Switching Instruments in a Live setting

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

a.rogers6437

Switching Instruments in a Live setting

Post by a.rogers6437 »

I'm playing keys in a band and using Mixcraft with keyboard controllers. I have the different patches all on separate tracks. I need to be able to switch voices quickly within a song, and have found a way to do it, but it's not very smooth. One of my controllers has some pads for drum samples, so I've routed each to arm a track for recording. It works for activating the track I want to play with, but I have to disarm the track I was using previously. For example, when I'm playing with a piano voice, if I want to switch to strings, I have to hit both pads at the same time to disarm the piano track and arm the strings track simultaneously.

Any ideas on how I could set it to one trigger to use these tracks like patches? More like a guitarist would with a pedalboard?
Ajgi

Re: Switching Instruments in a Live setting

Post by Ajgi »

With virtual instruments you don't actually have to arm them, only select the track. You can do this easily with the arrow keys to go up and down. If you could find some way to bind a pedal as the arrow keys, that could work, however that would only cycle through them.
Ajgi.net
SoundCloud
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 Studio Monitors, Sennheiser HD280pro, Shure SM57,
Acoustica Greg

Re: Switching Instruments in a Live setting

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Click on the Mix menu, select MIDI Control Surface, and then select User Interface. On that screen, you can click MIDI Learn and map the "Select Previous Track" and "Select Next Track" options. That would allow you to switch to a different virtual instrument on a different track.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101