Sound tab timeline

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

SteveW

Sound tab timeline

Post by SteveW »

I dragged a 4-bar 140bpm loop onto a new audio track and opened it in the sound tab.
Loop Test.png
Loop Test.png (169.52 KiB) Viewed 4140 times
The sound tab timeline doesn't match the actual length of the loop. There's nothing special about the loop, there's no time stretching going on and the project tempo matches the loop. Clicking in the track moves the editor cursor in the sound tab to the correct places it's just the timeline that seems to be out of wack.

Could this be using the mysterious 'mils' instead of bars/beats? :wink:
Mark Bliss

Re: Sound tab timeline

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hi Steve,

I tried to duplicate, but that loop doesn't appear to be from the Mixcraft library.
I haven't seen this behavior, but its been a while since I used loops much.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Hi

Yes it only seems to be a problem with certain loops. The loop I used originally was from a commercial loop set. Here's another example using a loop from freesound.org
Loop Test 4.png
Loop Test 4.png (40.3 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
The loop is 'Drum Loop 1' by 'TomoNiwa'. Again the sound tab timeline and the main timeline don't match.
Loop Test 3.png
Loop Test 3.png (219.85 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Those are pretty severe, but I have previously found that a lot of loop data is erroneous.
I am fairly certain that is what you are discovering, not a Mixcraft error.

Many times I found loops that stated something like "120 BPM" that were really for example 121. Or 120.9, or 119.5 etc.
Sometimes I tweaked a fix, but mostly kept looking. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Well, I set the tempo manually so I don't think it's relying on any embedded metadata and even if it was I would still expect the main timeline and soundtab to agree even if the tempo is incorrect. Odd thing is, clicking on the main timeline will move the edit cursor to the correct positions in the sound tab waveform, it's just the scaling on the sound tab timeline bar that's wrong.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yeah, I am at a bit of a loss on this myself. Trying to manipulate the loop to attempt to reproduce.

Even if I purposely mess up a loop's original tempo, at least the timeline/cursor still matches for me.
Cant reproduce yet. Something is eluding me here......... Maybe not thinking clearly yet this fine AM. 8)

What Mixcraft build are you on?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

I have a freesound account. If you want, i can contact TOMONIWA and ask how he produced it.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Mark Bliss wrote:Yeah, I am at a bit of a loss on this myself. Trying to manipulate the loop to attempt to reproduce.

Even if I purposely mess up a loop's original tempo, at least the timeline/cursor still matches for me.
Cant reproduce yet. Something is eluding me here......... Maybe not thinking clearly yet this fine AM. 8)

What Mixcraft build are you on?
OK, I've just tried again with the TomoNiwa loop in a fresh project. If I leave the tempo at the default 120 and drag the loop onto a new audio track both timelines match. If I then change the project tempo to 82 to match the loop the timelines come adrift - the main timeline adjusts to fit the loop but the sound tab remains at it's original setting. So maybe it's the tempo change that's not being reflected in the sound tab.

Edit: OK, I think this is more about my lack of understanding of the sound tab rather than an issue with Mixcraft. If I click 'Use Project Tempo' and enter 82 the timelines match so maybe that's how it's supposed to work. I think the loop has no embedded tempo information so Mixcraft probably just applies the project tempo when the loop was imported and expects the user to adjust the loop info as necessary if it changes.