Increased RAM from 4gb to 8gb but...

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

James Klutho

Re: Increased RAM from 4gb to 8gb but...

Post by James Klutho »

Does Mixcraft make full use of multi-core processing?

Only Acoustica can answer this but usually the Audio Engine needs to be on a single core due to timing considerations. So a 4 core i7 and 4Ghz with give better performance than a slower 16 core Xeon due to the audio engine being on a single core and is the bottleneck.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

James Klutho wrote:Does Mixcraft make full use of multi-core processing?

Only Acoustica can answer this but usually the Audio Engine needs to be on a single core due to timing considerations. So a 4 core i7 and 4Ghz with give better performance than a slower 16 core Xeon due to the audio engine being on a single core and is the bottleneck.
Hi,

Mixcraft does take full advantage of multi-core processing. The tracks are divvied up into separate processing threads.

UNLESS... you select "Force Single CPU" in Sound Device preferences. On some slower dual core computers, selecting Force Single CPU can help, because the computer is too slow in juggling the multiple processing threads.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
BillW

Post by BillW »

OK - thanks Greg.

Good to know that when I can justify the cost of a new computer, it's worth going with the i5 (quad core) vs the i3 (dual core) for performance.

But what you said about "slower dual core" processors fits me exactly with my Celeron dual core. I think I'll try your "force single CPU" to see if that helps or hurts.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

BillW wrote:OK - thanks Greg.

Good to know that when I can justify the cost of a new computer, it's worth going with the i5 (quad core) vs the i3 (dual core) for performance.

But what you said about "slower dual core" processors fits me exactly with my Celeron dual core. I think I'll try your "force single CPU" to see if that helps or hurts.
Hi,

Yes, just remember to switch it back off if you end up with worse performance. :wink:

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
BillW

Post by BillW »

Yes - that did in fact give worse performance. I switched it back.

So as I said, I can live with this until I can afford a new machine. It's not a big deal to freeze tracks on occasion - and for mixing I believe it's a good practice to convert the finished recorded to audio anyway.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.