Mixcraft Midi Routing for Arpeggiator vst

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

RobAsticles

Mixcraft Midi Routing for Arpeggiator vst

Post by RobAsticles »

When i insert the arpeggiator vst (eg. apr4midi) in the first slot and an instrument in the 2nd, it only works if i start to record the track or when i press play. Otherwise nothing happens.

The main problem is however, whenever i strike i play an new cord, the chord notes are played once (not ok!) and the arp'ed notes are played as long as i hold the keys pressed (which is ok!).

Is there a way to suppress the original midi informations, so that only the processed midi infos from the arp vst are sent to the instrument in slot 2?

Thanks for any info
Acoustica Greg

Re: Mixcraft Midi Routing for Arpeggiator vst

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I'm not sure why Arp4MIDI works that way. You do have to be recording to hear its effect. Other arps do allow you to hear the effect without recording, like Chthulhu (it has a setting for this).

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
RobAsticles

Post by RobAsticles »

Thanks for the quick answer Greg. Unfortunately this doesn't solve the problem, that the original keystrokes are always sent to the vst instrument too. This can be easily checked with a midimonitor vst.

is there a way, that only information/notes from the midi vst (e.g arpeggiator) are sent to the following instruments in the line?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Have you tried a different arp plugin? If Arp4MIDI passes the notes along unchanged, that's the way it works, unless there's a setting you can change in that plugin.

Greg
RobAsticles

Post by RobAsticles »

Hello Greg,
it has nothing to do with arp4midi. I also tried other plugins and even the demo of Chthulhu. It is in the way the routing works. If I set several intruments in line, every instrument gets the midi information from my contoller. if I insert a midi-exporting plugin first, it gets the contoller notes AND the processed midi Infos.

maybe it is therefore more a feature request...

It would be perfect, if I could select for every instrument vst, if it is off, if the midi input comes from the controller or the plugin above.
RobAsticles

Post by RobAsticles »

I think i found the problem.

Whenever a midi-vst sends a note message, it suppresses the original note information sent from the controller.

However, when there is no midi output from the midi-plugin, then the plugin is "bypassed" an the original note-information from the controller is sent to the next plugin.

This can be easily monitored with 2 plugins: MidiPolysher (x64) and MidiMonitor (x64). if you try to exclude an keyboard area and transpose by 2 semitones (i know it can better be done in mixcraft, but it is only for demonstration purpose) the next instrument will play the notes unchanged in the area, where the notes should be suppressed by MidiPolysher. In the area, where the keys are accepted by MidiPolysher, the notes are transposed as expected (and the original notes played on the controller are suppressed).

Therefore i guess, there is a (little) bug in the internal midi routing in mixcraft.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I see. You didn't mention that you were excluding part of the keyboard and transposing the notes.

What steps would I take to duplicate this? What are you doing when you are excluding part of the keyboard? Which part of the keyboard are you transposing?

Greg
RobAsticles

Post by RobAsticles »

Hello Greg,

as i said before, it has nothing to do with specific plugins, its in the way, midi information from plugins are processed and send to the next vst in the line.
It is quite easy to repoduce by using the following plugins:
"midi polisher" http://www.eareckon.com/free/MIDIPolysher_1_2_0.zip

simply select an area, where midi keys should be recognized and select transpose to transposie the notes e.g. for one 3 semitones.
Now press a key in the selected area and you will hear - as expected - the pressed note but 3 semitones transposed.
Now press a key in the excluded area and you will *also* here the selected note (which you shouldn't) and the note ist NOT transposed. This means, that, if the midi-vst doesn't send midi information, then the next vst in line gets full midi information from the input source (e.g. the midi controller).

This behavior is of course necessary, if you have 2 instrument vsts, because they normally don't send any midi information (midi-thru), so that the next instrument wouldn't get any midi information.

Mixcraft either needs a routine to check, if the vst can/will send midi info
or (better solution) there is a way to choose, if the vst instrument gets midi information from the source, the instument above oder not at all . There is already a button to switch the instrument on/off. Might it be possible to add this feature there?

Thanks and best regards

Claus