Audio & MIDI templates: Vangelis "direct" method with Mixcraft?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

creativeforge

Audio & MIDI templates: Vangelis "direct" method with Mixcraft?

Post by creativeforge »

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how I could setup my workspace to have my hardware synths (Korg Trinity, Roland D50, and future Roland JV or XV module) to be connected to my DAW, at the same time as software synths and samplers. I may want to layer a few of them, but still mostly record each track as MIDI, no matter if it's connected to a hardware module (still with me?)

This is part of my attempt to streamline and quicken my workflow. I come from the hardware generation, and plunged into the virtual instruments a few years ago, but trying to recover a proper workflow, I've been held back tremendously for 3 months by the need to "configure" everything including audio and MIDI input and outputs, and sound patches from various soft synths and samplers (Kontakt). After hours, and hundreds of mouse to screen gestures to navigate, pick sounds, setup channels, etc. I get tired and unmotivated.

Lately, I realized I could possibly create some templates that would set everything up for me so I could just start playing and recording. Have my favorite piano, strings ensembles, some orchestral percussion, a couple different choirs triggered by velocity, etc. Anyone is using such a method? The closest I found to this is Vangelis' setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zzkalHmY10

I realize he's using RADAR, but could something like this be possible and achievable with Mixcraft? My brain can't visualize it yet, so I'm asking this community for help.

Thanks in advance!
Ian Craig

Re: Audio & MIDI templates: Vangelis "direct" method with Mixcraft?

Post by Ian Craig »

I've tried constructing setup templates to use both external equipment with VSTis in Mixcraft since version 6 in 2015. Unfortunately, due to the way Windows loads the USB devices in an almost random order I have come to the conclusion that there are only two basic routes to take with this, in order to get it to work.
1. Either use MIDI entirely for the external devices or
2. Get a reliable, sequentially loading external routing device whether MIDI or MIDI/USB.
Otherwise, using USB and MIDI, only the MIDI device is loaded consistently as the USB devices are usually not loaded in the same order each time and they disappear leaving the external device's sounds played by basic software instruments.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6