File Icons missing

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Greg

Re: File Icons missing

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft is expecting the files to be in a specific location, with a specific name. If you move files or folders around, or if you rename files or folders, then you may end up with missing files. You get the wrong file if you allow Mixcraft to search for the missing files and it finds a different file with the same name. We tried to avoid this problem in recent versions of Mixcraft by giving each recording a unique number, but if you were working with recordings from older versions of Mixcraft, the problem could still happen.

Eric often recommends the utility Everything by voidtools.com. This little program allows you to search your computer for files much more efficiently than Windows itself does, and you can often find misplaced files that you wouldn't be able to find otherwise.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

OK Greg. Thanks for the link. Lastly I'm still not getting notifications of when you post a response. Any idea why? Note..post 139.
"The Older I Get The Better I Was!"
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You checked that option on your last post? I'll try it on this post. I put a check mark next to "Notify me when a reply is posted."

Greg
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

Not working. BTW all post are the same number? How do I draw attention to any specific one? :?
Last edited by ron-e-g on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I got a notification when you posted. Look at the email address you're using for your ron-e-g account. Maybe it's going to an email address you're not checking.

Greg
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Theres a bunch of things rolled into this thread, but here's a few suggestions:

First, I am getting email notices for each comment because I am subscribed to the thread-
Subcribe to topic here..png
Subcribe to topic here..png (22.06 KiB) Viewed 6350 times
Next, earlier in the thread you mentioned you have been deleting the seemingly unneeded icon image.
If you delete that from the folder, Windows substitutes a generic file image, and as I found out long ago doing that, it makes it harder to discern the project file folders from other files. I learned to leave 'em.

Fixing the rest of this mess is complicated and time consuming, I've been there- though it was quite some time ago as I learned how this works.

Prevention is key, and I assure you- it has to do with how you are saving the projects. (Cant speak for how other DAW products do this, only have any knowledge of a few, and that knowledge is limited in this area.)

First, as Greg has indicated- understanding that a Mixcraft project file is nothing more than an instruction set for how the DAW uses the project assets, and doesn't contain any of the audio files etc. is critical.
When you "save" a Mixcraft project, it simply saves those instructions. "save as" provides an opportunity to change the project name (or more commonly, project version.) but still, doesn't effect the audio assets.

What works for me-
When I start a project, I create and name a folder for that specific project. Using the default location in "my documents/Mixcraft projects/" is wise, and reduces mistakes. (I have had a nasty habit of doing "temporary" projects in folders on my desktop, and suggest from experience, it is unwise.)
Saving the project file to that folder, and placing/moving/saving all recorded, downloaded, (whatever applies) project audio assets to that folder keeps everything neat and tidy, and I have ZERO problems with scattered files, as everything is associated and located in one place. Projects run smoother and I can focus on far more important things, like my coffee. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

I got a notification when you posted. Look at the email address you're using for your ron-e-g account. Maybe it's going to an email address you're not checking.

Greg
That was weird! Yesterday I did as you suggested. In UCP my email had been changed by one symbol..enough to render it useless to me. Then it inactivated my account..couldn't remember my password... seemed different than the one I had just used to change my email error..couldn't log back on! Any way got it straightened out.
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

Mark Bliss wrote: earlier in the thread you mentioned you have been deleting the seemingly unneeded icon image.
If you delete that from the folder, Windows substitutes a generic file image, and as I found out long ago doing that, it makes it harder to discern the project file folders from other files. I learned to leave 'em.
Hello Mark, Well not exactly, What I was trying to say was some of the project folders had project names assigned to them. When opened, they only had the folder icon inside like the one I showed. This icon is new to me seems it must have originated from MC8 maybe? That I have only fairly recently upgraded to. Too, I would make sure that "all Mixcraft Project types" was selected in the "Files of type" box.

Fixing the rest of this mess is complicated and time consuming, I've been there- though it was quite some time ago as I learned how this works.

Prevention is key, and I assure you- it has to do with how you are saving the projects. (Cant speak for how other DAW products do this, only have any knowledge of a few, and that knowledge is limited in this area.)

