setting up VSTs with multiple outputs- and editing drum parts

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dathyr1

setting up VSTs with multiple outputs- and editing drum parts

Post by dathyr1 »

Hello,

Have just a couple of questions on the topics mentioned. I have seen both of these done in 1 or 2 different DAW videos and wondering if Mixcraft 8 can do these or maybe add to a future Mixcraft.

Multi VST midi channel Auto Setup:
Single VSTs with built in multiple instrument output channels - Does Mixcraft 8 have capability to setup automatically all the Midi channels lanes needed for that multi channel VST? I know it can be done manually.
This is kind of an auto midi channel lanes with one click of a button.

Midi Editing:
Midi drum track that has all the drum parts combined in a single midi track. Example: Say one key note(which is a open hi hat) I made a mistake and want to shift that whole key note part to a play a closed Hi Hat.

Can I select and shift that whole key note/drum part up or down to a desired new key note?
Looking at the midi editing tutorial videos, I dont see that being done right now.

Again just curious questions and thank you for your answers.

take care,

Dave
chibear

Re: setting up VSTs with multiple outputs- and editing drum parts

Post by chibear »

For the multichannel instruments, Mixcraft doesn't have that. It would be a great trick, though. Problem would be all the variables that would need to be addressed. Mixcraft would have to be able to read the dfferent ways multis are treated by the different developers and what if I would want to start incrementing my multi on channel 12 for instance?

As for you second question on MIDI editing, I might be reading it wrong in my pre-coffee state, but you can simply drag a note anywhere you want.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Hi Chibear,

On the Midi editing, yes I know you can move single notes around.

What I have seen in another DAW is they selected on all the notes just for a Hi Hat in that track and moved or dragged that whole row of notes for the track up or down to a new selected drum sound. I dont think I could do this. Hope i am explaining this correctly.

Kind of a convient/fast way to take an already setup pattern of notes and try it on different drum sounds. I have allot of merged midi drums patterns which maybe i dont like a particular drum sound that was used.

On the Multi VST question-I saw in one other DAW when someone was setting up a Drum set and he did one click in the menus and it created all the drum tracks for it. i can also do this manually, another kind of convient/fast method.

thank you for your reply,

Dave
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

You can select groups of notes in the piano roll by drawing a "lasso" around them. Probably the easiest way to do what you want.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Hi Mark,

Great, i will give that a try today.

thanks,

Dave
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Mark or anyone,

Not sure how to do the lasso method when in the piano roll screen. I see the select arrow, the write pencil, and the erraser. When I try to select a group of notes with the select arrow and try to move all of them up or down, they dont move.

So not sure how to do that method. Dont readily see something called Lasso in the editor.

take care,

Dave
mick

Post by mick »

Also... Double click the drum name on the piano key and the notes will change colour indicating they are in an editable state so you can now move the entire row or copy and drag to another row or change the duration. Pic shows example of where I copied entire row of tambourine to high tom
drum.PNG
drum.PNG (60.26 KiB) Viewed 6081 times
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Micks method is the second I was going to suggest, but I had too little time. :wink:

To select notes, use the arrow/selection tool and click/drag a lasso/box around the desired notes.
This is also useful when you only want to select a block of notes instead of an entire line.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

mick and Mark,

So Mixcraft can move entire drum parts around by selecting the drum key. Cool

Ill try both methods to get used to them.

thanks guys,

Dave
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

To Mark,

May I ask one last question on your last comment on your method.

Before I posted my last comment, I did what you said using the arrow select and then I got a light blue box around several selected notes on the piano view and I released the mouse. But then what do I do next to move that group of notes. I tried clicking again and holding down on the blue box of selected notes with the mouse and moving it, but they would not move.

Probably something simple I am not doing to finish moving the notes.

As you can see I havent done much in midi editing in the piano view. <hehe>

take care,

Dave
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Mark,

I watched the University video on midi editing in piano view.

I see what I was doing wrong with your method. After selecting the group of notes, i need to click and hold on any of the notes in that group and then move them, not the blue highlight box itself.

Knew it was something simple, ignore my last question to you.

Dave