Mixcraft 7 midi keyboard recognized and not playing

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

pacochihuahua77

Mixcraft 7 midi keyboard recognized and not playing

Post by pacochihuahua77 »

I'm not sure how to explain this but after all day of googling and troubleshooting I still can't figure it out. I have mixcraft 7 and a Casio LK-100 with midi capabilities. I've used these two together, the same program, the same keyboard and midi-usb wire. The only difference is the computer, we got a new one. When I plug my midi cable into my pc, mixcraft gives me a notification telling me it recognizes my device is added. I see my device in the midi imput. It is there. I can see it. But when I play on my keyboard the only sound I hear is from my keyboard, not from mixcraft. I'm looking to hear the virtual instrument sounds on the computer when I play the piano, like I have before. I'm in no means a pro. I'm just a kid with a hobby. I've read in other posts by other members with the same problem, that I am literally doing everything right... so what can I do?
Could it be my computer? Or is it mixcraft? Also when I plug in my mic into the mic input, mixcraft does not recognize it, which makes me think its the program.
I've tried different virtual instruments,
I've tried recording (Nothing, it disappears)
Any other sound works (Mp3, using my computer keyboard for the virtual instrument etc.)
I don't have any other programs that I can test it with.
I've tried different usb ports
I don't have and can't get another cable, this one worked before, and it recognizes it's plugged it.
I just don't know....
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Acoustica Greg

Re: Mixcraft 7 midi keyboard recognized and not playing

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Double-check that you have the MIDI Out port on the keyboard connected to the MIDI In connector on the MIDI-to-USB adapter cable.

If you haven't tried simply restarting your computer, try that. Also make sure no other programs are running. Even seemingly innocent programs (like a browser) can intercept MIDI data.

You can test whether MIDI data is getting into your computer with a utility like MIDI Ox.

In regard to your microphone, what did you plug it into? How did you arm the audio track?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

I believe I know what could be the issue. On some keyboards there is a setting to route the output to the computer which might be the 'external' or 'remote' setting. I do not know about Casio but when you turn on your keyboard it might default to the 'internal' or 'local' setting and you have to change that every time you turn it on.

P.S. Check out E-28 of the manual.
pacochihuahua77

I tried restarting my computer and still nothing. I tried turning local off (which I'd never had to do before) and also nothing, even more nothing because it no longer played sound from my casio. I'll try downloading that software.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

And you definitely have "MIDI Out" connected to the "MIDI In" end of the cable?

Greg
pacochihuahua77

I've never been so lost in my life. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
pacochihuahua77

yes It is
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you using a MIDI-to-USB cable? It has two MIDI connectors and a USB connector, right?

Your LK-100 has MIDI Out and MIDI In ports, right?
LK-100 rear panel
LK-100 rear panel
casioLK100rearpanel.png (62.73 KiB) Viewed 6088 times
The MIDI Out on the back of the LK-100 has to connect to the MIDI In on the adapter cable. If you connect MIDI In to MIDI In and MIDI Out to MIDI Out, it won't work.

Does that make sense?

Greg
pacochihuahua77

Hey so, I tested it in my old computer, I am doing everything right, because it worked fine. The only difference is when I plugged it into my old computer it started "Installing Device" but in my new computer it didn't do that and I can't figure out how to make it do that. Both pcs are Hp pavilion laptops with windows 10.

Ps: I knew how to plug it in lol.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Windows needs to install the proper driver for your MIDI-to-USB adapter cable. What kind do you have?

If the driver is already installed, you could try uninstalling it and allowing Windows to install it again.

Greg