sound of midi files from EZDrummer 2

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Doug6String

sound of midi files from EZDrummer 2

Post by Doug6String »

Hi - I've been using Mixcraft since v6 and am now using 8 - great job - I love it! I recently bought EZDrummer 2 and asked them this same question. When I incorporate a midi file from EZDrummer, whether by drag and drop (I'm using Windows 10) or exporting the midi as a midi from EZDrummer and adding it in Mixcraft with the Add File feature, the drums don't sound the same in Mixcraft as in EZDrummer (I am using the sametempo in both). When I have the midi file in Mixcraft, I click on the keyboard and select VSTI and then EZDrummer. I have workarounds, which are to basically export EZDrummer files as wav and use those in Mixcraft, but that takes up a lot more space, obviously. Any ideas on how to get the sound of the drums the same in Mixcraft as they are in EZDrummer? Thanks. Doug
Mark Bliss

Re: sound of midi files from EZDrummer 2

Post by Mark Bliss »

I have used EZDrummer quite a bit and never had anything like this occur.

Are you using EZD as the stand alone version maybe?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Doug6String

Post by Doug6String »

Yes. I have EZD open and work on some drum parts and I have MIxcraft open and drag or import the midi files into it. Are you implying you use EZD as a plugin? Maybe that would solve this issue. I did look at how to do that, but I don't Quite get that. Can you help? I appreciate the effort!
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Open an instrument track and select EZD2 from the instrument list, voila.

I was also going to add that you may have had a different kit and/or settings in the different places you were working from.

EZD2 in MC is an awesome combo!

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Doug6String wrote:Yes. I have EZD open and work on some drum parts and I have MIxcraft open and drag or import the midi files into it. Are you implying you use EZD as a plugin? Maybe that would solve this issue. I did look at how to do that, but I don't Quite get that. Can you help? I appreciate the effort!
Well when I pondered your description, I had to ask myself what you must be doing differently than me, because I have never had this issue. And yeah, the one thing I could think of is stand alone mode, as I have never once even opened EZD in stand alone.

But that doesn't fully explain it. I am guessing there is something being processed differently along the way. Still too little known.

But yes, primarily I either use EZD as an plug in instrument and write drum MIDI via the Mixcraft piano roll, or if I choose to use the MIDI from the EZD library as a starting point, I drag it into Mixcraft's track view.

EZD's arranger lane has some neat functions, but one thing I always found, is it lacks space to work. I have old eyes. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Doug6String

Post by Doug6String »

Thanks Mark and M - I did get this fixed. It seems that if I make the MC track an EZD2 track before adding the ED2file, the drum sound matches in each app. I had been adding the file and then selecting VSTI/EZD. Not very logical (to me) but the order seems to matter with how I have things setup. Again, thanks! Doug
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

I started with EZ Drummer then EZD2 and now Superior Drummer... My question is.. Why don't you use it as a plugin? :mrgreen:

Cheers
Pierre
Doug6String

Post by Doug6String »

Hi Pierre - I guess I don't quite get how to effectively use EZD as a plugin. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can go in Mixcraft and select VSTI and EZD and then select "Edit" which brings EZD up as a plugin (I think). But if I'm working on a song in EZD as a stand alone program, with it open, when I do what I just said, none of the midi parts I am using show up. I have 2 EZD screens in this case - the stand alone one I am working in and the plugin which doesn't have my song parts. Obviously I'm missing something and it seems like everyone is using it as a plug in and likes that approach. I'm running Windows 10 and 64 bit for Mixcraft and EZD2. If you're willing to expand on what you do, I'd appreciate that and will give it a shot. Also, I didn't go with superior drummer because it seemed like I'd be spending more time "tweaking" every sound possibility than doing music. I've been a guitar player for nearly 50 years so it's clear where my skills are (not drums!). Are you a drummer, which is why you like Superior Drummer? Thanks for following the forum and helping newbies!
Rolling Estonian

Doug6String wrote:but I can go in Mixcraft and select VSTI and EZD and then select "Edit" which brings EZD up as a plugin (I think).

I've been a guitar player for nearly 50 years so it's clear where my skills are (not drums!).
You've got it with opening EZD2 as a plugin, that's the easiest way for me in terms of my workflow. I'm a non drumming guitarist too and absolutely LOVE EZD2! It's taught me a ton, not only about drums, but mixing as well. I'm just a hobbyist so I learned some time ago to take my time and have fun with it, it's my hobby, not what I do for a living. I've also learned not to force it, it'll come, it just takes time.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hi Doug,

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Are you trying to move an existing MIDI track from the stand alone version of EZD into Mixcraft, or are you asking how we use EZD as a plug in?

