sax and flute are woodwind instruments.

IMO the Garritan is the easy choice in your price range. Has all the instrumentation you want and then some. I have used, albeit briefly, and sounded very good IMO. You're not likely to improve on that w/o spending a ton more on a VSTi (and even then it's debatable) or getting actual live performances.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

I agree. The controls in the ARIA Player that the Garritan libraries run in can easily make up for any sonic deficits encountered in their libraries and they have become my favourite by far. I understand that ChiBear has very specific, complex use requirements, but most people do not need to locate their instruments on a virtual sound stage, but rather want to get a point across sonically, whether with complex or more simplified music and don't want to to lumber through either the Full (very expensive) or Free versions of Kontact trying to figure out where the effects are buried when the Free Aria Player is light on CPU, very easy to understand and to see up to 16 layers of instruments within an ensemble and also loads old .SF2 files by converting them to .aria files, a lifesaver for my 1990s AWE32 stuff (an important functional component of it anyway, in a sea of complication).
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6