First, as Greg has indicated- understanding that a Mixcraft project file is nothing more than an instruction set for how the DAW uses the project assets, and doesn't contain any of the audio files etc. is critical.
When you "save" a Mixcraft project, it simply saves those instructions. "save as" provides an opportunity to change the project name (or more commonly, project version.) but still, doesn't effect the audio assets.

What works for me-
wrote:When I start a project, I create and name a folder for that specific project. Using the default location in "my documents/Mixcraft projects/" is wise, and reduces mistakes. (I have had a nasty habit of doing "temporary" projects in folders on my desktop, and suggest from experience, it is unwise.)
I agree. I do as you, I have a dedicated file for all Mixcraft Projects. Where we differ is that I don't have the foresight to name a project like you do. (wish I did). I usually start in a pre-designed template..then noodle around with an idea. After I let the noodeling results (sound) decide my project name. However none of this changes the save process does it. I mean after I'm done noodeling around, creating drum tracks, adding FX, and what ever else. I close the program. That automatically brings up the save window. I then choose to either save it ..in my default location (I mentioned earlier) or not.[/quote]
But with tat said we are very much alike in another way We both like our coffee! :mrgreen:
wrote:Saving the project file to that folder, and placing/moving/saving all recorded, downloaded, (whatever applies) project audio assets to that folder keeps everything neat and tidy, and I have ZERO problems with scattered files, as everything is associated and located in one place. Projects run smoother and I can focus on far more important things, like my coffee. 8)
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

ron-e-g wrote:
Mark Bliss wrote: earlier in the thread you mentioned you have been deleting the seemingly unneeded icon image.
Hello Mark, Well not exactly, What I was trying to say was some of the project folders had project names assigned to them. When opened, they only had the folder icon inside like the one I showed. This icon is new to me seems it must have originated from MC8 maybe? That I have only fairly recently upgraded to. Too, I would make sure that "all Mixcraft Project types" was selected in the "Files of type" box.

Mark Bliss wrote:What works for me-
When I start a project, I create and name a folder for that specific project. Using the default location in "my documents/Mixcraft projects/" is wise, and reduces mistakes. (I have had a nasty habit of doing "temporary" projects in folders on my desktop, and suggest from experience, it is unwise.)

I agree. I do as you, I have a dedicated file for all Mixcraft Projects. Where we differ is that I don't have the foresight to name a project ahead of time, like you do. (wish I did). I usually start in a pre-designed template..then noodle around with an idea. After I let the noodeling results (sound) decide my project name. However none of this changes the save process does it. I mean after I'm done noodeling around, creating drum tracks, adding FX, and what ever else. I close the program. That automatically brings up the save window. I then choose to either save it ..in my default location (I mentioned earlier) or not.
But with that said, we are very much alike in another way We both like our coffee! :mrgreen:
Mark Bliss wrote:Saving the project file to that folder, and placing/moving/saving all recorded, downloaded, (whatever applies) project audio assets to that folder keeps everything neat and tidy, and I have ZERO problems with scattered files, as everything is associated and located in one place. Projects run smoother and I can focus on far more important things, like my coffee. 8)
I think one thing that has always confused me was how MC always saves it files as the version of what ever program created it. Like MX4, or Mx5, so forth and so on. Rather than just a simple Mixcraft type. So every time we change to the current version of MC that version wants to change every version prior.
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

Here is what confuses me. But keep in mind..I'm pretty dence! :mrgreen: I open a project (notice it's an older one mx5) I listen to it. If I make any changes when I go to close it brings up the save option window. If I select yes..it brings up the window shown. Notice in that window the name of the song is not pre selected in the "file name" box. Not only is it not selected..it's not even shown in my Mixcraft Projects..so as I can select it to save as the very same project name. I only changed the volume of track one slightly! I don't want to completely re-name the project. But as you can see, I have to completely re-type the name. What If I make an error..Capitalization or spelling?

