Hearing a "click" sound when I add a track

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

55Dudester

Hearing a "click" sound when I add a track

Post by 55Dudester »

Hi
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, but recently, when I add a new track somewhere in the middle of the song, when the the timing bar arrives to the new track, I hear a 'click' sound, which gets recorded and heard on playback....which is very annoying, and ruins the quality of the recording. I've tried pulling the volume line down, but it doesn't remove the sound. This happens the second the time bar hits the added track. Never had this issue before. By the way, I'm using Mixcraft 7 with most recent updates (purchased & registered). Any suggestions ?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Be well,
Ray. :D
PS : This does NOT happen in Mixcraft 6 for some reason.
Starship Krupa

Re: Hearing a "click" sound when I add a track

Post by Starship Krupa »

I'm assuming that what you mean is that you start recording a clip in the middle of a song, and at the beginning of the clip, you get a click sound when you get to the leading edge of that clip.

Terminology clarification, "clip" vs. "track."

A possible workaround for this is to zoom all the way in on the clip and use clip automation (not the track automation) to pull the volume all the way down at the very beginning of the clip.

If this is what you have already tried, then forgive me, maybe if you make the volume transition more gradual it would help.

There is a feature request in to do this automatically, or with a button or right click in future versions of Mixcraft and I hope it is implemented soon. It happens from time to time when splitting clips and it's a pain to do manually.
-Erik
55Dudester

Post by 55Dudester »

I don't understand why it doesn't "click" when I do the same thing in Mixcraft 6 though. My settings are the same. For now, I am forced to record using Mixcraft 6, instead of Mixcraft 7, because I can't accept that 'click' in my recordings. I don't know how to "zoom all the way in on the clip and use clip automation"....is there a YT video on that ? Thanks for the reply.
Ray
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

You could just zoom in on the track, highlight the click and delete it. Of course automation is just as easy and will keep your track length the same. Plus, learning automation is a huge part of recording, sometimes too huge...... :mrgreen:

M
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

p. 195 in the Mixcraft manual describes it. Don't know about YouTube.
-Erik
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hi Ray,
Usually all you need to do is zoom in on the offending clip and edit in a "micro fade" like this:
microfade.png
microfade.png (4.7 KiB) Viewed 8047 times
Many people do this at the beginning and end of all edited clips as habit, to prevent any unwanted noises.

It is odd that its not doing it in MX6, I have found it to be less of a problem in later versions myself.
Stuff happens.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
55Dudester

Post by 55Dudester »

Mark Bliss wrote:Hi Ray,
Usually all you need to do is zoom in on the offending clip and edit in a "micro fade" like this:
microfade.png
Many people do this at the beginning and end of all edited clips as habit, to prevent any unwanted noises.

It is odd that its not doing it in MX6, I have found it to be less of a problem in later versions myself.
Stuff happens.
Thanks for the reply Mark, it's deeply appreciated. But I apologize for not understanding (old age I guess). I can see the 'zoom' option in the 'view' tab, and I often do zoom in to edit unwanted noises between singing phrases and to make things dead silent between the those phrases etc, but I'm not getting what you mean by "micro fade".
So even though I do that, the 'clicking' noise happens right when it hits the 'clip'....not the actual voice or instrument part. I know it's just a split second 'clicking' noise, but it's none the less something very noticeable when saved and played back....ruining the project.
Thanks for your help, and hopefully I'll be able to figure out what 'micro fade" is, but from what I see on the picture you attached, that's pretty well what I have always done...bring the volume bar down to the bottom. Mixcraft 7 did not make the 'clicking' noise before, and just started doing that recently, when I would add a 'clip' in middle of the recording.
Hope you're having a great weekend. Thanks again.
Ray.
55Dudester

Post by 55Dudester »

Starship Krupa wrote:p. 195 in the Mixcraft manual describes it. Don't know about YouTube.
There's a physical paper manual for Mixcraft ????
55Dudester

Post by 55Dudester »

Rolling Estonian wrote:You could just zoom in on the track, highlight the click and delete it. Of course automation is just as easy and will keep your track length the same. Plus, learning automation is a huge part of recording, sometimes too huge...... :mrgreen:

M
I use automation all the time...still get the clicking noise when the bar hits a new clip in the middle of a project.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

"micro fades" are the small little clip gain automations I am highlighting in red, at the beginning and end of the clips:
micro fade 2.png
micro fade 2.png (8.98 KiB) Viewed 8029 times
It helps to zoom in on the track view, so you can clearly see the wave form, and locate the fade so that it exists in (relative) silence. Where there is no wave form. Sometimes with smaller wave forms it helps to widen the track as well, making the waveform appear larger.

If you edit the clip gain into a wave form like this illustrates:
micro fade 3.png
micro fade 3.png (5 KiB) Viewed 8029 times
You will likely create a click or noise.

If using this method doesn't eliminate the noise, its going to take some close scrutiny and detective work that is hard to guide you through via the forum. It would really help to have a copy of the project to scrutinize.

A hard copy of the users guide was available, included in the box set version I think through Mixcraft 7. It has become rather large and wieldy, and discontinued for Mixcraft 8. But one could easily print out a version from the PDF if desired.
I just keep it handy for reference via my web browsers favorites.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
55Dudester

Post by 55Dudester »

[img][img][/img][/img]
Mark Bliss wrote:"micro fades" are the small little clip gain automations I am highlighting in red, at the beginning and end of the clips:
micro fade 2.png
It helps to zoom in on the track view, so you can clearly see the wave form, and locate the fade so that it exists in (relative) silence. Where there is no wave form. Sometimes with smaller wave forms it helps to widen the track as well, making the waveform appear larger.

If you edit the clip gain into a wave form like this illustrates:
micro fade 3.png
You will likely create a click or noise.

If using this method doesn't eliminate the noise, its going to take some close scrutiny and detective work that is hard to guide you through via the forum. It would really help to have a copy of the project to scrutinize.

A hard copy of the users guide was available, included in the box set version I think through Mixcraft 7. It has become rather large and wieldy, and discontinued for Mixcraft 8. But one could easily print out a version from the PDF if desired.
I just keep it handy for reference via my web browsers favorites.
That is exactly what I am doing, the clicking starts the second it hits the beginning of the clip....not where the voice or instrument begins. I lower the volume automation to it's lowest, but as soon as the bar hits the clip...it makes that clicking noise at the beginning....never at the end of it. If you can tell me how to send you a copy, I would gladly make a make a quick and simple recording, just to show you what it does.
55Dudester

Post by 55Dudester »

Well, it's still doing it, no matter what I try, so I guess I'm screwed with Mixcraft 7, and I'll simply go back to using Mixcraft 6, until the problem is solved with 7. :?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Apologies Ray, I got busy as usual doing ten things+ at once and this thread slipped my feeble mind.

First a note that it is highly unlikely that there will be any further changes to MX7, as we are well into MX8 now. And another thought, if it were a chronic/unsolvable issue with Mixcraft, we would have likely seen more about this like 2 plus years ago.

So lets have a look. I would like to suggest you submit a support ticket with an attached copy of a project showing the problem. A stripped down partial project just showing the problem should be fine for this.

I'd also be curious to have a look if you care to send me a PM with a link to the project folder hosted in a file sharing service. I use both Drop Box and Google Drive for this.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Does it happen with Mixcraft 8?

One thing to check with Mixcraft 7 would be the settings in sound device preferences. The audio driver settings could have an effect on this problem. You could set Mixcraft 7's settings to match the settings you're using in Mixcraft 6.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101