AAC

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

aj113

AAC

Post by aj113 »

Any plans for aac import/export?
Acoustica Greg

Re: AAC

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Last time we thought about that, it was a proprietary Apple format that would require us to shell out big bucks to support it.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
aj113

Post by aj113 »

It's not an Apple format. It's a standard format used by YouTube among others. It was designed to succeed mp3 and it looks like that is what's happening. It's also the audio format for mp4 video.
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

I've never heard of it belonging to Apple, although it is under patent.

Perhaps it's time to check again on that licensing.

I use a freeware program to convert AAC files for use with Mixcraft (and to convert the files that Mixcraft makes into AAC's), so it can't be all that spendy to implement, can it?
-Erik
aj113

Post by aj113 »

MC must already be implementing it in some shape or form in order to edit mp4 videos.
mick

Post by mick »

It appears itunes uses AAC suggesting its an Apple format but I just found this if it helps to clarify one or two issues.

AAC: Apple’s Preferred Audio Codec
It seems that almost every day I read something about people not wanting to rip their music in AAC (the default format for iTunes and the iPod) because “it’s a proprietary format”, or “because it is owned by Apple.” I see this in forums and blog comments from people who seem to have a fair understanding of technical issues. Yet these thoughts are caused by confusion, a lack of information, and, perhaps, a tricky abbreviation.

Some people think AAC stands for Apple Audio Codec; it doesn’t, its real name is Advanced Audio Coding. It’s true that Apple was the first major hardware or software manufacturer to champion AAC over MP3, but this format is simply a part of the MPEG-4 standard, and is owned by a consortium of companies. Like MP3, this format is available to all for licensing, and there are even open-source encoders and decoders for AAC. This page on Wikipedia goes into detail about this audio format.

AAC is used for the DVD-Audio format, and HE-AAC is used with digital terrestrial television. Most hardware and software players support AAC, and the format offers many advantages: better quality at equivalent bit rates, meaning you can rip your music in smaller files; multi-channel capabilities; higher resolution audio, with sampling rates up to 96 kHz; and much more.

So why are some people afraid of using AAC? The proprietary claim is simply one of ignorance. AAC is here to stay; it’s not Apple’s audio format, and most devices and software support it. If you still think that AAC is “owned by Apple,” think again.

Oh, and that Apple Lossless, or ALAC, format? Apple did create it, but it’s now open source. So you don’t have to worry about using that either.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

It's only natural for the developer and patent holders (stock holders?) to promote their product, especially if it's licensable. The Fraunhofer Society stands to gain plenty as their licensing of the MP3 format added 300 million Euros to their bank account.

Other players include Sony, and (from what I understand) with rights management built into the CODEC, they would obviously be glad to have it.

What about FFMPEG as a reasonable alternative to the Mix?
aj113

Post by aj113 »

AHornsby wrote:...What about FFMPEG as a reasonable alternative to the Mix?
Well, if you can convince the rest of the world, I say go or it, but until then, the world is going the way of AAC.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

aj113 wrote:
AHornsby wrote:...What about FFMPEG as a reasonable alternative to the Mix?
Well, if you can convince the rest of the world, I say go or it, but until then, the world is going the way of AAC.
Hey I'm on your side. Some folks in the USA have some convoluted idea that patents should be given on software and I don't agree with that.(It don't matter anyhow 'cause the Ruskies can hack it! :D) There are many different ways to write code and patenting any singular result is just dumb.

As far as the "rest of the world" goes... they can try.

I do see though where the top 8 distributions of Linux average about 10,000 hits per day and I'm pretty certain that AAC as we know it won't/can't exist in that world.
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

Hoo boy.

1. FFMPEG can create/convert AAC handily. "FFmpeg 3.0 (nicknamed "Einstein" ) retained build support for the Fraunhofer FDK AAC encoder." (Wikipedia)

2. There are many media creators/convertors/players that run in LINUX that create/convert/play AAC. (VLC for instance)

Mixcraft is really the only audio software I use that can't play, import, or create AAC files. It ain't that big a thing because I have Mediahuman, which works a treat, but Acoustica should at least put that support in there for version 9.
-Erik
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

AHornsby wrote: I do see though where the top 8 distributions of Linux average about 10,000 hits per day and I'm pretty certain that AAC as we know it won't/can't exist in that world.
Erik: What I meant was to exist as the lone wolf.
BillW

Post by BillW »

Moving back to the misconception that AAC is Apple proprietary -
I will say I held that mistaken belief myself until this board educated me.

Why? Because Apple was the only one I ever heard using it;
It didn't work on other players;
Apple had DRM coded in as well, adding to the over-simplistic belief that they owned AAC and it only worked on Apple devices.

I agree it's time for Acoustica to look into it again; if AAC is superior to MP3, they sure don't want to be caught behind.

To me - I will stick with FLAC as a superior alternative - compressed (though only by about a third) and lossless.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

BillW wrote:...

To me - I will stick with FLAC as a superior alternative - compressed (though only by about a third) and lossless.
That would be the ideal way forward IMO. We've got the storage and the improved network speeds these days, so there's no reason why we can't do it. It would solve a shedload of problems and improve the quality of music globally. Until then, the best option is AAC IMO.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Okay, thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
BillW

Post by BillW »

I bought a Fiio X1 a while ago in part because it used a micro SD card for relatively "infinite" storage (just carry around a bunch of tiny cards in some case that can be labeled in some fashion.)

I haven't filled up even one card yet.

It plays many formats, including HD, AAC, MP3, FLAC, OGG, WAV. And I'm sure many others I'm not aware of.

But I read something just today in checking if it did AAC - don't know if it was written by the manufacturer or a reviewer - and it said something like "it can play non-DRM AAC files to be compatible with Apple."

Yep - the mindset is that AAC = Apple
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.