I must be missing something here..surely. :D
Attachments
Re type the name.JPG
Re type the name.JPG (307.44 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

So it would seem, the "load a project" window is different than a "save a project" window. (See the save window last post) Why would that be?
Attachments
Load window.JPG
Load window.JPG (508.58 KiB) Viewed 6333 times
Project save process1.JPG
Project save process1.JPG (481 KiB) Viewed 6333 times
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Man, now your confusing me! :lol:
(None of that happens to me FWIW.)

The difference between those two windows would be that one is looking for "Mixcraft Project.MX8" files, (Because you have the project open in Mixcraft 8.) the other is "All Mixcraft Projects"

Ron, I'd suggest part of your solution would involve updating old projects you want to re-open to the current Mixcraft version. It would make organizing far easier IMO. IE: Make them all MX8 projects.
There's no strong reason to, but if it makes you feel better you could archive old copies. But is there any real reason to open Mixcraft 5 to re-open an old project?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

Mark Bliss wrote:Man, now your confusing me! :lol:
(None of that happens to me FWIW.)

The difference between those two windows would be that one is looking for "Mixcraft Project.MX8" files, (Because you have the project open in Mixcraft 8.) the other is "All Mixcraft Projects"
exactly! why does it do that? I mean why Mixcraft8, and not just Mixcraft!!
Mark Bliss wrote:Ron, I'd suggest part of your solution would involve updating old projects you want to re-open to the current Mixcraft version. It would make organizing far easier IMO. IE: Make them all MX8 projects.
How would that be done Mark? I hope it don't involve opening every older project and manually saving as a Mixcraft 8 file. :roll:
Mark Bliss wrote:There's no strong reason to, but if it makes you feel better you could archive old copies. But is there any real reason to open Mixcraft 5 to re-open an old project?
No I have no real love of seeing the extensions of older versions of the program on my song folders/files/names. However if I understand you you are suggesting I still have these versions loaded on my computer? Cuz I don't they were deleted long ago.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

ron-e-g wrote: why does it do that? I mean why Mixcraft8, and not just Mixcraft!!
That would be largely a Windows thing, as it always has to have file extensions that associate with the program the file was created in. And remember the filing system tries to be everything to everyone. It wasn't designed to suit the needs of just you or I.
ron-e-g wrote: How would that be done Mark? I hope it don't involve opening every older project and manually saving as a Mixcraft 8 file.
Well, yeah, you do have to have the project open and save it. But its not like you have to go do each of them all at once. More like: the next time you open an old project, simply save it as a MX8 project. Which by the way is what all that confusion is trying to prompt you to do. I am afraid you have created most of this difficulty by not doing that as you went already.......
ron-e-g wrote:However if I understand you you are suggesting I still have these versions loaded on my computer? Cuz I don't they were deleted long ago.
No, that's not exactly it. But even with the old versions of Mixcraft gone, you still have a folder of old projects versions, and I don't intend to sound preachy, nor do I judge..... as I have been there. But in addition to the above I must point out- If you have that many unfinished old projects, it may be time to do some weeding.

Convert the ones you know you want to continue working on.
Archive some you might come back to.
And there's the rest. If you are like me, you know what needs to be done.
Another example: Bangen.mx5 and Bangen.mx7 I suspect are redundant.

Looks to me like some house cleaning and organizing might be another part of the solution.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

Mark Bliss wrote:

Convert the ones you know you want to continue working on.
Archive some you might come back to.
And there's the rest. If you are like me, you know what needs to be done.
Another example: Bangen.mx5 and Bangen.mx7 I suspect are redundant.

Looks to me like some house cleaning and organizing might be another part of the solution.
Mark let me complement you on you diplomacy. All well put, and very informative. I totally agree with everything you said in this post. Also gave me a very good idea..Archive some projects! Man, why didn't I think of that long ago! Your right time to clean house again..only that will only give me, and computer yet another place to have to look for that missing vocal in "Can't Explain"... :wink:

In closing this subject. Thank you.. yet again Mark. For your time and wisdom.

Thank You too Greg, you.. as always have been a wealth of information.

Ron