It also might help to know a little about how you are, or wish to create drum tracks.
Some people record them while playing them in via a MIDI device. Others program them in via the piano roll, and some use the MIDI from either the EZD libraries, or third party libraries.

Like I wrote in my previous reply, I have never used the stand alone version. Just now I opened it just to have a look. It looks the same. The difference as I see it is a lack of a default link to the DAW.
There are probably ways to route MIDI to and from Mixcraft, probably requiring a MIDI interface, I honestly don't know.

I use the virtual instrument plug in method. Sometimes I use the MIDI from libraries. Sometimes I use that as a starting point and re-arrange, re-write etc. Often I write from scratch.

A little more input from you would help me know which to narrow in on for more detailed assistance.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Doug6String wrote:Hi Pierre - I guess I don't quite get how to effectively use EZD as a plugin. If you're willing to expand on what you do, I'd appreciate that and will give it a shot. Also, I didn't go with superior drummer because it seemed like I'd be spending more time "tweaking" every sound possibility than doing music. I've been a guitar player for nearly 50 years so it's clear where my skills are (not drums!). Are you a drummer, which is why you like Superior Drummer? Thanks for following the forum and helping newbies!
Hi Doug...
I'll grab a project that I did with EZD2 and see what I did.. I'm a keyboard player. You are right about Superior Drummer. They had an awesome deal going at Christmas time that I couldn't turn down. So some day i will fire it up and do some "tweaking"

Cheers
Pierre
Doug6String

Post by Doug6String »

Thanks Pierre!

M – you and I sound the same! And EZD2 is amazing. I’m sorry I didn’t go this route years ago. I have been using Dr. Rhythm for a long time.

Mark – thanks for the follow up. I don’t have any issues to solve, thanks to the forum. But, it sounds like you and others use EZD2 as a plugin and I want to be sure I’m not missing something useful. So here’s what I am doing and how, and if I am getting everything out of EZD2 you are, great and sorry to take up your time!

I open EZD2 as a stand alone program and find some midis I like that match song ideas I am working on. I open Mixcraft, select VSTI and EZD for a track and I drag and drop the midis from EZD2 into the Mixcraft track (I use Windows 10, 64 bit for everything). This works fine – actually great. I do it this way because I can arrange the drum parts easier in Mixcraft than EZD2 (I think you said you did that too due to “old eyes”). I basically drag a bunch of EZD2 midis into the Mixcraft track so I have fills, intro, chorus, etc., and as the song develops, I can expand some parts, rearrange parts, etc. If I add some guitar and bass, and the drums don’t quite cut through like I want, I open EZD2 as a plugin and change the kit. That’s the only time I use it as a plugin.

I can’t think of anything I want to do (for now – I’ve only had EZD2 about a week) that I can’t, but I was thinking maybe you with much more experience are doing amazing things I haven’t thought of yet. I don’t need to change how I do this if I’m getting all the functionality I need so a perfectly fine reply from you would be “sounds like you got it – enjoy.”

That’s it – thanks!
Rolling Estonian

There's no right or wrong way to do anything when it comes to YOUR projects and workflow. I always appreciate suggestions and will certainly try them out but I'm not going to change the way I do things just because someone does things differently or thinks the way I do things is wrong, as my daughter says, "You do you."

M
BillW

Post by BillW »

Ezd is very flexible. I don't record enough to have a set way of doing things with it. I've alternately

-used their loops and tweaked some all within the ezd timeline

-Recorded 'snippets' myself using drum pads and dragged to the mixcraft timeline

-Recorded my own "snippets" using ezd standalone, then saved in the library and then gone into mixcraft to put them in the timeline

-Used it as a midi device in the piano roll editor

That last method is where I'm going next. I have a book of transcribed scores for the band Chicago. It includes drums. I've done quick research on drum notation using a standard 5 line staff. Listening to the song I'm doing slowed down tells me the drum score is pretty accurate and so I'll enter it in the piano roll.

It's not a small thing either that ezd humanizes the drum hits by default so the hits aren't always the same. No "machine gun" effect.

It's a great product for the money.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Doug6String

Post by Doug6String »

Thanks Bill! I am amazed with EZD, too. You clearly have more experience and are doing more than I am, so far. I'll be scanning the forum and YouTube for tips. Thanks for the reply.