Using Pink Noise for a reference mix.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Gedcoz

Using Pink Noise for a reference mix.

Post by Gedcoz »

Hello Everyone, Have you ever mixed with pink noise for a reference mix/ static mix? From my understanding, the mix Buss should be peaking at 0db when pink noise is audible. And while one is using a sound level meter app, the pink noise should be set between 75db for a small room and 85db for a large room. After that --I take it-- you can raise the volume of each instrument so that you can barely hear it over the pink noise. If I'm missing something with this technique, please feel free to correct me. Thanks, Geddy
Acoustica Greg

Re: Using Pink Noise for a reference mix.

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Mick made this post.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Gedcoz

Post by Gedcoz »

Thanks Greg, I did see that video. Here's a couple videos that I found recently about pink noise mixing. I know it's Studio One but of course it can be used in any DAW. Very interesting concept. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayB-FlPxk_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRLZLNI1jBU
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Sorry I missed Mick's original post. Good finds all.

I highly recommend using this method in conjunction with a trim plugin (<standard in Mixcraft Pro 11.02, I hear :lol: ) to set basic levels for each and every track to establish a starting point to level out yer faders before getting into your detailed fader moves on a final mix.

That being said, it's a little tedious and I don't always bother :oops: I'm surprised there isn't a plugin available yet which will compare a pink noise signal with a pink+source signal to automate this process.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

My kids often say: "That's not how it works! That's not how any of this works!"
Seems fitting. :roll:

I am not sure where to start, except to point out how watching those videos makes me feel painfully aware we exist in a society of people with the attention spans of Cocker Spaniels. Cant stay on point. Wander. Distracted. Look! Something shiny!

There is practical knowledge to be gleaned by the theory behind what is vaguely presented. But the presentation fails miserably IMO.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Gedcoz

Post by Gedcoz »

Hey Mark, Sorry you didn't enjoy the video's that me and Mick posted. I found the video's useful for mixing with pink noise and help people get a good static mix. I'm not saying you not going to have to make a couple small adjustments but it seems to get you in better balance between all the instruments more accurately. But this is just my opinion.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Well Geddy, I don't want to seem in any way un-appreciative of the effort of sharing the videos or the idea.

But, I think they did a very poor job of explaining what pink noise is, what they are doing, how the idea works and who it might benefit. And worse, they didn't seem to really provide realistic disclaimers about how it might not benefit some, or many users.

And what little clues that were given took four times or more as long as needed to clearly make the point. Honestly, it bugs the crap out of me how these efforts consistently scatter about two minutes of (often sketchy) information out into 15 minutes of confusion.
And then to top it off viewers often pick up the idea as if were fact, or applicable to every user. It doesn't by any stretch IMO.
And then a dozen folks jump on and add an attempt at their re-interpretation of the original sketchy presentation, usually further diluting the message with more misconception.

You even admitted in the post you weren't really confident in your understanding of the idea. That reaffirms my suspicion the videos don't explain the concept very well to be honest.

Like I wrote, I think there may be some useful information in an understanding of the ideas and concepts.
But using the methods shown without that understanding is IMO probably not a great path to very great results.

Maybe a rough mix/static level for a starting point that is somewhat useful for some styles and genres. Maybe. Perhaps more likely in EDM, Electronic instrumentals than most other styles?
I do not think it is applicable as a blanket mixing method for a wide range of users. Maybe I am being overly skeptical.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page